Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Whats your favorite tube amp to play on?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Strato50, Nov 26, 2017.

1. atomrxn

atomrxn TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2017
    NJ

That is the tone.

2. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I have a Crate V32 Palomino (GC Exclusive from years ago; 30 watt EL84 1x12 combo from years ago) that sounds like God when it works right. That thing, when right, is perfect.

But I would rather use my Mustang III. Yeah, I mean it. WAY more reliable.

3. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    This one, because it's the only one I have.

image.jpeg

Quinn23 likes this.

4. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    My 1987 Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini-Halfstack 2553 Head (50 Watts) + 2x12 Cab

[​IMG]

Flaneur likes this.

5. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland

6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    My favorite has to be my Avatar 45 into Avatar 2x10 Greenback 10 loaded cabs. Usually straight in, but I've a Analogman Beano Boost if I want to do a hot rodded early 70s metal face vibe.

That is a very recent purchase. Historically, it probably was an early JCM 800 into a 4x12.

7. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    It seems my most favorite amp to play on is the one I'm plugged into at the time....

hfasteve likes this.

8. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Falls City
    Hard to pick between these two..

1118171111a.jpg

Quinn23 likes this.

9. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    I should add that if I'm sitting down, it would be a Twin. Great sounding, and perfect for sitting on. A Twin has actually doubled as furniture at on point of my life.

Quinn23 likes this.

10. bbetancourt

bbetancourt TDPRI Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Bavaria, Germany
    Tubemeister 18 into one of my homebuilt cabinets: 1x12" or 1x8"

11. BigAshTelecaster

BigAshTelecaster TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Georgia
    My Carr Sportsman. It's like a combo between a PR and a DR. And when you crank the gain and mids, you get a great tweed / semi-Marshallesque drive.

Attached Files:

SteveC356 likes this.

12. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2016
    Duarte, CA
    My Holland Gibb Droll, my 60's AC30, or my friends Emery Super Baby.

Quinn23 likes this.

13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    71 Super with CTS alnicos

69 Twin with any speakers :)

14. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hard to dislike a twin:

IMG_1744.JPG

kookaburra, Quinn23 and GearJammer93 like this.

15. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    Maan. That looks lush.

My one and only re-capped SF PR. Just recently got a greenback G12, it's in an extention cab tho, as it hasn't enough holes in the chassis yet to mount in the cab, which currently has two EV speakers of unknown model number.. I'll peob have a G12 EV combo, as it does sound extremely gorgeous right now.

16. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    Fender Greta. It's amazing what you can do with one of these little guys, especially through a decent cab. I gig with a Hot Rod Deville 4x10, but I never play that in the house, which is where most of my playing is done these days.

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Until recently I’d have said any Mark Boogie up to a MK4

But I’m rediscovering my love of the ‘79 JMP circuit in a 50w 2x12”. That is about as good as it gets and spits fire with a tele.

Guitaryellow and kookaburra like this.

18. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    If I'm honest, the only tube amp that ever kept me reasonably happy live was my Ceriatone lunchbox Dumble clone. Say what you will about Dumble but he did some things to the Fender circuit that made it much more useful and useable for meat and potatoes live work, ironically. More useful than any classic Fender, Vox, Ampeg, Orange or Marshall I tried (and I tried more than a few). I foolishly sold it, moving on to other TUUB amps that made me much less happy. @noah330, if that is your Dumble, I am supremely jealous. Nice!

But my Jazz Chorus 40 makes me way happier than even the Ceriatone. By a large margin. All's well that ends well.

20. twobuckchuck

twobuckchuck Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2015
    California
    I was playing on a Mesa Boogie Mark V:35 for a while. But after years of previously owning a Deluxe reverb, and recently playing through or backlining my last dozen gigs with touring acts asking or bringing a deluxe every time, I just decided to go back to my Fenders and get rid of everything else except a couple SS amps for venues with bad electricity. To me, Deluxes are the SM57 of Amps. Everyone should know how to use one and know what it’ll sound like (As they’re found in so many clubs across the country). And as I got older the less I cared about unique amps and stuff and just want to focus on playing my guitar.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Bill likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.