Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's your take on Danelectro guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Unseen, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2008
    College Station, TX
    I stand corrected, Sir!

I meant to specify the original single cut DC style baritone, not the current Dead On '67 bari, danoblaster, or other reissues.

2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Ummm... DC stands for Double Cutaway. Never seen a single cut DC. :p

3. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Add me to the list of people that strongly disagree with that Link Wray comment.

For the price, the new Danos and the past RI's are fine. They play well, but more the most important thing is they have such a cool unique sound. The fact they they are feather light, but well balanced is great as well. I love playing them.

What I was always shocked by is how well they can play some fairly high gain music. I used one to record with my last band, and we played some pretty heavy rock n' roll. The Danos have a cool clarity to them in the highs and mids when used with a lot of overdrive.

I have a buddy who plays on in a hardcore band and gets a ridiculously good tone. He owns a studio and has a massive collection of Gibson's, PRS's etc. He decided to try to get away from the generic sound a lot of those heavier bands are starting to get, and try out one of his Danos. The results are pretty impressive.

4. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2008
    College Station, TX
    Sorry! I mean THIS:
    [​IMG]

5. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2006
    New Jersey
    I think it was in the late 90s that I bought a first reissue (a 59-DC) for $100 new. A retro yellow color. For what it is, it plays well and has a unique tone. Not my "go to" guitar but I have used it for several things. Right now it is Nashville tuned and that is pretty unique and cool. I thought they were made decently for what they were.

Wayne

6. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Heres my Dano at the moment, gutted for a rewire, new concentric pots and a new bridge thats adjustable. A set of GFS lipssticks which a supposed to be a bit hotter, will see when its back up and running.

[​IMG]

7. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    I think Rondo sells many guitars at less than $150 which blow the Danelectros out of the water quality wise.

8. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2009
    Barnegat, NJ
    I never got the point with Dano's. That bridge (with the piece of wood) can't intonate (as far as I know) and whenever I held one, it felt like it was made by Fisher Price.

A buddy of mine has an older longhorn (??) bass. The pups sound good but I just feel like it's gonna break or something.

Then Dano came out with these funky colored models at GC for $250 and I thought maybe I was missing something. Nope, nothing. They still felt kind of flimsy.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

nothin' sweeter than sniffin the corks and comparin' Annie Green Springs to Mogen David... whooooweee, that is some fun!

one thing, would price difference imply quality difference? (reading Unseen's above post)

10. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i think it depends on what you consider quality.

i don't have an issue with the fact that the dano's have a masonite top... the fit and finish, playability and sound of the guitars is pretty darn good.

its quite obvious that you don't like danelectro's... being the OP of this thread, soliciting opinions, then bagging them yourself.. and someone even pointed out a similar thread that you started in '08.

so you hate danos... perhaps the title of the thread should have been

'i still hate danelectro guitars in 2010'

11. jkingma

Admin Post
    Like I said before...

The wood saddle IS adjustable and once you get it in the correct position it intonates no differently than most acoustic guitars.

12. popthree

similar has been said by many a les paul player regarding the telecaster 3 barrel bridge

if its good enough for Nels Cline, its certainly good enough for my grubby ole mitts

13. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2009
    Barnegat, NJ
    I must not have known what I was doing because I couldn't get that bass to intonate if my life depended on it.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

worthy of consideration! We're all just glad that your life didn't depend on it!:D

15. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    Auburn, Alabama
    +1

though i do think his is a Jerry Jones.

16. jkingma

Admin Post
    Well adjustment can be a PITA, but its doable. There is a set screw for the rosewood saddle on the underside of the bridge. There are some tricks to doing it, but once you have yourself set to do the job, it doesn't take any more than about 15 or 20 minutes when you are changing your strings.

17. popthree

18. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    I have a Dano Inuendo 12 string and it is a great guitar.Plays like a dream ,'sounds great and stays in tune well.

19. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    Auburn, Alabama

Attached Files:

20. Billy Bones

Billy Bones Tele-Meister

Nov 15, 2009
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I didn't have time to read this whole thread, but since it's asking for opinions, here's mine.

Danelectros rule. They are cheap and kids can afford em. Sometimes they need a bit of work to make them playable, but I love em. They have cool designs. They have a really cool history. The main man that started making them was a crazy genius.

The world needs Danelectro.

Billy Bones

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.