Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Whats The Ultimate Jazz Guitar Direct Recording Setup?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Robkay, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Robkay

Robkay Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2009
    Leek Staffs UK
    Whats the ultimate hardware recording unit for recording jazz guitar clean straight into the daw, i get quite good recordings with my present setup but always feel there might be something new or better around the corner?
    Thanks
    Rob

Doug 54 likes this.

2. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    OK...here we go. First of all, I love spending other people's money. Start out by upgrading the pickups in your guitar(s). Next, get a Universal Audio Apollo Twin interface, and plug that guitar into it. For a sweet amp sim that's on the clean side, use S-Gear 2 by Scuffham or Amplitube 4 Mesa Boogie Trans Atlantic amp. That's a simplified version of how I'd do it.

3. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I do Blues and a few jazz standards - am unable to find anything that works better than mike in front of a tube amp so will be watching this thread with interest.

Every amp sim I've tried so far has been a distorted mess or poor tone regardless of settings. Sometimes I run a Cube 60 direct out to a Focusrite, not great but not useless either - better than the amp sims I've tried. In fact even running the guitar direct into the Focusrite gets a better sound than any of the amp sims I've tried. Even my POD XT 2.0 from way back is better.

Could it be because I'm only trying the free stuff online ?

4. Robkay

Robkay Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2009
    Leek Staffs UK
    Best result i've managed so far direct......hoping for some magic unit that just does it

Rob

the-woey-man and Jim Dep like this.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Love that tone for comping chords ! Amazing what computer software can do and those Seymour Duncan pickups on the tele in neck position sounds fat in a very good way.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I know you said hardware. So, Line6 Toneport (running into Line6 Gearbox software;)).

Sincerely, I can't imagine anyone ever wanting anything more

7. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    Actually that's pretty good for direct - I have to use a mike to get near that sound using Gretsch, Fender or Gibson guitars.

8. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    When I go direct I run my guitar into an Avalon U5 DI. Then the output of the u5 goes into my interface, with its preamps bypassed, so the U5 is the preamp.

I don't use any amp sim programs. I mostly find that I have to work around them. Instead I just use the EQin my DAW. Important tip, if you want it to sound like a guitar amp: hi pass filter. Roll off the lows below 100hz. Your guitar amp isn't doing anything below there and it just muddies things. Also roll off the frequencies above 5000 hz. Your guitar amp isn't doing anything above that anyway. Basically your starting eq should look like a frown, with nothing much going on below 100 or above 10000' or really even above 5000

If you want it to sound like a fender amp make a very steep cut in the midrange at 800-1000 hz. Me I like a different sound, more ampeg-ish, and so after hi pass and low pass filters I set up baxandall style hi and low shelving filters

If I want saturation I have a couple nice plugins. I use a plate style reverb because that's what Van Gelder used.

Really the key thing is to forget about the lows and the highs. See here: http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/frequency-response-of-a-marshall-4x12-cabinet

That's a plot of the cab: the amp will be cutting out a bunch of midrange around 800 if its a fender or a marshall or a vox.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

9. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Here are some very short clips I just did, using a homebuilt tele with a P9---the guitar truss rod needs a tweak, there are some buzzes

DI One--guitar direct, no eq
    DI 2 guitar direct, EQ as above, slight compression, reverb
    D 3 Direct with Fender style mid scoop
    D4 Same as D2 but with saturation added

I don't think there is an "ultimate." The U5 is a nice DI, but there are lots of nice DIs and interfaces. Imho it's all about careful eq

10. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I use a UAD Apollo interface with the UAD 55 Deluxe set clean and it sounds as good for jazz as any of my vintage amps. And it feels like a real amp. After recording with that I am not sure how often I will be choosing to mic up an amp.

11. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    Rupert Neve 517 into an Apollo interface.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.