When Did Buying An Acoustic Become So Confusing???

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by colchar, May 18, 2019.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Yup, and I wish to hell I had learned on an acoustic. Then again, I am changing some things about how I play so in some ways I am starting over, which is part of the motivation for getting a lifetime acoustic now.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  2. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

I can only speak of what i have, maybe helpful, maybe not.
    I bought a new Martin mainly because of brand name, and at the time a good price for an all wood Martin guitar, a DR (rosewood). The more i played it, the less i liked it. Couldn't exactly put my finger on it but the fretboard was difficult. The sound of a rosewood body was fabulous, really booming but it was just tough to play.
    I found a Gibson J100 jumbo in a used shop and it is now my #1 and i pray nothing happens to it, it would be very expensive to replace, much more than the $1050 i paid. Mahogany body and spruce top, it is not the boomer the Martin is but it's very well balanced and VERY easy to play. Not fancy, a plain tobacco burst with dot inlays and plain pickguard but i'll say it's the best acoustic i ever played and never shopped for another.
    One downside to a dreadnaught, even the small Martin; my body is feeling its age and putting my picking arm over a dreadnaught involves some pain...the only guitar shopping i might do now is a search for an OM or similar small body.
    I doubt this all helps but i hope so.

colchar likes this.
  3. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Those J100's are great guitars. I bought a used one with bubinga back and sides back in 2010. Love it. OK, so now, with a Dread, a J45, and a Gibson super jumbo, you can cover a lot of ground. See where this is going?

colchar and verb boten like this.
  4. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Yes, he needs one of each. :D

loco gringo likes this.
  5. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

You will both be hearing from my bank manager shortly.

verb boten likes this.
  6. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

After playing a friends D28 a year ago, I got the wants for a high end guitar... It’s taken me about a year to get to buying - multiple trips to multiple guitar shops trying as many guitars as I could. Try to ignore that badge on the headstock and just concentrate on what feels good and speaks to you. Try as. I have as you can and take your time....

I found I kept coming back to the same model time after time - for me a Martin 000-18. I was desperately trying to find something cheaper that spoke in the same way but there was just something that to me stood out.

telestratosonic and colchar like this.
  7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 TDPRI Member

I have a Martin d28 and Gibson j15. The Gibson is much cheaper, and I highly recommend checking it out.

One thing to consider.. If you don't need electronics right away, you are definitely better off without them. Under saddle pickups interfere with the acoustic sound unplugged.

I had the ust removed and installed a kk mini instead. Unplugged, it sounds better now.

telestratosonic and colchar like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.