Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

When a song sneaks up on you...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by CJM3309, Sep 28, 2017.

1. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else and I'm sure it has. The other day I was mowing the lawn with the iPod on shuffle when a song popped up and just hit me the right way. Just scratched my musical itch out of nowhere and I had no idea what the song was at first. Turns out it was "Tears of Rage" by The Band.

Now I know and love the band, but I guess I was mostly listening to Rock of Ages over the years and either forgot about or over looked this one. Or maybe where I am in life made it hit me differently now. I don't know. But it was a happy musical moment indeed.

Have you ever had a song sneak up on you like that? Maybe you heard it before, but for whatever reason it did not click at that moment. Then one day it just hits and all is right in the music world. What song was it? I'm curious if this happens to anyone else.

RyCo1983, ndeli55 and Frank'n'censed like this.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I couldn't even begin to count the number of songs that I was aware of for most of my life, and then all of a sudden it was like hearing them again for the first time, with fresh ears. It's pretty cool when that happens!

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Yes. A couple of years ago. I don't even remember how it came to me, but Shooter Jennings '4th of July '.
    It has sort of become part of my life ever since, yet i still have no idea why.
    I'd post a Link but can't from my phone.

RyCo1983 likes this.

4. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Happens a lot to me. Al Stewart's "Lord Grenville" is one of those. Also, killer guitar tone from (I think…) Big Jim Sullivan and/or Paddy Bush. I'm still obsessed with this song after re-discovering it in 2007

5. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Off the top of my head - U2's Bad. When it first came out, I was pretty ho-hum about. Listening back sometime within the last 12 months it suddenly stood out to me. Great song!

6. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    I was lazing around the garden one sunny day last summer when Dylan's As I Went Out One Morning came on my IPod. Just perfect !

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    when I remember those summer girlfriends

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I had my iPhone / iTunes thingy on shuffle the other evening (keeps me amused on my 1 Hr 45 Min each-way commute) and "Crawling From The Wreckage" by Dave Edmunds suddenly struck up. That took me back to the early 80's and some friends I had back then who were into Rockpile, etc. Been listening to his other stuff all week.

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Eddie Vedder just breathe.
    Heard it a bunch on my Avett Brothers Pandora channel. Never cared for it.
    One day I just heard it. Now I like it a lot. Weird. I think it's a repetition thing.

10. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Southern California
    Ripple. I've loved the Grateful Dead since I got my first 8 track tape deck in 1971. However, Ripple for some reason was a skip it track, or go take a leak track. I was in baaaaad SoCal traffic a few months ago and ripple popped up on my shuffle. The studio version, guitar playing is tame but Jerry's not stoned (his voice sounds good). Hit me like a ton of bricks... I cried & played it repeatedly for the drive home. Way weird....

11. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Bob Dylan's "Red River Shore". It starts out about an old broke down man, a sad story, pathetic. Then the last two verses smack me over the head like a two by four and make me cry every time...

12. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Great responses and part of why I love music. Seems like there is always something new to discover and also re-discover.

I like how Frodebro put it, "like hearing it for the first time with a fresh set of ears". Maybe some songs were meant for different times in everyone's lives.

grooveiron likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.