Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's the best way to get that Dick Dale Tone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
    My nephew was buying a bunch different albums at a garage sale a few weeks back, and one of them was a Dick Dale album.
    He said he never heard anybody play guitar that way, and what's he using to get that tone? Not being a big DD fan, I have no idea, so I figure the great amount of musicians here have more knowledge on the ways and how's!,,, Thanks in advance!

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    a Stratocaster through a Showman amp, turned up very loud. He was an early user of Fender equipment, and Leo Fender worked with him to develop these instruments.

Shuster likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    DD fan here, but not a DD gearhead by any means. Strat through a Fender 6G15 outboard reverb tank, then Dual Showman w/ 15" speakers is what he's known for. The outboard reverb tank is muy importante.

I use a outboard spring tank, but I also get a killer surf sound with a Timmy>Topanga>DRRI w/ a little tube spring reverb dialed in on the amp.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Strat. Big Fender BF amp turned way up. Huge strings (16 gauge high E, if memory serves?).

nojazzhere, Shuster and TheGoodTexan like this.
  5. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2018
    USA
    Dick Dale plays a strat through a Fender Showman with nothing inbetween but an outboard reverb tank. Played loud. Very very loud. He also uses very thick strings. And (perhaps most importantly) he’s a lefty that plays guitar with the strings on backwards (I.e the high e is is strung where the low e should be, etc.) so that adds some uniqueness to what he does. And while it’s usually helpful to play surf music with a vibrato equipped guitar, Dick Dale has his strat trem blocked. That’s right, the King of Surf Guitar does not use a whammy bar at all!

Being a surf fan I’ve chased those tones myself. For reverb I’ve settled on the Source Audio True Spring. Purists will tell you only a proper tube driven outboard reverb tank will do but I’m not a purist. I have a Tele with 11’s and if I dial a fat clean tone and use the reverb pedal I get good surfy Dick Dale-ish (emphasis on the “-ish”) tones.

Ben-Zion, nojazzhere, Shuster and 2 others like this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Heretic!!
    Especially since it's all digital, folks will be flipping out. Not me though, mine isn't going anywhere, at least until something better comes along, like a Topanga 2.0 or something.

Shuster, Mike Eskimo and OttoCorrect like this.
  7. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    All I can add is that he's reputed to strike the strings hard.

Shuster likes this.
  8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    I think any BF/SF reverb will get in the ballpark. But to nail it you would have to have a big iron fender, separate reverb unit, hit the strings hard..... upside down. In other words, be Dick Dale.

nojazzhere and Shuster like this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I’m not a Reverb aficionado. But once you get away from a true outboard tank, digital seems to be the ticket, to me.

I never knew what “drip” was u til I tried the Analog Alien Rumble Seat’s reverb. Now I’m hooked.

twotone60, Shuster and BorderRadio like this.
  10. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2018
    USA
    Lol, yup. I got into surf/instro stuff through Man or Astro-Man? so, while I love a good outboard tank as much as the next guy, I’m hardly one who thinks it’s absolutely required for the genre. People that rigid are too exclusionary for my tastes. Kinda like how any rockabilly band *needs* a stand up bass. I dunno, the Cramps managed to sound pretty good with an electric bass or no bass at all if you ask me. Etc etc etc. End rant.

Shuster and BorderRadio like this.
  11. Shuster

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Thanks Guy's,,,

12. Shuster

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Once Again,Thanks Guy's,,, But why can't you ask for a little info, without getting flamed by another member starting another thread?
    Which is not Kool!

13. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, everyone thinks SRV used the biggest strings... DD used absolutely HUGE strings. Something like 15-60. I would think that would have a whole lot to do with his tone, because of all the super fast alternate picking, slapping the string back and forth.

Shuster likes this.
  14. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    As of a few years ago at least, Dick Dale was very responsive to fan email. I sent him a few questions and heard back from him the same day, and we had a pleasant back-and-forth exchange over several days. Really nice guy. I don't have the address anymore but it probably isn't hard to find, if he's still hanging out online. If your nephew's a fan, exchanging a few emails with a guy like Dick Dale might really make his day. It certainly did mine.

Manual Slim, CoyotesGator and Shuster like this.
  15. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Really heavy strings, a blocked trem, and a THICK pick are a big part of his tone.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Strat>Twin

Dick Dale once autographed my Gretsch, while informing me that the Fender Stratocaster is THE ultimate guitar.

While groping my date.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Strat>bassman, heavy strings, heavy pick and super fast strumming hand. I chased his tone for years.

Oh, and very loud.

18. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    Strat into blackface Fender. Way too much reverb, guitar in drop C tuning.

19. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    It was a joke man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.