Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What's the going rate for guitar lessons?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dave Yeats, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Tele-Holic

I have a friend who's been playing for a year, and he was asking me if I would give him lessons. What's the going rate? Seems like I charged $20 for 1/2 hour last time I did this about 4 years ago. Keep in mind that I'm not a "professional" and I don't live in a big urban area, so I'm expecting to charge less than someone who does it for a living in a big city.

2. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

$20 for a half hour sounds about right. You might charge non-friends $25.
    As you said, in urban areas it's more--I think we pay about $35 for my son's guitar teacher.
    best
    Allen

3. F1rocco

F1rocco Tele-Meister

$25 an hour for one of the greatest possible teachers for me........Want to do it cheap enough to keep people like me coming back.....After 5 months Im now every 2 weeks instead of weekly..............

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

i take 20 euros for an hour. thats a rate that seems to be acceptable for most people. 30 euros for twins, that means for two peole per hour. they have o book 12 hours and pay in advance. they get a training-cd as well.

6. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i took a couple of months of lessons roughly a year ago. i believe it was $14 a half hour.

i would've much preferred bi weekly to weekly.

7. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

My guy teaches out of his house and charges $13 for half an hour. The guy at the local guitar shop charges $16 for half an hour

8. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

Varies here from $30/$35 for a half and $60 for the hour. Nothing cheap around here. EVER!!:rolleyes: :D

9. Jorge

Jorge Tele-Afflicted

Back in the days when I was new at guitar I think I payed a 100 swedish crowns (about 15 dollars) for an hour with a Pro. I knew this guy so it might have been cheaper because of that I don't really know. But since he had students all the time I doubt it.

But I would recomend a book in guitarplaying for people who has just started so they learn everything correctly (you should see the way I take an open D-Chord) and if they have played a while I would suggest a book in the field they are specializing in or maybe a DVD , I always get more out of books and DVD's then I do from lessons. Again this is just me!

10. 250Keith

250Keith TDPRI Member

The guitar store down the street from me charges 80$ a month for one day a week I dont know how long the lessons are.

11. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

Man, the Bay Area is expensive. My younger daughter has been asking for fiddle lessons (no pressure from Dad, I swear), so I've been trying to find her a teacher, and the rates have ranged from $45-90/hr! Two of those teachers, who charge $70/hr. and $90/hr. respectively, also teach guitar and charge the same rates for guitar.

12. onceagriffon

onceagriffon Tele-Meister

I pay $10 for a 1/2 hour in the San Diego area,
    Rob

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

As others have noted, a lot depends on where you are, who the teacher is, their qualifications, and how well you know them.

One suggestion I've given to former students who wanted to get up and running with their own students is to start by giving 45 minute lessons.

Find out the going rate for 30 minute lessons in your area, then charge that same price, but for a 45 minute lesson. That way the student gets a good deal, and you're not short-changing yourself with too low a price.

Also, 30 minute lessons go by very quickly, and if you're not well organized, the lesson time can be over before you've had a chance to actually teach anything. 45 minutes gives you a little extra time, so both you and the student can be more laid back.

I also recommend booking students one per hour at first. That way you have a little break between each student, and if you have a student who is just starting to "get it" at minute 44, you can give them the few extra minutes they need.

Whenever possible, I like to be able to "go over" a few minutes. Students appreciate that too, and giving a few extra minutes here or there will serve you well in the long run in terms of student loyalty, IMO.

If there's a demand in your area for guitar teachers, assuming you're good at teaching guitar, the above strategy should have you nearly full in just a few months. At that point, you can re-adjust your prices.

The worst thing you can do is give free or super-discounted lessons (e.g., $5) to friends. They won't value it, won't practice, and it's just encouraging them to waste your time and theirs.

Better to charge close to a standard lesson price for your area, but then give them extra time "for free". That way the student gets a good deal, you still get paid, and it will help keep your options open for the future if you decide you really like teaching.

In Dallas, a good music teacher with references and a 4 year degree costs between $25 and $35 per half-hour. Without the degree but with good references, and it's maybe 20-30% less. A celebrity teacher might be able to get $100 per lesson or more, but just because they're famous doesn't mean they can actually teach...

14. ge_trojan

ge_trojan TDPRI Member

Here in Waynesboro, Va, I pay $10 per 1/2 hour.

15. TBoneDeluxe

TBoneDeluxe Tele-Meister

They've been $25-30 for a 30 minute lesson in the Ann Arbor, MI area for the past 3-4 years.

16. dogggone

dogggone Tele-Meister

My son is 10 yrs old, his instructor charges $10.00/ 30 min lesson.
    However I am told the going rate in the area is $15.oo/30 min lesson.

17. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

30 minutes is way too short in reality.

18. Jeffscreamedcorn

Jeffscreamedcorn Tele-Holic

I haven't taught guitar in a long time, but I get $100 hr. for composition lessons.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.