Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's the first step to learning the pedal steel

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Steelman36, Aug 17, 2017.

1. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I'm shopping for a lap steel, myself.

I don't know if I'll ever continue down the path toward pedal steel, but I am looking forward to taking that first step and exploring the world of tone bars and C6 tuning. :D

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I played lap steel for a few years first. Getting a lap steel will move you towards understanding the pedal steel quite a bit - getting the hang of blocking and damping and bar techniques.

Then all you have to do is get used to the 2 (or 4) extra strings, and the pedals and knee levers. Simple. :D

- D

3. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2009
    Eagle Mills, NY
    I've been playing about two years now. Before I bought a steel (Stage One E9, three pedals, four levers) I watched a bunch of introduction-style videos on YouTube so I was kind of able to conceptualize some things. There's a few basics that can carry you a long way, kind of like learning the cowboy chords on guitar. I also found a guy locally who let me try out his steel and he gave me a few pointers

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I was lucky. A friend took up pedal steel. I got him to do the heavy lifting and I got to play guitar!

I play pretty good lap steel, but pedals and knee levers make my brain smoke.

My current band has a pedal steel player. He's still kind of new to it, but adds a lot and gets better all the time.

StrangerNY likes this.

5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Yep, that's all!
    :lol::lol:

I'm thinking pedal steel could be one of my "retirement projects."

Still have a few years to go, so I can spend some time with the lap steel and work my way up.

StrangerNY likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.