Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

when a cat pees on a tele... uh, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crisscrosscrash, Aug 14, 2017.

1. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

This isn't the first thread about this problem and sadly, it most likely won't be the last. Cats and guitars don't mix, so keep them separated by at least one closed door. As for the culprit in this case, I quote Robin Williams from 'Live at the Met' when he's the family dog, commenting on the new baby crapping everywhere: 'Rub his face in man - it worked for me.'

2. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks to E5RSY, every time I see this thread title I hear Michael Bolton belting out 'when a caaaatttt… pees on a tele…' :eek:
    Which is not something anyone should have to hear, even if it's just in their head.

Old Tele man likes this.

3. Merkury

Merkury TDPRI Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Italy
    Try vinegar !!! It should eat the stench !!!! Man this sucks......

4. tewiq

tewiq Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Granby Qc. Canada
    If all else fails , wipe down with acetone and spray a finish on the rosewood, the smell will be sealed forever.

5. Telemarx

Telemarx TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2015
    south africa
    Many years ago I bought an old Ibanez tele copy that came in a case which reeked of something I just couldn't place. It smelled like chemicals and ashtrays and rotten eggs and flowers all the same time - quite an assault on the senses. The tele also had some of that disturbing aroma about it, but a good clean with some multi-surface cleaning spray and a rub down or two with lemon oil took care of most of it. A few days out on the stand and it smelled just fine. No idea if it will work on something like cat pee though...

The case however was a real headache. First tried the saucer with vinegar inside the case trick, no luck. Then I washed it out with carpet shampoo (I know, I know. But I was desperate) which just left it slightly damp and added yet another nuance to the stink. I then left it out in the sun for two days which really helped, but there was still a lingering aroma that I just couldn't help but smell no matter how hard I tried to convince myself it was gone. Closed it up and moved it up to the attic where it's been sitting untouched for better part of a decade now.
    I remember that another player told me back then that I should have tried baking soda as well, because that apparently neutralizes odours as well. Never got around to trying it though.

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Heeere kitty-kitty-kitty.......

reddy2300 likes this.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    First, Korean food.

Second, baking soda, wrap it in an old bedsheet and set it out in the sun.

Third, clean it off and repeat step two with Fabreze.

8. SomeVelvetMorning

SomeVelvetMorning TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Gilford, New Hampshire
    My friend's cat peed in my Rickenbacker case once. THAT sucked. I honestly don't remember how I cleaned it.

9. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    When a Cat Pees on a Tele it leaves A Whiter Shade of Pale :D

seriously though, after all the cleaning, febreezing, coffee powder and whatnot has been done and dried out -- get a vacuum cleaner on the job to suck all smelly particles away.

it helped when I had a tweed amp with a terrible spilt chemical smell.

2blue2 likes this.

10. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Believe it or not, wood itself has antiseptic properties.

There was a study done not too long ago where they were testing wood cutting boards as to the possibility that they might create cross contamination in food prep. What they found was that there was no significant difference between the wood cutting boards and the plastic ones. They still use plastic in professional food prep, but one of the reasons for that is because they stand up better to the dishwashers than wood.

It doesn't surprise me, through. My parents were florists. Plant fibers can be brutal on your hands. My dad's hands were usually blackish-green looking, with splits all over their fingers. When I used to clean flowers, my hands felt like they had been dipped in bleach after a while. I think it has something to do with the fact that the plant fibers are very good at absorbing moisture. It probably siphons off the slime layer of most bacteria, and makes them vulnerable to attack.

So I really don't think the bacteria in cat urine would be an issue in the wood. It might be in, say, your carpet.

11. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    Had something like this, except it was B.O. from a previous owner. You can lock it in a closet with an ionizer, clean repeatedly, leave it in direct sunlight, try "barn odor digester enzyme" from farm supply shop, and over time it will just go away.

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Well, crap...I was thinking of Percy Sledge, not old "Goldilocks" Bolton. Now you done ruined it for me, too. :confused:

RLee77 likes this.

13. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    I don't have an answer for the smell........obviously when a cat pees on something.....they are marking their territory.....or belongings. The guitar now belongs to the cat.

Milspec likes this.

14. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    This seems like the best advise yet. One question though, why do the cats you keep in the bags care if they're standing up or laying down?

15. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I'd cook the cat.

crazydave911 likes this.

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I don't know how many different thoughts cat ponder during their day, but I know two of their major thoughts are, "I can pee on that", and "I can eat that and throw it up later".

2blue2 likes this.

17. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska

It isn't the bacteria in the wood, but the bacteria from the air and on the player's hand that will act on that urine deposit. It will just keep getting worse smell-wise.

18. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    ...also, Philippines, and definitely not a balut(sp?).

19. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    First of all, cats are disgusting. Let's get that out of the way immediately. Second, I had an (ex) girlfriend who was a cat nut; I think she put those cats above everything else in her life including other humans. They pi$$ed all over my 80's Marshall 4X12 cabinet - all over the front of it, repeatedly while it was stored in her dad's garage. I took it to the driveway, removed the speakers (I think they were greenbacks) from it, and sprayed it down with a hose to remove the initial layer of nast from the grille cloth, tolex, and wood. Then I went to a pet store and purchased a special enzyme product that breaks down cat pi$$ and neutralizes it. I applied this two or three times, each time spraying the cabinet with a garden hose after the product soaked in for an hour or so. The final result was a cabinet that had not a trace of cat urine odor. Pretty amazing, actually.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Barncaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.