Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

When did nitro start smelling like cake?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by beyer160, May 17, 2018.

1. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    This year I've acquired a couple of newer guitars (Fender and Gibson) that have nitro lacquer finishes, and are still outgassing. They have a unique sweet smell that I don't remember older guitars having when they were new. I used some Behlen's String Instrument Lacquer a few years ago to touch up a guitar, and it had a unique pungent odor (sort of like rotten fruit) that I remember old spray paint having. Once you smell it, you don't forget it- very different than the pleasantly sweet smell my new guitars have.

I'm assuming this is a new, more environmentally friendly formulation. When did this change?

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    It was all good til the fellas in the band started calling me Cupcake...

Wildcard_35 likes this.

3. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Probably a water based lacquer versus the old chemical based lacquer. I have noticed that some of the new formulas have a distinct different smell to them.

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Telecake.jpg

Mmmmmmm...cake.

Wally, AAT65, RodeoTex and 5 others like this.

5. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles

I thought that was my guitar case. The vanilla smell. Is that the nitro?

6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Nitrocellulose and water aren't going to play nice together as a solvent

7. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    I assume it's the Nitro and the plush from the case absorbs and retains the smell for a long time. I bought a used 2017 LP and it had that vanilla smell which faded away over time. Last week I put it back in the case for a couple of days and now it smells brand new.

It's really interesting how there's this much uncertainty on the topic. No matter what site I've gone to, there's people on claiming both sides. You'd think it would be clearly one or the other, but the debate rages to this day.

8. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I have a 2017 Firebird that was sold with a bag and had never been in a case when I got it, and it has the cake smell.

9. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    The last two cans I got from Stew Mac smelled like nerve agent - took at least two weeks for the smell to dissipate from my garage.

RodeoTex likes this.

10. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I have an SKB case that smells like vanilla flavored tobacco. My Strat stinks of it whenever I take it out of the case, which isn't often.

11. Funny I noticed a funny/not normal smell on my Gibson ES-339 I bought a couple of months ago, but didn't place it to smell like cake. I went and just took a big sniff and it does smell like cake (sweet). I bought a new 54 Fender 60th Strat a few months before that (made in 2013), no such sweet smell on that one though.

12. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    The nitro on my guitars smells like Banana Splits. f8b33256427ee795.jpg

13. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Holic

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Perhaps cake has started smelling like nitro. Has anyone considered that..?

2 Headed Goat and Billnchristy like this.

14. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That was my first thought. There's poison in pretty much everything these days. Why not cake?

15. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Geeez...I thought the thread was going to be about the ales they charge with nitro these days, and I was going to say it's not the gas, but it's the types of barley that they are using that smell biscuity....
    DOHHhhhhhh

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    There was a mix up with the package labeling at the distributor warehouse for some shipments, you may have received nerve agent instead of nitro lacquer... one of the first signs you've been affected is hearing "Yanni" instead of "Laurel"...
    :D

mgreene likes this.

17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    My Midtown still has the cake smell even though its a satanic 2015 model .I wonder if they could produce a bacon sandwich smell as an alternative.

18. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah I love that cake aroma... I have a new-ish gibson double cut LP jr. that smells fantastic. I think I've even been picking it up for general noodling more often than my other guitars because of the smell, lol.

19. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Remember that when I bought my LP Studio it had that sweet smell (now it smells like an ash pot, my bad...).
    Nitro paint that I have applied by myself doesn't smell as good.

RodeoTex likes this.

20. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    Blue Bill likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.