Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's your thoughts on this: Born to be happy or unhappy.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Jul 11, 2018.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 23, 2018
    Nawth Alabama
    Yin/Yang. If you don't have both, you can't determine the other ever existed...no basis for comparison. Without a basis, it is all nothing. Your imagine becomes: "Imagine a world where everyone is nothing, a world where there is nothing, where nothing can ever happen." The last question, "Are we even human in that world?" is moot, with no comparative basis we probably don't exist.

Equilibrium/balance is important. My Dad always used the "stall full of manure" aphorism. I'm the kid digging in the manure looking for the pony.

I have no problem with both nature and nurture versions of happy/unhappy. Frankly, I think it is an aspect of our software/hardware which is not well understood at the moment.

As an engineer, I know that the half-full/half-empty glass is at least twice as big as it needs to be, given a stable environment. If the environment is not stable, the glass may need to be resized or reconfigured to limit spillage and/or evaporation (within established parameters) due to unknown external factors.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    In case this musical interlude has not been posted....one of the greats....

Tommy Biggs and Johnson johnson like this.
  3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    Take it from here

then... you can fork out to whatever you prefer

c'mon, who sings born to be dead? :confused::lol:

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    We might not both be on exactly the same page...but I think we are at least in the same bookcase.

I keep thinking that there will be more written and peer reviewed on the subject of genetic predisposition, recessive genes, as well as mutations and it doesn't seem to make the news, so I'm not sure where that science is. I don't know why someone can look at a person's offspring and notice a physical trait not present in the parent that perfectly mimics a grandparent or great grand parent, and not realize that mental traits are just as recessive and transferable.

I could talk about my brother in law who's son displays the exact same pessimism and worrisome nature as his father...but everyone would say that was because of nurture. I would use my own upbringing and disposition as an argument against that. My father died when I was five. I've been told repeatedly by those that knew him that my manner and disposition are identical...and I believe it.

IMO certain aspects of our ability to be happy are clearly not a choice...

telemnemonics and Tommy Biggs like this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I completely believe the DNA determining your political affiliation study.

Empathy/no empathy - it’s pretty freaking easy to figure out.

So I guess I also believe that some people are naturally happy and some people stew in their own juices from birth...

Past the baster !

william tele likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Ancient argument?..nature versus nurture......effect of environment on the subject.

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife is adopted. She never had any interest in finding her birth mother.... until I came along. Long story short, she was given up for adoption at birth, met her mom when she was in her 40's. They are pretty much the same person... opinions, mannerisms etc... now... that is just anecdote, so, not to be taken very seriously, but it served to confirm my growing bias... In other news, her adopted mom (all 4'11" 85 lbs of her german self in contrast to her portuguese/filipina 5'7" daughter) has problems with bunions as does her adopted daughter.... hmmmmmm.... this is a challenge to my confirmation bias...

the more we learn about code... and the rules... the more it becomes clear... like the rocket ship ride at the fair, we have a steering wheel that we can turn and spin... but the only real effect it has is avoiding hitting our front teeth with it when the ride comes to a sudden stop!

Toto'sDad and william tele like this.
  8. getbent

ancient for sure... the difference is the last hundred years or so where we have more information and there are fewer 'supposes' and more 'is'.

I think the discussion grows more interesting and our lives more fascinating with more information and the new questions it invites us to consider.

9. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Next topic...any human clones yet?:)

We could answer a lot of questions with a few good clones...:eek:

Wally likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

We've got the next best thing: identical twins, some separated at birth. There are tons of twin studies on all sorts of things.

Discuss:

[​IMG]

11. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Quake and Roll, baby!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    Well, if we're posting songs...

bgmacaw likes this.
  13. getbent

What is awesome is that it won't. Our programming is so deep and so well protected... it will be right in front of us and we'll deny it... the cognitive dissonance will take generations to quell... so much of this as if meta questions are on top of meta questions... and any answer is a confederate if predicated on the conclusion of the previous question.... kind of like the old joke what is the difference between a neurotic and a psychotic? One builds castles in the sky, the other lives in them.

if the robot can grok its own programming, isn't it necessarily a part of that program and thus intended.

the only violation of all of this is the concept of the mastermind. if there is a mastermind, the whole thing, ironically, breeds its own revolution and overthrow, if not, we muddle along... fun stuff and makes me glad I'm at least set up to grasp it a little... it, yup, makes me happy.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    While I don't agree with everything you posted, that 2nd to last paragraph nailed it. Well done.

This place rocks.

Sollipsist and getbent like this.
  15. getbent

(ooh...) Now I look at the years gone by
    (ooh...) And wonder at the powers that be
    (ooh...) I don't know why fortune smiles on some
    (ooh...) And lets the rest go free

16. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    If we could all just learn to live with ourselves I don't think happiness would be much of an issue.

getbent likes this.
  17. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    I can't say I know how to accurately define either enough to classify myself let alone others. I know there have been times when I was happy about something I think most people would find very sad and times when I was very unhappy about something I think most would consider a positive thing.

My father was a very mean and cruel person. He left when I was 11. I was very unhappy for many years, yet my situation improved immeasurably for the good. I had wonderful experiences as a result of him leaving and my life changing. I have no idea how to classify those feelings. Never have. With a good father I might have been a really happy kid and had a totally screwed up life.

telemnemonics and william tele like this.
  18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Who is this "we" you keep diplomatically referring to? You seem to be apart from those who would deny the idea of genetic programming. Don't be coy, GB. You clearly mean "you." :D:)

19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    "It's easy to grin
    when your ship comes in
    and you've got the stock market beat.
    But the man worthwhile
    is the man who can smile
    when his shorts are too tight in the seat"

20. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama

The answer is an emphatic yes.

Water seeks it's own level, true, but most people seek or strive to be happy.
    Happiness is our normal baseline, and it's an ongoing goal or quest.
    We strive to be happy and cheerful.

There are, on the other hand, clinically & chronically-depressed people who actually seek unhappiness.

If everything is going along swimmingly, and they find that they are near a state of contentment, they will find a reason to allow the dark cloud of depression and misery come rolling in. It may be a song that brings back an unpleasant memory, or a movie line.

Once that dark cloud descends on the house, it's not a matter of hours before the miserable mood abates.
    It's a question of weeks, months, and maybe "if ever".

And everyone else in the house is going to pay the price.
    Because a mean-spirited, poison tongue and an acid spirit is sure to be unleashed on everybody.
    Because misery loves company.

These people savor bad memories and wrongs done to them like fine wine.
    They roll and revel in hateful thoughts and hurt feelings like a dog rolling in something dead and nasty in the yard.

Don't ask me how I know these things.

I just do.

:(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.