Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's your thoughts on this: Born to be happy or unhappy.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I strive to be ‘happier’. I’ve read plenty of books on happiness, and follow the guidelines. I’m certainly grateful, I’m not materialistic, I have plenty of friends and like most of all of my extended families. I eat right and exercise, and play music for fun. Happily married, recently retired. I realize how lucky I’ve been in life.

I just wish I was happier. I’m cool with that, I find happiness in working with people, accomplishing things. I like helping others and volunteer a fair amount. I just get irritated by stupidity and waste, greed or self centered behavior. Rudeness, carelessness... I see pictures of me as a kid and I was not an always smiling and happy kid, but I had a happy childhood, and was happy doing a million things.

So I say some people have a predisposition for one side or the other.

One note, there is a well documented life cycle effect, “the U bend” of happiness, that shows that people are happy as kids, and it drops to its lowest points in middle age, and as one gets older one gets happier. I’ll keep an eye on it.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I just saw a short segment about this yesterday on the PBS newshour.

Tommy Biggs and Johnson johnson like this.
  3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Sneaky question about hard determinism!

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I muddle with the best of them!

5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    No. No one's born for any reason, except what their parents did of course.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

Everything happens for a reason, you know, physics!

7. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    It's hard to even describe the savor of sadness without using the exact wrong words. Some people are only happy when they're unhappy. Some people just cannot be happy, and to find virtue and motivation in an existence that you cannot escape is worth my respect.

"One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

8. BigDaddyLH

That's my nickname at work!

sistphus.jpeg

Sollipsist and bgmacaw like this.
  9. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.

10. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    "yes dear"

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Which can be because it was too cold to get up and build a fire.

Mjark likes this.
  12. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I believe that we're born to be happy.

Anyone who's ever seen a baby knows that as long as they're fed and clean, they smile (unless they have colick).

It's circumstances of life that beat people down into pessimism. Or inheirited pessimism.

13. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2010
    plattsburg mo.
    I'm happy when I'm alone . Alone as in the wife and I are happy together. The grandkids are somewhat dependant on their parents and when the parents get tired of it, then whatever it is becomes our problem. We help because of the great grandkids. But their parents seem to depend on someone else to do it for them, whatever "it" is ! I just want to play music, go to work, have food in the fridge, play music, work, put food in the fridge, etc. !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.