Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What's the genre? (Guy Mitchell)

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by falcon5romeo, Apr 20, 2017.

1. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley

Just stumbled on this guy about a year ago. I love the song, the instrumentation, the vibe...and his voice is like butter. You don't hear classical singing like that anymore.

But what would you label this style of music? It ain't blues, it ain't country, it ain't jazz....what then?

And are there any other songs/artists that you know of that could fit into this 'genre'?

ac15 likes this.

2. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Other artist? About a zillion. Big help, I know. Look up the pop charts of that era.

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Just pop ,pre beatles pop , better than many .I did know this song and sang it at parties in the 60's , when in my girlfriends set ,I was unwisely invited to them to play for my wine and cheese .It always went down well .A foot tapper sort of .Bashed out on a Harmony Sovereign .Another favorite was the' hole in the elephants bottom" which always went down well .Shows the kind of parties I went to .

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Straight pop, but he reminded me of Frank Ifield, who came a little later, and was more or less country.

6. jackinjax

jackinjax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I didn't recognize the song or the artist until I played the video. As soon as I heard the whistling I remembered hearing on the radio back when it was popular.
    He was a pop singer that tried to crossover. I'd classify this song as white man's blues, but more accurately, early rock and roll. Kinda sounds like Elvis' early stuff.

7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Pop indeed. Genre distinctions are fun and even useful to a point, but I like keeping them broad.

8. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    Marty Robbins had the first recording, and hit, with that song in Sept of '56. Less than a month after Marty made it to #1 on the Country Charts, Guy Mitchell made it to #1 on the Pop Charts in Oct '56, then Thomas Steele made it to #1 on the UK Singles Chart January of '57 doing more of the Guy Mitchell arrangement of the song.

P Thought and falcon5romeo like this.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Yup, pop.
    Love it.
    It swings, it rocks, it would be right at home in a movie theme or soundtrack, the guy can sing, but he's not showing off, it's jaunty, simple, and ultra memorable.
    What's not to like?

falcon5romeo likes this.

10. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    It's hard to believe that was just considered standard pop music, in light of what 'pop' means now. BrookdaleBill you hit it on the head, it's a stellar song that I can't get out of my head.

I'd love to find more guys that sang like him and Marty, a full deep classical male voice. But I like the stripped down sound of the song. Even when I look up other stuff by Guy Mitchell, it's usually swamped in orchestration, like Bobby Darin.

Cliff Richard is one of my favorites too.

11. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley

Here's another great example of the classic 'pop' genre. Simple instrumentation, deep buttery voice, catchy melodies. Perfect.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm more of a Slim fan.

falcon5romeo likes this.

13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Years ago when I was between marriages, a guitar-playing lady friend tried to teach me "Singing the Blues", not knowing that no one then could teach me nothing. I'd forgotten the song and her until you brought this up. Good memories.

falcon5romeo likes this.

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I always call it "Pre Beatles Pop."

Music that's often a little bit square or innocent sounding, before the Beatles and Dylan came along and everyone tried to be too clever.

I sort of include Gene Pitney, Pat Boone, Del Shannon and others in that genre, even though a couple of those guys probably fall a bit outside what you're thinking of, at least vocally.

Been a big fan of that genre for a long time, and sing some of those tunes in my solo act. Also in a 9 piece retro lounge band that does such songs.

I see a Ray Conniff record in your future. More for the retro sounds though. He doesn't always have smooth male voices, at least solo. Often his vocalists are singing in groups. Still a great retro sound. It is the whitest music ever, and my wife makes fun of me because I actually bought the box set!

More up your alley probably.......You might like Roger Whitaker. I know I do:

How bout some Ed Ames while we're at it:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    falcon5romeo likes this.

15. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    Very astute observation!

ac15 likes this.

16. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    Paul McCartney must have been familiar with that Tommy Steele UK #1 version: he did a very nice cover of Singing The Blues in 1991 on his Unplugged album.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.