Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's Your Favorite Current Production Fender Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Whoa Tele, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Louisville
    '68 Reissue Silverface Princeton.

I know most folks prefer the '65 Blackface Princeton, but the Silverface design is mostly what I saw when I first started to look at Fender amps - in about 1970.

That beautiful color scheme, for me, was simply what a Fender amp was SUPPOSED to look like. Purely emotional.

2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    +1 - most gorgeous sounding amp I've ever owned. Bought mine used 9 years ago. Unfortunately I don't think they've been made since 2012. The new Custom Tweed Twin looks similar. But for one thing, the newer one does not have the beautiful Eminence designed Weber Alnico speakers that came with the old Custom Shop reissue. There may be other differences too. Here's mine:
    Ellie Daddy 025.JPG

3. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    Syd rules! Both the man and my Telecaster.

Boonie likes this.

4. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Momentary detour: Matt, send back my Strat...

strat.jpg

There's no arguing with good taste. :)

highgreenchilly and Chicago Matt like this.

5. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Roland Blues Cube; it does a great Bassman but without the weight! I've owned a few Fender amps, from the basically awful Pro Junior to an absolutely stellar Pro Tube Pro Reverb. The less I say about the Mustang III, the better...no offense intended to happy owners.
    If I were to buy another 'Fender' amp it would be this; the dodgy aesthetics have been addressed in the new version:
    https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/yerasov-gta15j-599203

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Honest Charley likes this.

6. Redsoxfan70

Redsoxfan70 TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Western Massachusetts
    Maybe I am easy to please, but I still love my Blues Jr.

pirate19 likes this.

7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land

8. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    I played a buddy's limited edition Tan PRRI that's loaded with a 10 inch Celestion Gold for about an hour today. Very nice and I'm not normally a big fan of celestions in blackface amps.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

The Supersonic Twin checks a lot of my boxes. I don't really care for all the '50s and '60s re-creationism that much.

10. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2014
    Dallas
    None. New Fender amps have too high of a fail rate. I've owned half a dozen new Fender amps in the last 30 years. None lasted. Even after repairs, some kept having problems. Probably due to weak components and today's rough shipping. I'm not a gigger; just a home hobby player.

I am having good luck with a '69 original Super Reverb I had recapped & retubed. Also I have 4 original Kustom 1969 tuck n roll amps built like tanks that have had no problems the last 10 years.

11. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

68 Custom Princeton Reverb...R34 mod..upgraded speaker.

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    It's a tie between the blackface Princeton Reverb reissue and the Blackface Deluxe Reverb reissue.

I also like (and used to own) the blackface Super Reverb reissue. But it's got too much headroom for what I do most of the time, plus it's a bit bulky.

I have a real '68 Princeton Reverb, all stock and original except for the speaker, which was re-coned at some point in the '90's. That fills my Fender tonal needs, though I do want a Deluxe Reverb with an extension cab some day. It'd be cool if I could get a '68 to match the Princeton.

13. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    I like the hot rod series amps – I have a blues jr. and often use hot rod deluxes when they are provided without any problem ever – and the reissue series from the Deluxe up.

14. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ireland
    I love my Mustang GT, on the 65 Deluxe Reverb setting with the 65 cab and a hint of reverb. Sounds phenomenal!

15. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I have had a ton of Fender amps. My favorite presently is the 68 princeton reverb custom. Next would be the drri with the p12q . While I love the 59 bassman I dont like the current ltd . I find it too bright. I had a earlier version with the blue frame speakers and it was the best sounding Fender to date and it wasnt even close.

16. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    65 PRRI for mostly at home use

65 DRRI if playing clubs, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.