Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

When is a band not a band anymore?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tahoebob54, Jul 16, 2017.

1. tahoebob54

tahoebob54 Tele-Meister

last week I found out that the Spinners were playing about in Mindin, NV (about 30 miles south of Reno). in the 70's I was a huge fan and I still enjoy listing to there music from that time. The tickets were only $40.00 PP. That got me thinking about the band so Looked up info on them. Only one original member, Henry Fambrough is in the band. Fambrough helped form the band in 1954 all the other members now joined in 2009 or 2013.

Another band that was a favorite of mine from my younger days is Uriah Heep. UH has a very long list of former members, with Mic Box lead guitars being the only founding member. I really don't know how many people have played in Heep but I know tithe has been over 50. UH is still very active in Europe and they still draw big numbers. The thing is that there "Easy Living" days are long past and they do not sound anything like they did years ago.

At least Clifford and Cook from CCR changed the name of the band to "Creedence Clearwater Revisited" when they reformed the band in 1995.

there are so many bands that have the same thing,only one member from the beginning. Some there are two different versions of the same band each having one original member left.

This got me thinking just when is a band not really the same band, except in name only?

Fleetwood Mac is not the same band as when Peter green play for them but they are widely accepted as a legit band, but I don't think that the Beatles would be accepted if Lennon and Harrison we're replaced.

So when does a band, stop being the same band that they are called?

2. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2010
    Warwick, UK
    The Who still seem to be regarded as The Who, despite there only being two members left. On the other hand Brian May and Roger Taylor have received a fair bit of flak for touring as Queen, despite the fact that they are still awesome live. Yes came in for a lot of criticism for continuing to tour after Jon Anderson pulled out with health issues, so I guess it depends on which member(s) of the band are still part of the touring act. Doctor Feelgood are still touring, despite having no original members!

3. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    The Spinners eh, man that's a name I have not heard of in years. I thought Liverpool late 50's, possibly 58 when they were formed..My old Dad had their records in his Skiffle collection that would have been before they became a folk group, never noticed that before but you have folk "Groups" and Rock "Bands".. I think sometimes if there is a band name dispute or more than one member of the original band has an offshoot, then they have to rename the band, Like ELO as they are now Jeff Lynns ELO.
    As long as they play the music we all like, then they will never stop being "the band" to us.

4. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    In answer to the thread title: When you go solo.

5. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    To me, it comes down to spirit of the band and what members remain. Look at Springsteen's E Street Band for example. I think only the bassist (Tallent) has been with Bruce since the beginning, everyone else has been changed several times over and continues to change due to deaths of some members.

Despite all the changes, they have always been the E Street Band in sound and spirit. I guess if both Nils and Steven departed at the same time, it might shift in identity, but as long as one of them is up front with Bruce, it will always feel and sound like the E Street Band.

badfish_lewis likes this.

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    Uriah Heep stopped being anything when Gary Thain passed away, for me.

refin and Dennyf like this.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I remember hearing a story about the group Krokus, how all the founding members had left, and when asked in an interview the origin of the band's name, no one know what it was.

(No idea if that's a true story or not)

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    This is The Four Freshmen in the early 50's

IMG_1586.JPG

Here they are climbing on 70 years and 25 iterations of the band later and yet they are as good and some may argue, better now than ever.

9. Gmountain

Gmountain TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    I love the Four Freshman. Even the modern version.

4pickupguy likes this.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    A band is no longer a band when they become a money-making enterprise, capitalizing on the fame of the original band hits, and tour as a band in name only.

Roger Earl can call the band Foghat, and it's his license to do so.
    But it ain't Foghat.

Mike Love and Bruce Johnston can tour as The Beach Boys, with a bunch of side players, but they really aren't 'The Beach Boys' anymore. They are a money-making franchise now.

Steely Dan is the one notable exception, I guess.
    The only two consistent band members, Donald Fagan and Walter Becker, seemed very much content to use different side players and singers in the studio and on the road, over a great number of years.
    And so, when you see Steely Dan, you really only need to make sure those two guys are on stage, and the rest of the band are understood to be the players du jour.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
    :(

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Jakeboy likes this.

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I would say some band members are key to the band's sound with song writing credits and notoriety. Some members play a supporting role. If John Fogerty was the only guy left in CCR, It would still be CCR ( assuming there could and would be a modern CCR) in my eyes, since the others had a smaller supporting role in the band.

12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    Then there's the polar opposite, where one player gone makes the rest bogus to me - Lynyrd Skynyrd should've changed their name after Ronnie VanZandt died.

Ron R, tonytrout, Fiesta Red and 3 others like this.

13. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    The Little River Band is arguably one of Australia's greatest bands. However these days not only are there no original members left, there aren't even any Australians in the band.

Toto'sDad and suthol like this.

14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Little Feat

Nowhere near the same without Lowell George and now without Ritchie Hayward.

Durtdog and nojazzhere like this.

15. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

That's just not right!

Are they still in 'straya? If they are, please lobby for deportation.:twisted:

16. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    I like Little River Band but I thought they renamed the band to LRB back in the 70's or early 80's. Sleeper Catcher and First Under The Wire are favorites.

Carl

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Maybe it just depends on the longevity of the replacement members. Ron Wood comes to mind replacing Mick Taylor and Brian Jones. He's been in the band long enough to be considered a "stone". Same with Joe Walsh as an Eagle.

18. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    The band has always officially been called Little River Band. "LRB" is just an abbreviation.

19. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

To me when at least 50% of members are remaining (from a period of the band's peak period) constitutes them as still being the official or actual band. But anything below that I don't consider them the actual band any longer but rather a cover band.

20. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

To me Deep Purple is not Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore so there goes my theory. ;-)

nojazzhere likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.