What's the best way to get that Dick Dale Tone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm fine, but when I told my young Nephew to take a look at the posts some of the guys threw out there, he noticed another thread that he said, " looks like somebody is mocking this thread" then asked why? I had no answer, maybe you could clue him in Buddy.

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Nature of the beast/post count/satire, it's "TeeDee"...

3. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

Dick is my favorite guitar man that’s STILL alive.
    Your nephew definitely doesn’t need to spend $1500+ on an outbourd reverb unit. A good strong reverb pedal will do the trick unless he decides to make surf guitar his life!
    Another thing to note is he doesn’t bother with intonation. In an interview he said something like “if Clapton picked up my guitar and tried playing it, he’d hate it!”
    So cool.

4. Squiertony

Squiertony TDPRI Member

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Loud, clean, tons of reverb, strings that don't flex very much when you hit 'em, and play the bridge pickup using a single coil. Go straight for a 100W amp (or thereabout) that is "vintage voiced." A Twin Reverb would be the easiest one-stop way to get close, without going to the extremes that he goes to (piggyback head/cab with 15's, packed with padding behind the speakers).

Oh, and also: be really, really good.

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Egads, you let your nephew read this crap? Before you know it he'll be wearing cargo shorts, getting into playground fights over tone wood, and posting in the Scotch and Rum threads. ;)

Shuster, twotone60 and DrPepper like this.
  7. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

I agree that outboard reverb is key! I miss mine it is well worth it if you use reverb!

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

A couple of things to note:

1. Those Dual Showman amps that Dale uses are just a Twin in a head form, so get yourself a Twin as they are easier to find good ones
    2. A very wet reverb is considered a must, but remember that Dale's first albums were not with reverb...he used a dimed tremolo for the birth of his surf sound...you can too.

9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

DD used brownface Showmans, pretty rare today compared to the blackface stuff. Probably really doesn't matter much unless a person has to have the exact same set up. I've found 99% of sounding like any body is getting the playing part down, the gear part is just money after that, wasted money if you can't play it.
    If you go back and look at most classic Surf recordings and the gear used you won't find a lot of blackface amps. Not that a Twin Reverb wouldn't have worked, it was just a timing thing. The first TR circuit was the AA763, followed shortly by the AB763. The 763 part is the date, August 1963.
    And there's nothing that beats those old outboard reverb units. It's interesting to note those stayed in production after the amps with built in reverb came out.
    But today you can get close enough to fool all but the gearheads with a lot of different things.

11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Here's another fine YouTube example of how Dick plays. Can't see the gear, but, man, does he have mighty paws to make his Strat sound like this!

I wonder if his dad sharpened bulldozer blade edges for a living when he made Dick.

12. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This was an interesting look at a Great Player, and this story we came across that really told us a lot about what he uses thru the years.
    Kool Kat that Mr. Dale is;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.