Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's your take on Danelectro guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Unseen, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2004

Nice!
    Here's my lefty version. I went with alder and a mahogany top. It's fully hollow with a center block like the original design. The neck is a NOS lefty U-2 neck from the 90's.
    [​IMG]

2. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    You aren't buying a Danelectro to compare it to something from Rondo. The 'cheapness' of the Danelectro's design is what helps create it's tone.

If you don't like how they look,feel, and sound then don't buy one. People have listed all the reasons they like to use them and enjoy them, and you clearly have no interest in what they are saying.

If you want a guitar from Rondo, buy a guitar from Rondo. They don't offer anything that looks or sounds like a Dano though, so it's not really a valid comparison and I am not sure why you are making it. Other than the fact that you dislike Danelectro guitars enough to post 2 threads about it.

3. user name

user name Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2008
    USA
    1. Don't mess with Link Wray.

2. Danelectro are cool cheap guitars.

4. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Mar 21, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    A danelectro is like a VW Bug. Is it the fastest? Is it the cheapest? Is it the most economical? Is it the smartest choice? Who knows...... But it is pretty darn cool.

5. samato

samato Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2008
    Orlando, FL, USA
    That is the correct summary for this thread.

6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Excellent point, Mr. Bones.

The thought occurs to me, tdu, that despite their enduring popularity, no other "cheap guitar" companies like SX etc. have made clones of Danos. Your choices are Jerry Jones, or the re-issues. You'd think if they were so "cheaply made" more companies would be having a go at it.

What he said. Except you can leave out "cheap".

One good thing about this thread is that it got me thinking about my Danos, and I put away my newer toys and immersed myself in Dano-world for the past few days. Mmmmm, good!

7. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Ya, that expands on the point I was trying to make. The only other option out there you can compare Danos to are the Jerry Jones which cost WAY more. It's not like comparing a Squier Tele to an SX STL or something. There are no other 'budget Danoelectros' to compare to.

8. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 29, 2009
    Georgia
    A Dano Pro sounds like a tele is supposed to sound.

[​IMG]

9. ozmusicrocks

ozmusicrocks TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2012
    melbourne
    I have a 1962 Silvertone that I bought a few weeks ago. The tone is beautiful on it. It's nice and heavy for a Silvertone/Dano, too. Some of them are a bit toyish, but if you can find a good one then MAN are they good guitars. It's one of the best things I've played.

10. Lazloryder

Lazloryder Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2011
    los ángeles, Ca
    Danos are super cool, and super jangly, but that darn slotted bridge to hold the strings is a pain in the butt

11. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Danelectros are a sound that will suit some and not others.

Comparing them to Rondos is missing the point IMO.

They are very light, rather flimsy, and very idiosyncratic.

I own a Korean U2, which I picked up very cheap. And it had lived in a shed for a while, so it looks like a vintage one!!!

It has its limitations, yet it also has uses that other guitars dont deliver as well.

It has two pickups that on their own sound feeble, but combined sound glorious.

It is a great unplugged sofa noodling guitar, and has been a travel guitar for me on a few occasions.

A Danelectro is a useful guitar to have in a collection IMO

[​IMG]

12. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

For the price and how they are built to be cheap, they still have an unbelievable sound and they are in their own category. Many players, like Jimmy Page, find something unique in this guitar and they have consistently put a great vibe on them.

13. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2009
    The ¢heapo-sphere
    Saying that a Dano is cheap because it is light is like saying an ES335 is cheap because it is hollow. They are made from a light wood frame faced with masonite, as were the original Danelectros made in the 60's. The lipstick pickups are simply the greatest sounding, cheap-a$$ pickup ever designed.

I own 5 vintage Danelectros, and one reissue. The reissues if anything feel a bit heavier than the 60's produced guitars. This is likely due to the thicker, modern finish. The one failing I see of the reissues, is that they are not shielded like the orignals were.

14. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I have a U2 Aqua burst and a U3 Silver Sparkle. They are really good for "Zombie Thread" music.

15. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

Danos are amazing. When I said cheap I meant inexpensive. :)

I don't think any other company can hit their price point with quality and sound. There's a reason so many professionals have used Danos for decades.

I had a similar guitar, Sears Silvertone Stratotone (made by Harmony and Dano, but mine being a Harmony) and that thing was a great guitar. Though this one didn't have a truss rod, it had a thick enough neck that though 35 years old, the action was excellent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.