Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's the story with the non-existent 2017 Les Paul Standard HP?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 7171551, Sep 21, 2017.

1. This model has never- to my knowledge- been stocked in this area since it was announced- and is now apparently no longer made according to the usual suspects UK online retailers... Although some 2016 models may still be on sale.

Did the '17 ever actually exist? Or are the tales of a self-tuning, dip-switching be-witching shiny AL-U-Min-I-UM cased ( I did mention the UK :p) all-singing, all-dancing High Performing Lester simply a myth??

... And where can I get one on closeout price?

The 2018 model has no pickup surrounds... they've just taken it too far! :eek: :lol:

Did ANYONE buy one?

2. OK, seems no one but me thinks it's strange (or even worthy of comment) that the top of the range production line Les Paul eg the Standard HP has not been stocked nationally this year. (I'm talking about the UK.) However, previous year models DO seem to be available and pre-orders for next year are already being taken..

So, has anyone in the UK seen one/played one/bought one?

3. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Personally, I not happy with Gibson messing with the LP so much. "T", "HP", auto tune, boost switch, push pull, bla, bla, bla...
    They had a great, tried and true product, then they tried to make it better, and guys like me completely lost interest.
    Plus, they have priced the common man out with new LP's (ones with a bound body) starting at 3 grand?!?!! Yea right.
    5 years ago I bought a used LP Studio Faded for 500 bucks. Burstbucker Pros. I put a StuMac harness in it with high quality pots, I'm good.

Oh - and what the heck is the "T" supposed to mean anyway.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Here in the US many store are unloading HP models from the last few years for great prices. But like the post above, I don't like the changes that the HP models have. Not sure what's up in the UK.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Didn't the HP models get a volute and maybe some other neck tweaks to keep them from breaking off? That's an important upgrade.

6. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    If you don't drop 'em or bang 'em, they don't break.

Just sayin'.

7. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2004
    Middle America
    ... yeah ... my 'sperience, too ...

8. Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like no one in the UK knows (or cares?) about this topic.

Anyway, I'm not really looking to start a discussion about the relative merits (or lack thereof) of the various Les Paul models. My own view simply put, is that it's good to have a choice...

However, if the thing isn't hanging on the wall in the shop, or listed as "in stock" online, what choice is that?

So, final time before I just let this go: :rolleyes: Has ANYONE actually seen the 2017 Standard HP on sale in a shop?

Cheers folks

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

9. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Nope.

I checked my local(ish) Gibson dealer (a little further south than you!) - and didn't see one.

10. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I saw a few of them while I was working in Charlotte NC (I was there from September 2016 until May 2017); the Sam Ash there stocked a few of the HPs but they hung on the wall while the T models sold pretty well here in the USA. If the UK dealers felt they were burned by the 2015s and the 2016 HPs then they probably just didn't order the 2017 HPs unless they were forced to by Gibson.

I suppose this is why Gibson has apparently cut the HP series down to 2 models for 2018 - they just don't sell all that well, and they probably sold more of the higher-end models than they did the lower-end models.

11. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Yeah! When's the last time they offered a plain old Les Paul Standard? How hard could it be?

I know, I know, there's a new version of the Standard out. It looks like one. But with things like coil tapping and phase inverting, it's a much more complicated instrument than a Standard should be.

Four knobs is complication enough!

Now excuse me while I go hug my Tele . . . .

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.

12. Charlie Bernstein

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    And if other people didn't drop and break 'em, the rest of us wouldn't be able to buy repaired Gibsons we can actually afford!

Paul G. and OlRedNeckHippy like this.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Four knobs is rocket science! Don't they know they're dealing with gittar players?

14. Charlie Bernstein

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    It sure ain't suborbital jet propulsion!

15. LPTyler

LPTyler TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Rock Springs, WY
    I have the 2016 HP, which I think is the peak of the HP line. No chrome hardware (a big plus in my book), but it still has the other nice features like the improved heel(great) and the slightly wider neck which I really like. I hate the Gforce, and just changed mine out for locking grovers. The genuine MOP is cool, but it's hard to tell from the fake stuff, so that is not a deal breaker for me.

The case is really cool, but it's Heavy and bulky, so if I gigged a lot I would change it for the standard case. I think the neck and the heel are worth the price and the tuners are easy to change out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.