What's up with my pup?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by SixStringSlinger, Jan 31, 2019.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Schecter Ultra III with... mini-humbuckers? Some kind of humbuckers. These ones:

[​IMG]

I noticed some kind of noise when my hand was resting near the bridge pickup (and that pickup being the only one that was on). When I intentionally rocked the pickup back and forth a bit, the noise cut in and out. This was over and above what I was playing, which never cut out.

I noticed another noise whenever I hit a note particularly hard. At first I thought it was the signal pushing the amp into distortion, but it didn't sound quite right. It was more of a sputtery sound. This I think could have been some kind of buzz or rattle from the guitar coming through the pickups, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to take a closer look at things tonight, but seeing as I don't have a lot of experience looking at pickups and diagnosing problems, I thought I'd look for some tips/opinions.

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think it might be a grounding issue. If you have access to a wiring diagram your life will be a whole lot easier.

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I went to the Schecter website to try to find an authorized service provider for you, but they apparently don't have anyone in "Space". Sorry.

4. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

It's a connection issue of some kind, unscrew the pickup and have a look, maybe tap it with a chopstick to find the source.

5. SixStringSlinger

I found this on another forum:

upload_2019-1-31_10-35-41.png

So I should make sure the two wires pointed out by the red arrows are OK?

6. SixStringSlinger

They're all in space.

E5RSY likes this.
  7. SixStringSlinger

Do you mean "unscrew" as in removing it from the guitar, or taking the cover off of it? How would tapping it help determine where the problem is?

8. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

Sounds like a grounding issue to me. The "Duncan Design" are Seymour Duncan pups manufactured in Korea. They were used in some of the Fender Vintage Modified guitars. Actually not bud pups either, they are still used as OEM for many guitars.

9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

First of all are you only getting noise with the bridge pickup? if that's the case, check all of the connections from that pup to the switch first. that might be where the problem is.

10. SixStringSlinger

I actually just got it yesterday (used from GC), and spent the evening cleaning it up, stringing it up and doing some basic set-up. I only plugged it in this morning for a few minutes before work, when I noticed the problem(s) I described. I only noticed the first problem on the bridge pickup; it's definitely the only one I rocked back and forth. The second problem may have happened with the neck pickup or some combination of pickups. But I didn't have time to run through everything.

11. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Definitely have a look at the wiring inside the control cavity (assuming that model has a cavity). You might see wires touching that shouldn't be or something too close to each other. No biggy to "carefully" bend the end of a wire a little to make more room. OR simply post a close up picture of the cavity here, and we can have a look. I doubt the problem is in the pickup itself.

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Did it do it at GC before the cleaning, basic setup and re-stringing?

Assuming you plugged it in at GC?

Switched cords?

Just askin'.:)

Hope it works out for you.

13. SixStringSlinger

I didn't play it at the store. It came sealed in a box and I just picked it up on my lunch break. But I've never had a problem buying used from Guitar Center and I have the option to return it, anyway.

Regardless, my cleaning was nothing that would affect the pickup. Just a wipe-down with a dry handkerchief. And the set-up I've done so far was mostly just string height; I haven't touched the pickups.

14. SixStringSlinger

So I haven't had a chance to open her up yet, but I played her a bit more before work to try and zero in on the problem. It's definitely related to the bridge pickup. That's the only one that generates a hum when I touch it (and it's on), and the hum seems to change if I rock it back and forth a little. I can hear if I tap any of the pickups with my finger or pick while the given pickup is on (is that what's meant by "microphonic"?), but only the bridge one has the additional noise.

As far as the second problem I describe in my OP, I think that was mostly due to a couple of things that were siting on top of the amp at the time, which the sound coming from the amp caused to vibrate.

15. AWG42N43

AWG42N43 TDPRI Member

My bet would be on the mini switch connections to the 4 core lead wires. Usually Guitar Center has their in house tech check out function of everything before they sell a used guitar. I'd take it back to them and point out the issue and ask them to repair it before trying to do it yourself if you're not experienced with those type repairs. If you just got it they do have a 30 day guarantee if I recall correctly but if you mess with it, you own the problem.

16. SixStringSlinger

Good point. It was listed as in "Great" condition, which they define as:

"This product shows little signs of use and all controls are completely functional. It may have minor surface scratches."

I would think that would cover what you describe, if that is the problem.

AWG42N43 likes this.
  17. AWG42N43

AWG42N43 TDPRI Member

Exactly! Why pay for something if you don't have to? It costs them very little usually to straighten something like that out but if you try and fail you get to pay for the repair, the parts or a bench charge at minimum. Tell them you love the guitar and want to keep it but something is wrong with it. They'll make it right.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  18. SixStringSlinger

Is there anything I should look for to determine if that might be the problem before I take the guitar in?

The store's out of my way, I'd hate to waste a trip :lol:

19. AWG42N43

AWG42N43 TDPRI Member

If you open it up to view the electronics I'd look for a connection where strands of the wire look separated or a resoldered connection. Other than that I'd let them figure it out. You paid for a working guitar

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.