Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

when a cat pees on a tele... uh, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crisscrosscrash, Aug 14, 2017.

1. crisscrosscrash

crisscrosscrash TDPRI Member

May 8, 2015
    Montreal
    So I built this thinline for a friend last year, and her cat unfortunately peed on the gig bag it was in, and the smell seems to have sunk into the neck pretty thoroughly (i.e., airing it out isn't working). There are no visible stains... just the smell...

The neck is walnut, rosewood fingerboard, Minwax tung oil finish on the walnut.

Is there some tried and true method for removing a cat urine stench?? Do I need to refinish this neck?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TeleOrLes likes this.

2. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    I am afraid your guitar is ruined, however I will pay you one GBP for it..tbh i am cutting my own throat here... :lol:
    No idea how to get rid of the cat piss smell..lovely looking guitar though. :cool:

3. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    HI,

usualy for smelly thing one of the first things to do is to try to wrap it in newspaper for a couple of days, that should get the stink absorbed, i would'n know what else you could use eventually.

TeleOrLes and crisscrosscrash like this.

4. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    Hinterlands, USA
    Growing up, we had a truck that our cat peed in...one time. For decades after that, you could smell it. It was a farm truck, so I guess it didn't matter too much. Good luck, nice guitar.

Maybe eBay with a note "rare aromatic woods"?

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

"When a cat pees on a Tele" -- what a classic Percy Sledge song!

Fred Rogers, drlucky, 71Tele and 12 others like this.

6. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Apparently that CAT grew-up around GIBSONS, not FENDERS (wink,wink).

71Tele, Felino, Barncaster and 3 others like this.

7. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    when a cat pees on a tele

does it make a smell?

robinn likes this.

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    First procedure is to change that cat's name to "Stew", "Stir-Fry" or "Sausage"! The newspaper is a good idea. wrap it tightly, so that it good contact with the wood and change the paper daily or even more often.
    Best Of Luck!
    Gene

9. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Btw,, that's a lovely looking tele ! :D

crisscrosscrash likes this.

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

11. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Assuming the rest of the neck is sealed, I'm guessing it has soaked into the rosewood. You could try putting baking soda liberally on the fretboard?

kafka and Anode100 like this.

12. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Rub cat poop on it. You'll never know there was ever any cat pee on it.

13. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    Vernon B.C.
    Maybe this stuff would work, www.knockout.ca
    I don't have cats any more but it has worked wonders in the past.

14. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    Ah yes, cat pee. Years ago I had a cat "mark" my gig bag holding all of my effect pedals. First. the gig bag. Clean it the best you can inside & out with a mild detergent that's heavy on the perfume. Ajax lemon dish washing detergent is good stuff. Then Febreeze the crap out of it (or a reasonable off brand) & let it dry out side. One day in the sun shouldn't hurt it. The Febreeze removes odors as it dries so make sure that it's dry before checking it for any stink. If it is mostly gone but still has a residual smell, repeat the process. The guitar on the other hand can be a problem if any of the cat spray got under the pick guard, neck joint & plate, pickup routs, & any other openings of the guitar. Try the Ajax (gently!), dry it completely, & spray it lightly with the Febreeze (not a lot!) let it dry, & then spray it lightly with a lemon furniture polish & wipe it down completely. If it still stinks the cat spray got inside. Now you either have to dismantle your guitar or learn to live with it. At least it's what I'd do. :rolleyes:

15. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2016
    Arkansas
    Perhaps wipe the fretboard down with some stuff called nature's miracle. It seems to work well for our cat messes.

http://www.naturesmiracle.com/

IMG_1519.PNG

16. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    These guys http://www.naturesmiracle.com/ make a really good product. They even have a formula especially made for hardwood floors. It has enzymes in it that neutralize pet odors. Be careful how much you use since too much might cause the wood to swell.

17. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    FWIW, ARM & HAMMER™ has a similar product, but I doubt it's good for the wood.

[​IMG]

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana

19. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I've had good luck with Nature's Miracle products on rugs, but Mr Clean does just as well.

John Nicholas likes this.

20. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    I forgot, don't wash the neck!! Try spraying the febreeze on it very lightly as to not raise the grain. Let it dry & check for smell. If it still smells, & the grain didn't raise up, try it again. Such a pretty guitar! Cats always seem to pick a target of value. What a shame! If you do manage to get rid of the smell, I'd keep it in a closet so the cat won't mark it again. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.