Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's your opinion for speakers in my 2X12?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blakestree, Oct 10, 2017.

Which pair of speakers?

1. Celestion Alnico Blue & G12H Anniversary

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. Celestion G12M Greenback & Vintage 30

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Savannah, GA USA
    I currently have a Blue and a Greenback(Chinese). I will move one of those to a 1X12. Then, in a Port City vertical OS 2X12, I'll either have the Blue and a G12H-30 or the Greenback and a V30. Please consider which you'd rather have in the 1X12 and the 2X12.

My head is a Morgan AC20 Deluxe.

Guitars are Squier CVC Tele and Gibson Custom Les Paul Junior.

Thanks!

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    too much dbs difference between V30 & GB - if you're nerdy like me, it will ruin your life (trying to discern etc..)

3. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Savannah, GA USA
    Ah, yeah, good point. The Blue definitely overpowers the Greenback. Why did I think the Vintage 30 was the same sensitivity as the Greenback??? Guess I've just been reading how the V30 was a great match for it.

4. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Blue & H30 is a good match - it will be very bright though - in a good way

If you want your second greenback flavor; Mix a V30 with an Eminence Private Jack OR GB12' both excellent

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

5. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Savannah, GA USA
    That would probably be just fine. I'm really a Top Boost guy at heart. And, as it is, I never use the cut control on my Morgan.

6. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    I figure it's always easier to roll off some treble than add it back. I'd go Blue + G12H, the V30 is very "beamy".

7. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Savannah, GA USA
    Yeah, but now I'm getting nervous about that because I've been reading G12H-30's aren't good in ported cabs. On the other hand, Greenbacks aren't supposed to be, either...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

8. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    It's only rock and roll. If you don't like how it sounds, you can try something else. Plenty of speakers out there, and they tend to be a lot cheaper than guitars or amps.

9. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    The blue on it's own is a wonderful thing.
    Just dont overpower it $

10. ExiledonMainSt

ExiledonMainSt Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd definitely skip the Chinese-made Celestions. Check the WGS line out, they have a pretty extensive line of Celestion equivalents. Back when I was in my Marshall Plexi phase, I swapped the Celestions in my Marshall 2X12 cab for a WGS Reaper and a British Lead, and they utterly smoked the original speakers in every way.

11. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    ps. The Chinese greenback is one great sounding speaker. They have been
    there awhile now.

Flakey likes this.

12. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Savannah, GA USA
    Yeah, I already have the greenback, and love it. (I've had Reapers, too, fwiw.)

At this point I'm just trying to find the best speaker to pair with my Blue in my oversized, ported cab. I might even be convinced to go with another Blue, but I really like to mix speakers.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Curious, what do you need the port for that you feel limited in speaker choice?
    What speakers are supposed to be good in ported guitar cabs?
    Out of 20 or so amps, I have two that could use a little more bottom end, the rest have too much bass. And most of my closed back cabs also have too much bass, meaning that I turn the bass way down on my amps.

I have not found much in the way of speakers I like next to a Blue, except a Gold. I did get pretty good use out of an Emi Tonkerlite next to a gold, but that was because the Tonkerlite didn't sound good alone, and is too loud to pair with mellower speakers.
    Not really a fan of a Blue with a V-30, but I'm tired of the V-30 sound, so my opinion is not very helpful there.
    Taste is a funny thing.

14. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Red fang and a greenback 2x10 is wonderful to behold.....

Brian L likes this.

15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

In general I'm always a 2x12 guy not for volume but just for the area filling up with sound but I always use two of the same speakers. I haven't had a sound I like by mixing speakers together.

16. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Perhaps a creamback in there somewhere. One of my fav new speakers in past few y ears.
    The 65hz ver not 75hz

17. TonyAsh

TonyAsh TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I have the Blue and the Anniversary H30 in my handwired Vox AC30. It might just be the perfect combination for that amp. Blows away the stock dual Greenbacks. So, I say go that route.[​IMG]

18. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Savannah, GA USA
    Beautiful, TonyAsh!

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I went ahead and ordered an Anni. We'll see how it works out in the Port City cab.

19. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Savannah, GA USA
    Well, I got the G12H-30 and loaded it up with my Blue... I find that they're too dark, too compressed sounding with the Port City OS 2X12. My solution was to ordered a Mojotone open back 2X12 loaded with a pair of Vintage 30's. I've never been a fan of V30's, but I'm hoping they'll make a heavy tone monster out of the Port City OS 2X12. I'll put the Blue and Anniversary in the open back Mojotone.

20. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Too dark? The blue/h30 combo is PIERCING. I dunno if you could get anything brighter! Something is off big time...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.