Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

when a cat pees on a tele... uh, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crisscrosscrash, Aug 14, 2017.

1. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    Great name for a country music song = "When a Cat pees on a Tele.."

I wonder how people would react if Hendrix or Clapton did a pee on their Teles back in the 60s?

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

This, and set the guitar under a high quality UV light made for lizards. The UV light will help lessen the smell. Definitely let some of that anti cat pee stuff in the red bottle sit on the neck though. Don't flood it, but spray on a rag and rub some in. It will take a few times, but will get the job done. I have also had success using a high power ozone generator, which you could turn on and direct it towards the neck. They sell these on Amazon for 75 bucks. It's a really powerful unit. Here's the link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012OW48M2/?tag=tdpri-20

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I wonder if it was not grounded? Would the guitar make the cat's p... arc back to his old fella?;)

Zepfan likes this.

4. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Not sure about the smell, because my Squier Jazzmaster is heavily Poly coated(cat didn't get the fretboard), but seems my cat was sneaking up behind my guitar and peeing on the back.

It had built up like...POLY! I had to use nail polish remover to get it off. Works, but probably not good on more natural finishes or bare wood.

5. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    That stuff is junk. Natures Miracle is the way to go!

6. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Had a cat take a leak on a bookcase..the wood swelled, it stank, so out to the curb with it. And that is my advice, sadly with this guitar...

7. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    Apologies to the OP, but I laughed pretty hard throughout the first four pages of responses.

My wife loves cats. We have three. My natural finish American Standard Telecaster sits in a hard shell case.

8. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island

9. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    What I have found that works best to remove the smell from other things is vinegar. I have no experience with it on a guitar, but I would mix some with water and wipe it down really well then let it dry are repeat. It might take four or five applications, but once you alter the smell enough with the vinegar, the vinegar smell will air out over time, and you can add a little oil to the fretboard if it seems to need it.

I have used Nature's Miracle and in my experience the vinegar works better.

10. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    Fire--I thought you were talking about the cat, at first.

Catgut--Sounds like the OP has a donor for strings for his next classical acoustic build.

11. nervous

nervous TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Beautiful Central NY
    Reading through this is a hoot! I once has a motorcycle that has been targetd on the side by a skunk, stained the plastics and paint and the odor never fully went away.

I am thinking that, if it were me, a couple things woudl happen first. One is get one of those cheap LED UV flashlights to see if you can ID exactly all areas impacted. Someone earlier made a great suggestion of getting into the neck pocket, etc. So, that's the second thing I'd do. Remove that neck and all hardware from the neck. Cats are not that precise in their spraying so I would think the body is also involved here too. That might then involve a bit more disassembly as well, but not a huge deal overall. That's where the light will be most helpful to focus your attack on heavy problem areas and finding them all. I'd think that some has also worked into behind the frets and also the fret slots. You'll have to let whatever cleaner you use work into those areas as well. I think specialized enzymatic cleaners already suggested are the best first products since they are specifically made for your issue. Strings replaced for sure. Good luck and I look forward to your results!

12. nervous

nervous TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Beautiful Central NY
    For the win!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.