Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

what's your next musical goal?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    I'm just picking guitar back up after a few year break. My goal is to be jamming with other people and gigging again within a year. I've been learning licks and jamming to backing tracks. I hope to focus my practice so I can get the best results and not noodle around as much.

Rich724 likes this.

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

No like, really start doing an album or a recorded something and upload it somewhere. something like a piece of work for us, by us.

I feel stuck with my playing. it seems like Im just doing everything over and over again. I dont feel like Im progressing

3. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    We would welcome you over at the Recording In Progress forum.
    Good folks who care about making your recordings shine.

4. studio

May 27, 2013
    California
    At least have that craigslist guy sit in as an advisor
    and maybe he'll have some gems of musical wisdom
    for your project.

Or he might know another drummer that fits your vision.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    CD project with The Colorado Green Band. Getting more gigs. Learning a bunch of Surf Tunes on the Jaguar.

teletimetx and Rich724 like this.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Specific:

1. Write a sax part for “Just the Two of Us” for a roadhouse/pop-up choir for which I serve as guitarist and arranger. Alto sax player has to have something to read from. For sometime in May. I'm not real fluent writing, but I have some software and so far so good, just haven't done any since, oh, 1971 or so...

2. Work on usefulness of recently acquired EH B-9 organ machine pedal. Determine whether or not it stays or goes.

3. Practice more specific solo ideas for my weekly house band gig. Really has paid dividends so far. I like playing wild some times, but not all night long.

4. Come up with some dual lead ideas to play with fiddle player in same band.

5. Learn the following songs for summer benefit concert (2 sets, 1 acoustic, 1 rock) and I'm just learning guitar parts, although I’ll also do some of the vocals:
    - Watching the River Run (L&M)
    -From Boulder to Birmingham (Emmylou)
    -Brand New Tennesee Waltz (Jesse Winchester)
    -I Feel the Blues Moving In (Dolly Parton)
    - I Want to See the Bright Lights (Richard Thompson)
    -Key to the Highway (I’ll be playing bass)
    -Same Old Blues (also bass)

Longer term:

Got a Peavey Reactor that I want to paint as the state flag of Colorado, replace not-so-wayno Peavey tuners and maybe the pups and put on a Bigsby!

Get a new body for my CVC 50’s Squire – love the neck and pups, not crazy about the boat anchor, poly coated body. Replace all the switchs/jacks/pots at the same time.

Sell some unused stuff and upgrade; that’s a longer process.

that's enough for now.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

7. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

To learn I mean really learn to play the piano. I'm married to an academically trained pianist and we have a beautiful Petrof Model III grand sitting in the living room and I can't play a thing on it. I only have myself to blame. :oops::(.

TMMC likes this.

8. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2003
    No CA
    I want to put some time in learning my newly acquired banjo. I want to spend more time on my lap steel and my mandolin. Would love to take pedal steel lessons from a local player who would be good to work with. Want to spend time working with my country instructional dvd's.
    Sell some gear.
    Stop buying gear and start saving again.
    That reminds me; I need a shoulder strap for the banjo.

TMMC likes this.

9. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    This is a cool question, and I've liked the answers. Very neat.

I'd say, for me at this point, it's recording a new album next month--first "studio" album in seven years. I'll be recording it, mixing and mastering, as well as guitar, bass, singing. I'm hoping it goes well. The reason it's my next goal is because I want it to sound as live as possible, and simultaneously as studio as possible, and I have no clue how to make it sound the way I want. RESEARCH TIME!

teletimetx likes this.

10. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    I'd like to be able to play in reference to the beat. I'm trying to break the habit of picking up a guitar without having some kind of pulse going at the same time. The guys I play with are remarkably tolerant, but I think it's partly because I've been steadily improving, from "unlistenable" to "awful". I can't stop and rest before I get to "lousy".

thesamhill likes this.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, musical goal, not goat! Nevermind.

12. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    My goals are a moving target. I work on something then get distracted by side issues associated with it. Also, every time I go surfing YouTube, I find something new I want to work on. I'm a long-time acoustic player who has only recently discovered the importance of string damping on electrics - while listening to Ry Cooder for other reasons. Anyway, that's what I'm working on atm, and finding it a lot easier on lap steel than in Spanish position. I should give myself a really hard time by using a fuzz. :)

teletimetx likes this.

13. studio

May 27, 2013
    California
    Goat jokes.....has it come down to this?

[​IMG]

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Then why did you start in the middle??

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Mine's still in the formulatin stage, in that I haven't spent any money on it yet (that's when things start getting serious :D), but I'm thinking about switching over to nylon string for a while--actually one of those Godin multiac thingies--and work on getting my vocals and playing up to where I can go solo, or maybe a duet. Related to that, I want to develop my background vox/harmony chops. I got a pal at work who might make a good partner; going to audition him pretty soon. I used to sing 2nd tenor in choir, and I thought I could handle harmony parts for a show a year or so ago, but...I was wrong...:oops:

16. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    Learn to play banjo

17. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    I have two for the coming months, one is to learn how to finger pick and the other is to learn an acoustic version of "Hey Joe", the chords are easy enough but i need to work on the lead infills that make the whole thing..

18. 69Telecraigster

69Telecraigster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Apr 26, 2016
    Connecticut, USA
    Learn more lead guitar and get better at that. I've been playing for a little over a year now. My rhythm guitar development is way ahead of my lead guitar development. I'd like to close the gap. I'd also like to write a song or two.

19. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand
    To be able to play (and sing to myself!) 'Angie' on my acoustic. Perhaps not a huge ask for most people, but it is for me after a little over a year on guitar. However, it's one of 3 songs / pieces of music that I'm chipping away at after playing scales, chord progressions and finger exercises etc. It's progressing, and I love the sound. It WILL happen.....

5ofeight likes this.

20. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I'm putting together my first-ever real band performance.

For the past several years I've emceed our annual "poetry slam" in our school auditorium. I fill in between poet performances, calling for judges' scores, introducing the next poet, and so on. Each year there's a brief intermission.

This year during intermission, far from Nashville Tennessee, on a surprise stopoff from their Spoonful* Tour, ladies and gentlemen please welcome Hank Stank and the Think Tank!

I made a short set list from songs I already know, grabbed a drummer and a bass player from the student body, and arranged for rehearsals once a week until the slam June 1st. My plan is to announce the band, start the drummer, and do a quick-change into my stage costume: cool t-shirt--maybe my Neil Young one--sport jacket, sunglasses, awesome hat. Between now and the show I'm limiting myself during all my playing time to only the set list, so they're as remembered as I can get them, and to sharpen up my guitar work on them, which needs it for sure. Our choir teacher will be the sound guy; I haven't talked with him yet but I shall soon.

I've been debating which of my homemade teles to use and how to use it, but I might chicken out and just plug in my acoustic. Maybe I'll get a assistant, and use 'em all. We'll work that out in rehearsal; the first one's Monday.

* "Spoonful of Truth" is the one original in the set list. Hank (rhymes with "Think") hisself wrote it in the band's inceptuary days, which it's never really left. Hank'll be out in Nashville that night, getting us some record contracts, and the rest of the boys ain't allowed on school grounds, so for the night it'll be just us. . . .

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    teletimetx likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.