Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's the best quality short scale guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by KidTelecaster, May 25, 2010.

1. ErnestT

ErnestT Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2006
    Western N.C.
    Don't forget about Gretsch. Their Website says the Electromatic 5120 has a 24.56" scale. I think some of the other more expensive models have a 24.6 scale. If you are looking for a solid body, the Electromatic ProJets having a 24.6" scale, as does the more expensive DuoJet. Check out their Website. I used to have a Jaguar, and the 24" scale starts to get a little cramped around the 10t fret or so. 24.6 might be a nice compromise that lets you make those reaches easier while giving you a little breathing room on the higher frets.

2. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

+1 on the 325. it's even better if you put a Ric trapeze 320 tailpiece on it.

3. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    You want, no, need, a Peavey T-15. It's a 23" scale guitar with two Peavey Super Ferrite pickups, which sound like a cross between a P-90 and a Tele pickup. Don't pass these up as toys. You should be able to find a good example in a pawn shop or on eBay.

4. KidTelecaster

KidTelecaster Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Oregon
    Wow, these are all great tips and I'll look into all of them. Thanks guys!

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

6. J-man

J-man Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Wales
    Admin Post

This.

7. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'd second the suggestions for a Jaguar or Duo Sonic. I like my Jag, but wish the fretboard was not so narrow. I have big hands and long fingers; may not be as issue for you.

Good luck.

8. macdog

macdog Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I used to have one of those short scale Rics. Looks - fantastic. Sounds - fantastic. Playability - tricky. Every time it appeared in public it drew a crowd. They have a certain charisma. When I sold it at a second hand music store staff and customers gathered around, everyone wanted to play it. I sold it to finance the purchase of a 62 RI Tele (a profoundly better guitar in terms of playability by the way).

9. DGW11

DGW11 TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Durango Colorado
    Contender

This is somthing new..Durango Guitar Works 24" short scale.
    [​IMG]

10. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Jun 27, 2009
    Colbert, WA

11. ttkplays24

ttkplays24 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 2, 2011
    San Marcos Texas
    24 inch scale electric

www.dddodd.com hand builds very nice 24 inch scale electric guitars in Texas

12. rjones652

rjones652 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2011
    Oregon
    T-15

3/4 scale LP junior....I think they made them in '59 :lol:

13. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    One thing to keep in mind is that as the scale gets shorter, nut with and in the case of the PV's neck thickness (front to back) is often reduced. The T-15 is very slim front to back and the Musicmaster I had was narrowed enough to be noticible. Play before you purchase is probably a good policy

14. Chooch

Chooch TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2011
    San Diego
    I had a CIJ Jaguar with a Tune o matic bridge and humbuckers. Kickin myself to this day for trading that thing, what a solid chunk of masculinity that was. Black w/matching headstock, and loads of chrome. :(

But man, what a player. I'd highly encourage you to look for those CIJ HH Jaguars, sounds like it'd be right up your alley

15. rjones652

rjones652 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Also, Peavey Viper.

Outplays/sounds most Teles.

16. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

brilliant ;)

and Paige makes a capo specifically for electric

17. Prison Rodeo

Prison Rodeo Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2009
    State College, PA

18. slimline

slimline NEW MEMBER!

Nov 15, 2012
    brooklyn
    Lots of great advice here, thanks everyone.

I want to bump this thread as I am looking to buy a short scale guitar and I have some questions that haven't been answered here.

First of all, can anyone identify the body of this guitar?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/COOL-PEAVEY...R-/160923027720?pt=Guitar&hash=item2577c28908

Apparently someone took the neck of a Peavey T 15 and attached it to the body of an as-yet-unidentified red guitar. I can't tell what it is. Hope someone here can help! The guitar is being sold by a pawn shop that has an ebay store so they have no idea what the guitar body is.

Also, does anyone know about the quality of the Rondo short scale guitars? They seem way too cheap to me.

19. philpm

philpm TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    That looks a little bit like a Peavey Falcon body, or possibly a Patriot, assuming of course that it actually is a Peavey body. On first look, I'm not sure it is.

On a related note to your question about the Rondo's, does anyone know about the quality of the Durango Guitar Works guitars. I bookmarked that site a long time ago, and have always wondered about them. I'd love to have me a good short scale git, and the supply of T-15's we had around here has dried up for the time being.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.