Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

what's the hardest tune you've learned?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ndcaster, Nov 9, 2017.

1. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    The most difficult ones I know I still consider to be works in progress, even if I can stumble through it with various degrees of success.

awasson, Sounds Good and Snowbird like this.

2. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I learned "neon" by Mayer a while back.....took me forever to get the crazy fingerings right, then it took me a bit longer to learn to play it and sing it.

Sounds Good and Snowbird like this.

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    Grey Pianos Flying is incredibly difficult! Well done.

Sounds Good likes this.

4. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    Thanks!! Yes i use to be mad on Shawn Lane when i first started so after about 18 months started on some of his stuff, watched all the videos and got all his tab books and tried to copy him, the stretch licks took me ages because my fingers are maybe a little shorter than his were even. But the other stuff he showed like the penatonic cross over licks i got fairly quick, i suppose i have a twitchy nervous system like he said he had.

I just practised his stuff and songs for around three and half years, plus a bit of 8 finger tapping and finger picking arps. Then the person i was caring for passed and it put me of playing for 6 years, she was a singer and liked music alot so just seemed empty not playing with her present.

I started back around 2 year ago so more less started from scratch again, now i play allsorts more because i suppose i got very narrow back then. I still play some of Shawns licks and have fun doing so, but i try to get more melody if i can rather than speed but still have the occasional speed burst. But Shawn had melody as well, i learnt Epilogue for Lisa again and at the Christmas party after nearly a year of my sister passing i played it for all the family and friends.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017

5. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    Without a doubt Stray Cat Strut. I still play it constantly just because I put so much time into it. There just isn't any room for error anywhere. Another one oddly enough is the old Ink Spots I Don't Want To Set The World on Fire. Especially if you pick the entire melody through as a solo over the talking portion. I love the Ink Spots.

6. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    Please, Please Baby (Dwight Yoakam & Pete Anderson). Memorizing this song was not too bad. Getting up to speed will take about a year. Practice, practice!

brookdalebill likes this.

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    That is awesome that you worked so hard at it and got it down. Id have to practice a really, really long time to get that stuff down! Shawn was a monster player and I love the Powers of Ten album.

I’m sorry to hear about your friend who passed away. I’m glad you felt like you could come back to the guitar.

Sounds Good likes this.

8. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Some of Scotty Anderson's stuff. Did I actually ever get it right? No!

Quite a bit of other songs where phrasing, etc can be a challenge.

Some of my own stuff, usually reinterpretations of other songs, where I try to fancy it up way too much esp with contrary motion bending and more.

9. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

Any recordings of "Light my Fire"...man this is very interesting idea:)

10. teledude1958

teledude1958 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2017
    bradenton fla
    I havent learned it yet. So it must be hard.

11. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I subscribed to this thread to see what interesting pieces you guys are playing.

The hardest tune I’ve learned to play is Steve Vai’s “Eugene’s Trickbag” from the Crossroads movie from the 80’s. It’s one of those pieces I had to sit down over a series of days and just work on one or two parts at a time before I could tie the different movements together into a final performance. I’ve got it pretty much down but I run out of frets for the last movement so I’m going to have to rework it to accommodate my 21 fret Strat.

I decided to learn it because someone in another thread mentioned they “woodshedded” it over a weekend or something like that. In contrast, I think I’ve been “woodshedding” it for about 2 or 3 months now :oops:

Learning that song really made me stretch my abilities and I think I’m a better player for it. I’m still a hack but I’m constantly making small improvements.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

12. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    Are we talking stuff you actually worked out by yourself, stuff for which you have - and can read - the sheet music, or stuff you found a good slow-motion Youtube lesson with tabs for ? ;)

13. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    All of them. I'm also coming to the conclusion that I have the memory of a..........well, something that can't remember stuff.

I have a lesson, learn some stuff, drive home - and it's as if I've never had a lesson.

awasson likes this.

14. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    Thanks Alot!! Yes the real truth is i started back playing trying to attract this girl i liked but still she is not that interested, still i enjoy playing and i suppose you cant have everything.

This chap has his stuff down fairly well take a listen.

awasson likes this.

15. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    Took me a long time to get the intro part of this right.

16. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Cliffs of Dover. I've been working on that song for 27 years and still don't have it down- many parts are good, but from start to finish...well, not yet. My musical goal in life is to play a decent rendition of that song live. Hope I've still got many years left before I'm gone!:)

17. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Dang it.. I forgot about that song. I'm in the same boat. I learned a bunch of it back in the mid-90's and thought I'd be able to master it too. Every now and again I'll rattle of some of the arpeggios or the main theme but I definitely need to put that on the list of "hard songs to actually learn to play".

Sounds Good and brookdalebill like this.

18. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Getting the main riff of The Killers' Mr Brightside has been a big challenge for me. Think my fat fingers don't help. It's a mix of high fretted and open strings.. after the main riff it goes to a finger stretching and muscle cramping pre-chorus before some easier stuff in the chorus then you have to land cleanly and precisely back on the main riff with not a beat to spare..

On a sidenote, it's a song that i have never understood its appeal, but the place goes nuts when we play it...

jman72 and awasson like this.

19. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    "Smoke on the Water' when I was about 11-years-old. In my current 80's cover band, it's probably trying to do justice to Senses Working Overtime by XTC.

Larry F likes this.

20. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I'm afraid this is me too ^^^, especially after reading a lot of these responses.

johnny k likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.