Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

what's your next musical goal?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    you mean "a gig" or "more gigs" elsewhere or being signed to Universal?

what's stuck?

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    It used to be to get a few very talented and different people to make something nobody else did that we and hopefully others wanted to hear, and do it to make a difference in people's lives.

Then as time and lives moved on it became just being grateful for the times I had to make music with my friends, in a pure and straightforward way.

Now it's not about music at all, it's just a by-product of wanting to make a difference in any way I can that is meaningful to others.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    you have a gift

post some crazy sh*t that makes us see reality fresh

teletimetx and 1955 like this.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    He was a long-time jamming friend we've known for 30+ years. Never took lessons or anything. He was a human metronome but somehow it all sounded kinda flat and uninspired. Not enough energy. We made it work though. We're more friends than bandmates and will remain so in the future. He left because he can't afford to live where we are (Northern California), doing what he does for a living (line cook). I don't blame him a bit for leaving. I'd get sick of living paycheck to paycheck too. Been there, done that.

I put out an ad on Craigslist. So far we've gotten one response. The guy may be a little too good for us though. We're basically a really good garage band with some good original songs trying to get something down for posterity's sake.

ndcaster likes this.

5. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Buy and learn to play ukulele and mandolin.

Buy and relearn to play keyboard (I played when I was 6 to 10, never any good with my left hand, don't expect to be much better now) and tenor sax (played alto in school band, not a very good one, hard to sound good with bent keys and a chipped mouthpiece kept breaking reeds).

Finally purchase the Peavey Classic 20 MH and 112C cab I've been gasing over a year for.

Songwise, master Sultans of Swing smoothly and as well as Knopfler plays it. Also master Tree Top Flyer, as smoothly as Stills plays it.

Finish writing and recording a couple originals on this laptop using Reaper.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    beautiful

you're busy

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

7. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    Find a reason to record all the songs I've written.
    I've got the songs and the gear, but not the reason.

8. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

@ndcaster No, not really. Those are goals, and I don't have the cash for any new purchases for a while...

9. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Keep moving forwards on keyboards, technique -wise. Along with that goes learning some of the new equipment I've recently acquired.

On guitar, first thing is to figure out how I'm going to actually use my fingers. The Wes Montgomery thing isn't quite congruent to my goals. And get more agile with barre chords. At least I can do them now, it's time to use them.

I don't consider any of the recording and studio stuff to be musical in the sense of the question.

Larry F likes this.

10. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    100% musical. Next gig is on the 29th. First paying gig in over a year!

11. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    I've been working on writing songs. They appear to be alt country in nature.
    I've assembled scraps of guitar parts,
    stuff I've hummed into my iphone,and lyrics I've written in my journal.
    I want to take a course on songwriting.
    I want to learn 4 or 5 songs and sing them with my guitar at open mic on Tuesdays.
    I plan on showing up with my bass at open mics on Thursdays also.Just to keep playing out.

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Probably more efficient in the whole process. And it's probably on my part. Time just gets spread out between too many life demands.

The other old bandmates aren't in to gigging but are into the recording. Which is fine.

Most of the originals they had pre our meeting each other. But, we have collaborations since our getting together.

13. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    Most of my practice these days on electric is towards becoming a tight pocket rhythm guitarist (shuffles, boogies, swing, etc to metronome, jam tracks & records).

I figure the lead will come more naturally after solidifying the foundation. I've been more of an acoustic guy my whole life, so the feel on electric is still a learning process.

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    The Entire show.
    Starting with minimizing my own mistakes.
    Tempo, Vocals, Solo's ... Hoping that my performance is good enough to inspire the people playing onstage with me to play better too.

Sometimes, it all comes together and, all of us walk-out at the end of the night feeling like a Million Bucks.
    Even though we only made a hunnerd.

As far as connecting with the crowd goes, that is on a level all by itself.
    It really is on the back-burner because I simply can't rehearse for it.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Master the tricky F chord. I have E down pretty good now so I'm working my way up the neck alphabetically. :D

Flat6Driver and brookdalebill like this.

16. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2012
    Linden, MI
    Kicking off a new band, just picked up a copy of Pat Metheny's Guitar Etudes and working to read past the 10th fret again.

String Tree likes this.

17. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Finish my first hand-built electric guitar, then build another using the knowledge I gained doing the first one, hopefully with better wood and hardware.

What I REALLY need to do is learn and practice (and practice, and practice...) enough scale and theory to allow my fingers to play what I hear in my head. I have a very hard time doing that.

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Stop buying and trading ****!

And also learn surf guitar deeply.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Mine is to band-lead more.
    Hopefully a lot more.
    I have a bad case of sideman-itis.
    I have been extremely lazy since returning to Texas from BC 13 1/2 years ago.

studio likes this.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Show off!

teletimetx and soulman969 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.