When Did Buying An Acoustic Become So Confusing???

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by colchar, May 18, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

PS - You mentioned a couple of the Godin companies. None of their guitars fill the bill?

2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been getting AW's emailings - the instruments are attractive, but the company will not respond to my questions about shipping/handling charges.
    Any suggestions on how to get them to engage?

Peace - Deeve

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I've only tried their mid to lower end stuff. Have to check out their higher end models.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the only way you are going to find an acoustic you love, is to start playing every acoustic that you can get your hands on. You may not buy a Pawn shop guitar, but you can play a lot of them to find out what kind of voicing that you prefer. Play every acoustic at a GC or equivalent. Just to experience the different sounds and feels.

I do have one guideline that I have developed and helped others find what they are looking for. These are general guidelines, but nevertheless, a good baseline to start with:
    Martin for country
    Taylor for singers
    Gibson for best basic tone
    Dreads for traditional sounds
    Parlors for bluesy sounds
    Wide necks for finger pickers

I would start with these five traits to tune your ears for voicing. After that, you will be able to hear more unique voicing from other guitars and start to know which types feel best to play. It is quite a fun adventure and just like someone above suggested, prepare to say, "no" 100 times.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

JL_LI and colchar like this.
  5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

6. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly TDPRI Member

Nice to see The OM 28 and 21 love. If you fingerpick, it’s perfection. A surprisingly nice strumming guitar too. I have owned one but currently have a D-28 because I mostly flatpick these days...

colchar and Route67 like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Another option is to buy a average acoustic with a hard to play action. They are the best for practicing on. You adapt to pretty much anything if you put enough hours into playing it. Then every guitar will play amazing and your electrics will feel like a million bucks.

It's not ideal to do that for performing but if you are buying an acoustic to practice on and to improve playing that will do the job.

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

That is a bit strange. I have not dealt with them in the US, I bought mine in Korea and saved quite a bit. Their website does host a live chat window, perhaps that might get you in touch with somebody. I bought one of their production series guitars because his hand made series from Virginia start at $7000 and go up quickly with options:(. I noticed Reverb has a dealer selling new models and there are even a couple of used ones including a Freja 512 like mine at a screaming deal. They are really fantastic guitars.:)

The Freja 512 currently retails for $1365 and this one was posted two months ago, I bet he would take a reasonable offer.
    https://reverb.com/item/20568680-andrew-white-freja-512

From the Reverb posting:

surm0ocul9wgdumhpcbc.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  9. 6String69

6String69 TDPRI Member

Just get a D-18! ;)

Charlie Bernstein and colchar like this.
  10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

colchar likes this.
  11. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

One thing to remember: Acoustics make their sounds mechanically as opposed to (primarily) electro-magnetically. So better materials will yield a better tone. And better materials often mean better workmanship, though not always.
    Large-scale makers like Martin, Taylor, Gibson, etc. need to treat wood like an industrial material. They'll grade and thickness a billet without listening to it. Small scale makers like Santa Cruz Guitar Company and one-at-a-time luthiers like Wayne Henderson can treat a billet individually and shape the tone of each individual instrument.
    Inlays and finishes are eye-candy and don't often translate to better tone. (There is some argument to be made that an abalone binding on (say) a Martin 42 series or 45 series helps to allow the top to vibrate more freely.)
    Don't think about pickups and electronics. Those can be added later and you can choose the exact right system for your needs and your ears.
    Consider buying used, more bang for the buck.

Enjoy the process!
    Daniel

colchar likes this.
  12. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

So here is a question - I am not interested in electronics on an acoustic but I've found a used guitar that I would like to check out which has electronics (the guitar will have to be brought in from another province). I have electronics in my LL6, but they are unobtrusive. This guitar, a Taylor 414, has the three control knobs on the upper shoulder. Having controls there kind of bugs me, but I am wondering if I should force myself to get over this if I like everything else about the guitar, particularly when it is in mint condition and is available for 2/3rds of the price new. Because of the electronics I can't decide whether to have the guitar brought in or not. If it didn't have those I would be all over it.

How much of an issue should I let this be, or should I ignore it if everything else about the guitar works for me?

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  13. GeekPriest

GeekPriest Tele-Meister

I'm loving this thread, as a pretty new player. I started with an electric (a Squier Tele and a counterfeit Strat), but decided the acoustic made it easier for me to tell when I was doing something wrong.

So, what do you mean by "the acoustic hump"?

colchar and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

colchar likes this.
  15. GeekPriest

GeekPriest Tele-Meister

Nice video, but he needs a camera with less barrel distortion. That guitar neck is seriously warped.

16. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I wish you luck my friend... so many to choose from and so many that are fantastic... in many price ranges. Honestly if I were you, I'd only look at the used ones. Some great deals to be had... I bought a USA Breadlove, USA Bedell and a Taylor all used. All fantastic guitars... Heck I even have an all solid wood Fender travel guitar that is great too!

colchar likes this.
  17. Charlie Bernstein

Some folks are so used to electric strings and action that the heavier strings and higher action are too much to deal with. They can't get past that hump.

Whereas people who start on acoustic guitars have an easy time picking up an electric. It's like baseball batters who warm up by swinging a hadful of bats or a weighted bat. When they get up to the plate, a single unweighted bat feels like a feather. Swat!

When I started playing, almost everyone learned on acoustics, then got electrics if they wanted to. The transition was easy. These days, more people learn on electrics. For a lot of them, moving to acoustic is almost like learning guitar all over again.

And you're right. Zero distortion means zero hiding your mistakes!

colchar likes this.
  18. Charlie Bernstein

If you don't it now, you probably won't like it once you own it.

Don't rush to buy. When you meet the right guitar, you'll know it.

colchar likes this.
  19. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Play a bunch of them. I got my first acoustic guitar in 1977. I have owned a lot of them over the years.

Are you thinking primarily bluegrass stuff? Dreadnought. Singer song writer stuff? J45. Finger style? OM or ooo with wide string spacing seem to be favored. All around utility guitar? Martin oooo or J series or Santa Cruz OMG can kind of cover it all. They can handle finger style and have some of the boom of a dread. That said, nothing does dread like a dread. Period.

I could probably exist with a good mahogany dreadnought and a J45. I'm not saying I want to exist with just those two, buy you can cover a lot of ground with those 2 guitars.

Charlie Bernstein and colchar like this.
  20. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I am looking used, but the chain I deal with also has some NOS stuff floating around that is now available at discounted prices so I am looking at those guitars as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.