Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

When guitars designed for a specific kind of music are used in a very different way.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Well as is the case with every guitar, a good player can play a show on anything he's handed. As showcased in this clip of Earth Wind and Fire where they had the Great George Benson guesting on a tele style guitar and he still ended up sounding like George Benson.

But sometimes a guitar is specifically designed for a type of music and will look hopelessly out of place with anything else.

As was the case with THIS...
    [​IMG]
    The Peavey Mystic, with its multi cutaway body, hot Humbuckers and speedy neck was created to please the heavy metal kind of player and it sure didn't look out of place with Hamer Vectors, Ibanez Destroyers and BC Rich Warlocks from the same era.

But when the singer of THIS band adopted one, it suddenly didn't look as Metal anymore...

Then we have the Gibson RD bass.
    [​IMG]
    Well again, the looks say everything here, this bass was built to rock and was built as a rock too, as long time fan of the type Nirvana bass player Krist Novoselic, proved many times over how tough an RD is. Stating that he could toss it into a wall and he didn't even need to retune it when picking it again.

But the bass player in this footage used his RD for something VERY different...

bparnell57 and kuvash like this.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I would say all solid bodies apply, as they were meant to stop sustain bloom and overdriven tones.

3. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    It would be cooler if George autographed it and sold it on eBay.

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    A lot of our opinions opinions and perception about guitars, and I guess most other things, are based on conformity/herd mentality. When this kind of discussion comes up I immediately think of classical guitars. They all look the same, except for small cosmetic differences, but there are some very big differences in functional design and construction. Smallman classicals, for example, such as John Williams plays, are built nothing at all like a conventional classicals , they just look the same. John Williams also played an Ovation in Sky, he still sounded like John Williams.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I don't think Telecasters and Stratocaster were designed for blues , or rock, or metal, but they have been used for that and quite well. I don't think Leo ever envisioned what Jimi would do with a Strat!
    And Jazzmasters were not intended for surf or punk, but they work for that, not so much for Jazz though.

If a guitar has strings most likely it can be used for a lot of different genres.

6. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I could never get why Ted Nugent played Gibson Byrdlands all these years. In my mind (when I was young and a bit more foolish) his music begged to be played on a Les Paul at the very least. Now, I am of the opinion that you can play whatever you want on whatever you like, but yeah sometimes you still have to just shake your head at a metal dude playing a Telecaster.

thunderbyrd likes this.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

8. logankolarick

logankolarick Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    I think the big thing to remember is that an electric guitar, at its core, is a piece of wood, that has metal strings and pickups. Most of what is associated with genres are simply cosmetic. ie: pointy guitars= metal. While guitars specifically designed for metal have a very flat fretboard radius, and high output humbuckers typically, and they sport that "heavy" look, If you put the same pickups and a neck with the same radius on a tele, it would play and sound almost identical.

You can play metal on a tele. You can play blues on a jackson. It's mostly just looks, and the judgements people have over certain shapes.

But your point is that it just looks out of place, and i completely agree.

9. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Ain't that a hoot....

10. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California

11. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California

12. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Sorry for malfunction moderator please delete.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.