Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

What's wrong with a Blues Jr.?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MisterZ, Dec 1, 2017.

1. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Some people really like them--If you like yours, that's all that matters. I'm not a fan, but there are lots of different amp voicings and the Blues Jr just ain't the sound I'm after. If it works for you though, rock that bad boy.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    You know if that tech had been around in the 40s everyone would have been touring with it for the price/weight/reliability

The solution to reading reviews trashing your gear is to not read them. If you do read them, remember the people who wrote them want a different sound

Some vegetarian saying a beef sandwich is too meaty is no help to me. Print media wants a scandal. I prefer the wisdom of crowds that you find in things like this site

4. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just read the article, don't really see what you're saying. To me, in the one sentence he mentioned a blues jr., he's saying it's an amp everyone has - just like a les Paul or tubescreamer as he also mentioned. It isn't a 'unique' amp, they're everywhere.

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    When the Blues Jr first came out (1999?), I tried one and hated it.

Then they got popular as a modding platform, and people were getting good sounds on tape with them. I tried one again a couple of years ago and loved it. And get this - it was with the same exact guitar both times, with no changes.

So who knows.

I know this - if I showed up at a gig without an amp and there was a Blues Jr available to use, I’d be fine. And so would almost everyone else.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Put any amp under the microscope and there's $100 in parts and easily twice that in labor that could bring out the "HOLY GRAIL!" that lies within...

Get a good amp. Get a good the f***er...

7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    The only thing I dislike about the Blues Jr. is it's shortage of clean headroom.
    dr_tom, studio1087 and MisterZ like this.

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I bet that man's thesaurus is well worn.
    I read through the article a little bit. I don't think he's trashing a blues junior so much a saying it's the ranch dressing of amplification.
    If you want to read an article truly trashing one, it should not be hard to locate.
    I personally had one borrowed from a cousin years ago. I liked it.
    Gave it back and bought a hot rod deluxe.
    Sold that and bought a Peavey classic 30.
    Sold that and bought a big old fender something or other reissue. I honestly can't remember.
    Sold that and bought a Mustang lll V2.
    I also bought a GDEC 3-30.
    I have also owned an early 70's vibrochamp this whole time, so I'm good regardless.

9. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    The "ranch dressing" of amplification. I like that.

10. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    hey, are you gonna finish that?

teletimetx and MisterZ like this.

11. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    I love my Blues Jr and have gigged it quite a bit. Also, last time I was in Nashville there was a phenomenal guitarist playing one at a bar on Broadway and he sounded awesome. And he was using Boss pedals!!!

Like the others have said, play what you like and if you play it well, people will like it too.
    Kebmel, dr_tom, DonM and 4 others like this.

12. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    did sound for a jazz band once. No guitar player, but they
    had Blues Jr's. The keyboard player and one other guy had them.

They sounded awesome!

13. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Until I got my hands on a Princeton reissue a few years ago, I was practically the president of the Blues Jr club. Loved them, especially when Fender finally added reverb to them. Didn't read the article, but I find it hard to believe its an amp anyone would bash.
    bigbean, KDawg64, P Thought and 4 others like this.

14. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    It's funny, I seem to really dislike all the blues junior / pro jr. and hot rod offerings from Fender - and I'm not that much of a gear snob. I wish I did like them - they are loud, cheap, and portable. It's just that usually when a guitar player sounds terrible - to me - he is playing one of those. IIt happened just last week in rehearsal - I was hating the way the other guy sounded, and he usually sounds fine, but then I saw he was plugged into a Pro Jr instead of the usual SS Orange they have. Is there something common to the EQ of those Fender amps that I am picking up on?
    Paul in Colorado and MisterZ like this.

15. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    heres the truth.......theres nothing wrong with a blues jr, or any other tube amp. cork sniffers should leave now.
    you can get any sound you want with any tube amp if you **** with the knobs and have a few pedals.
    i can get the same sound out of any tube amp if i have the right pedals.
    if you dont believe me, then ask keith richards.

16. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    Actually, to be honest, when comparing the Blues Jr to the Princeton on clean and cleanish settings, I have to admit the Princeton sounded better to me. However, in the context of a band, the somewhat boxiness of the Blues Jr can really work to its advantage as it doesn’t get in the way of the bass frequencies. Also I dig how the Blues Jr distorts. Both great amps!
    studio1087 and MisterZ like this.

17. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I neither particulary like or dislike the blues jr. The hot rods are the ones I like less. But I wouldn 't toss either 'out of bed'.
    studio1087 likes this.

18. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't see where he bashed the Blues Jnr. I saw where he had a go at people who use a formula to copy their heroes, which I think is a bit lame of him. Our heroes copied their heroes, who copied their heroes. Nothing comes from nothing.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I can hear what some folks complain about when they say it sounds "boxy," the enclosure is a bit small for the speaker they've stuffed in it. I have a Two Tone amp, which is essentially a Blues Jr. in cab with a 10" and 12" speaker, and it sounds great. For folks that don't like this amp, try running it through an extension cab before giving up on it.
    KDawg64, 7171551 and studio1087 like this.

20. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I rehearsed on a Blues Jr. for about 5-6 years. It generally sounded great. Sometimes I'd want for more headroom, but that just meant we were (okay, I was) getting too loud. My bad.
    MisterZ, studio1087 and studio like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.