Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's your take on Danelectro guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Unseen, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Bryan

Bryan Tele-Holic

May 8, 2009
    Michigan
    I have one and think it is a cool sounding guitar, I just don't play it very much.

2. LaExpatriot

LaExpatriot Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2009
    Central OH
    I have a reissue 56U2 and love the thing. I bring it to any bar gig we have b/c I paid $90 for it and if it gets messed up well I can get another for not much more.

If you wnat to really hear what can be done with one of these check out Southern Culture on the Skids. Rick Miller is a Dano/Silvertone master. You will not be dissapointed.

3. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

The few that I've had my hands on felt like they were made like bicycle helmets, thin plastic shell over a foam core, held together with a long piece of tape. But I've always liked the weird sound and almost ordered this model.

4. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2008
    College Station, TX
    I had a Korean reissue double cutaway 12-string with Gotoh tuners and adjustable bridge. The tone, action, fit and finish was top notch and even impressed a friend who had a Jerry Jones that cost nearly 5x that of the Dano.

But I never really bonded with it and did a flat trade for my MIK Lite Ash Tele. Now if Dano reissued a baritone guit-fiddle I might be interested in that.

5. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

just cool enough to overcome the crap factor.

6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

You can get the 6 position rotary switch like the 3 pickup Danos have; that will give you every combination. (Danos also have the "blow switch" which kicks in all three in series regardless of rotary switch position.)

They did, three times. See here now: http://www.danguitars.com/Baritone.html

7. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

8. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Here is a wiring diagram for that set-up.

Attached Files:

9. Pinball_Wizard

Pinball_Wizard Tele-Holic

May 6, 2008
    San Diego
    Looks gorgeous, I'd put different knobs on it, but definitely something I'd want.

10. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    I can think of a whole slew of guitars from Rondo made from real wood with a class A finish on them and real guitar hardware for less than the $249 I paid for the Dano-made from particleboard and masonite, with a hardware store switch and knobs and silver painted tuners, pups and bridge. All the chrome on mine is from upgrades I did. I will give them this-they play and sound great and are unique. But they're not worth $249.

11. BillyG

BillyG Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    I've always loved the look and overall vibe but the fixed wood bridge scares me and the adjustable re-issue bridges look like zinc plated junk - IMO.

12. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    Auburn, Alabama

13. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    i think they're charming. i also really like using plastic cameras, even though i own a fairly nice dslr. i really like weird sixties cheapo garage rock guitars visually, and i'm generally inclined not to want what everyone else has - it's a big part of why i got a tele and not a strat as my first guitar. and seriously, it doesn't have to be nice the same way another guitar is - if you're even reading this forum, i'm gonna guess you own upwards of three string instruments. every weird art tool out there is good for at least one thing. it's figuring out what that is and understanding how music works well enough to make it click that's the important part.

that, and i'd rather have a stableful of very different, cheapish guitars that are all perfectly ok to play on than one or two thousand dollar plus instruments.

also, as a side note, rock and electric blues guitar players have nothing on people playing traditional music for crazy new instrument getting cravings. i had someone at least twice my age playing a very nice hand made banjo offer to buy my old horrible beater banjo when i said i was thinking about trading up. imagine how bad it would be if y'all played three different string instruments or more, most of which don't have a good equivalent to the "i'll drop $3-500 for an ok model" equivalent the way guitars do.

14. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    Love my U2 56 Reissue. one of my favorite guitars to play. After a little set up and installing the better intonatable bridge....twang fun city! all for $250!

P.S. be sure to superglue the strap pegs in or that semi hollow masonite/plywood twang monster will fly across the stage!! :)

15. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i don't know what dano you've been playing, but it can't be the model i own. i wouldn't sell mine for a penny less that 350.. and even at that i don't think i'd sell it... i just doubt i could find another guitar i like as much for that money.

the sum of the parts is never equal to the whole...with any guitar. i've never played a rondo, but if they're as well built as the u2 pro i have, i should start buying some of them.

coincidentally, the finish on mine is excellent.. i've owned it for quite a while and its still blemish free.. its quite tough, and gorgeous. and the fretwork is exceptional...far better than any chinese, indonesian or mexican fender/squier product i've seen in a store this year.

16. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2009
    Melbourne Australia

17. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The wood saddle IS adjustable and once you get it in the correct position its no different than the saddle on most acoustic guitars.

18. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Well, as I mentioned earlier, my MOD 7 has been in heavy rotation for almost 10 years, and the bridge looks shiny and new. It's a quirky design, compared to what people are used to, but it works very well and shows no sign at all of being cheaply made.

19. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2004
    trumansburg, ny
    had four korean made and down to two...

all were decent for the price and the sound is really unique. dont play em out much, but i wouldnt have any problem doing so. i just use my better guitars for gigs. the danos arent quite as versatile as others that i have, but certainly have their own sound and vibe. nice necks and boards, and very comfortable to play, too!

my friend sunny jim white of grand caymen hiatt fame, used one for years. lately, hes been using other cheap, but interesting guitars. but the dano served him well for many gigs, though.

also theyre great for slide... and good enough for jj cale, too!!!

rand z

20. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Mar 21, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    Huh? Link Wray is the father or rock and roll electric guitar. So many of the greats point to him as one of their inspirations. Why on Earth would you say that he couldn't play?
    As for Danelectros, I think that they have a unique sound and a groovy look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.