Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's your take on Danelectro guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Unseen, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Pinball_Wizard

Pinball_Wizard Tele-Holic

May 6, 2008
    San Diego
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think All these models are gorgeous. Some real snazzy guitars.

If they had been make left guitars before I bought my tele, I might only have a dano and no tele. They look that good.

2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i sort of think every guitar player should have a danelectro... but its not a 'only guitar' sort of guitar...

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

yup.

I own a bari, a dc9... both from the 90's... both cool guitars with unique sounds.. they are both over 10 years old and still play and sound just dandy.

I filled in in a band back in the early 80's (a punk kinda thing) for about a month and the leader/singer had an original copper colored dano... it was cool, the neck was kind of floppy, but I was able to shore it up.... it sounded really cool and honky...

I think if a guy is drawn to glossy or super strat or elegant... they probably won't be dano guys (or girls)

I have a huge amount of love for Steve Soest who played a big role in bringing back the whole danelectro 'thing' in the 90's. He owned the local guitar shop when I was growing up and was always buying and collecting them and selling them... so I was around them a lot and dug the vibe...

They are great specialty and budget instruments... Dan, it is cool you like the Hodads etc... I never liked them but hoped they had a home somewhere... a guy I know (really good player) has the hodad with all the effects built in and he loves that guitar! there is room for everybody!

4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

I think the built-in-effects were only on the Danoblaster and Innuendo, and I don't know much about those. Too gimmicky for me anyway. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Hodad (probably) but they do make nice surf guitars. Mostly I like the re-issues of the originals, and I wouldn't even have bought the MOD 7 if I hadn't been offered a screaming good deal. I have learned, however, that the MOD guitars kind of fill the "what might Danelectro have made next" niche. And as said before, the MIK "upgraded" guitars are very nicely made instruments.

5. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    How about a Dano and Tele rolled into one...?

[​IMG]

6. thekillingjoke

thekillingjoke Tele-Holic

Oct 2, 2007
    None
    My take: I love the tone of those lipstick tube pickups, but their guitars just look ugly to me.

7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Dang it, jkingma, is that yours? I just finished tracing out my Convertible's body for a project like that.

8. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    Everyone should have one, but there's way better guitars out there for the money.

Attached Files:

9. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yeah, I built it about 4 years ago. Cool little axe.

10. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i dunno... the dano's are pretty darn cheap.. its tough to find 'better' quality in the price point.

11. Michael Murphy

Michael Murphy Tele-Afflicted

I never liked any of the Danos from a quality standpoint. The Jerry Jones guitars have the same great looks and are very high quality, albeit a lot more expensive:

http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/

A shop I used to frequent in Arunsustin carried them, and I was always impressed with their quality and sound.

The Shorty Octave 12-string is a little piece of heaven. Great for little jangly mandolin-type runs and fills (chord work, too), but in standard guitar tuning- you don't gotta re-learn anything to use it.

[​IMG]

-Michael
    Charter Member S. Texas He-Man Emoticon Haters Local #316

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010

12. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    a fan o' the dano

currently have 3: a circa 2000 U2 in port-wine sparkle, a melted-hershey-bar Pro from a couple of years ago, and a 3-pickup Jerry Jones singlecut. The first two I have set up with high action & heavy strings for slide; of these two, I like the sound of the Pro better. Maybe it's the pickups & maybe it's the shape of it or the short neck but for whatever reason, this thing just sounds great. Note that the 13th fret neck-join makes sliding around up there a real challenge.

The Jerry Jones is a guitar and a half. Great neck, sounds great, versatile and cool-looking. This really could be my only guitar. Does the tele bridge pickup voice better than any tele I currently have, does the strat neck pickup sound, and big fat sounds from the 2& 4 positions. One of these days, though, I might try & rewire to get the n+b middle position.

13. Mr. B

Mr. B Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2008
    Canterbury - UK
    I have GOT to track down some of that hackberry, it looks better and better every time I see one of your bodies.

14. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Wales
    Admin Post
    My take has always been that a lot of their popularity is due to their unique sound. They have a great tone for slide.

Unseen, play some for yourself, you'll know in about 1 minute of playing whether you're a fan or not. :)

Here's Page playing his:

15. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Danos can't be judged by the usual standards... they're made of something just this side of cardboard, but they play well, have a great 'snap' to them and the lipstick pickups are perfect on them. I want one of the sparkly 12-strings really bad.

16. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    I had a 1960s sears silvertone. loved the pickup and sound, hated the neck.
    I tried a few of the newer Dano's and they seem a lot more solid than that vintage one.

17. samato

samato Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2008
    Orlando, FL, USA
    I'm glad others have already taken exception to the Link Wray comment because that is crazy talk - he is great!

And Danelectro guitars are very cool. Very different sounding to me. Cool, funky, lo-fi vibe. The ones I've played felt good to me, don't remember the models though.

18. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco

19. evilandy

evilandy Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2010
    The South
    :rolleyes:

20. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    If this doesn't look badass, I don't know what does.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.