Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's the verdict on the "new" Supro amps???

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by E5RSY, Aug 29, 2017.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Enough time has passed, I imagine, for some solid opinions based on experience to form on these.

Solid? Dependable? Crappy? Somewhere in between?

Scott

2. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    I had a 1624 for awhile and I liked it a great deal, construction seemed very good. However, I also own 5 vintage Supro/Gretsch/Valcos and must say I prefer all of them to the new 1624. Something about the growl that comes from them...... Hard to describe but easy to get hooked on. Many of these can be found in solid condition for the same price (or less) as a new Supro.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Anyone try the Supreme? Been checking it out . Has the features of an oahu I had.

savofenno likes this.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Keith Richard used

5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Two questions:

1) Point-to-point or PCB?
    2) Made in USA or overseas?

6. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Overpriced for amps made in China.

Doug 54 likes this.

7. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Interestingly, if they would just make them like the old ones were made, they might have the tone and characteristics of the vintage ones. Couldn't be that tough to accomplish.

8. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Overpriced, maybe--probably--but everywhere I've looked says they're made in the US. FWIW, I didn't exactly scour the earth so I could be wrong.

savofenno likes this.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Fact checking before speaking never hurt anyone:

https://suprousa.com/about/

"Supro reissue amps are hand-assembled in Port Jefferson, NY, USA. In the 2 years since we announced the return of Supro, production capacity for these amps has been sold out, leading ultimately to the acquisition of a new, 15,000sq ft. musical instrument factory on Long Island to meet worldwide demand."

10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    1)PCB (like Rivera,Mesa Boogie,Diesel etc.)
    2)See post above

Doug 54 likes this.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Though I don't own one, I have played through a few.
    Every one sounded good to me.
    They look great, too.
    I have a hankerin' for a tube amp, and they are in the running, for sure.

uriah1 likes this.

12. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    image.jpeg
    This is my '65 Thunderbolt in near perfect condition. I bought it from a party out of Portland Or. earlier this year for $750.00
    Vintage Valcos at bargain prices are out there.

Bill, savofenno, Wally and 2 others like this.

13. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I had the Dual Tone for about 2 years, I really liked it, but it didn't have reverb and I don't use tremolo, so I sold it off in hopes of getting one of the new Supro Models with reverb in the near future. When I bought the Dual Tone, they didn't have a big line up, now they do and I am trying to figure out which one to get, they just released a 5 watt combo with tube driven reverb, so I'm going to be looking hard at that one.

Ooba Tooba likes this.

14. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a Black Magick and I love it. Great tone!

15. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    This is my '62 Stereo King in repro cabs I'm picking up this morning from J Design Cabs. My total investment in this is right around the price of a brand new 1624, maybe a bit more. Bargains can be found with patience and luck image.jpeg

uriah1 likes this.

16. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    They are good amps ,,,,WAYYYYYYYYYY over priced. I am old enough to have played through the real deal back in the day. They don't sound like the Supros IO remember, but they sound damn good. The price is way out of line.

Richie-string likes this.

17. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2016
    Scotland
    I guess the reason they are so expensive is because blue rhinos are just so hard to find!

alnicopu, RLee77 and Richie-string like this.

18. Ash

Ash Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    I've heard that some of those old designs would be considered unsafe and violate modern safety standards. Thus, some (all?) of the new Supro amp designs aren't exactly like the old designs. This might be my biggest issue with them: they're not exact recreations, they're modern creations designed to look and sound like the old ones.

bparnell57 likes this.

19. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I was told that their new guitars were made in China, so I assumed the amps were too. I apologize for that assumption. Now I wonder if the guitars being Chinese made is incorrect too.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I think it largely depends on frame of reference.

If you are very familiar with the vintage ones, and hoping to replicate that, you might be disappointed. I think they are a different animal.

But they are very nice sounding amps, with a sound all their own, IMO.

I had one early on. They made some odd design choices IMO - tubes sticking out at strange angles and prone to rattle, IME. So I returned mine.

Maybe it was an aberration or maybe they went with a more conventional chassis layout since?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.