Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's the best quality short scale guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by KidTelecaster, May 25, 2010.

1. KidTelecaster

KidTelecaster Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Oregon
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Chill Mike D

Chill Mike D Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2008
    New York
    How short?

At 24", the CV Duo Sonic is tough to beat. Or are you talking about one of those super small viola-sized mini guitars?

3. brokenarrow5

brokenarrow5 Tele-Meister

May 13, 2010
    florida
    listen to me---- get a fender jaguar

ItsaTele likes this.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Les Paul? :lol:

Please be more specific.

5. KidTelecaster

KidTelecaster Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm looking for a good quality guitar and I'll look into all those ideas. Definitely not looking for a guitar that looks or plays like a toy.

I have a beautiful Tele that's a dream to play in every way except in being able to reach certain chords.

Thanks guys.

ItsaTele likes this.

6. Chill Mike D

Chill Mike D Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2008
    New York
    Ok, I have a Telecaster and several Epiphones so I know what you're talking about. But the difference between 25.5 and 24.75 is pretty slight.

If you go all the way down to 24 you'll notice a pretty big difference with those chords.

ItsaTele likes this.

7. vic108

vic108 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2005
    Greenbackville, VA

.......yup!~

ItsaTele likes this.

8. crowden

crowden Tele-Holic

Apr 8, 2008
    St. Petersburg, FL
    The Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline has a 24.75" scale length as opposed to the standard 25.5" scale length for Tele's and Strat's. The VM Thinline's neck is also ruffly the same scale length as a Les Paul.

I love mine and it's my 2nd favorite neck after an AllParts TMO-V (which has the normal scale length). For me, The perfect neck would be a TMO-V with a 24.75" scale but I would have to have such a neck custom made.

Please note that the Squier's neck is not very "chunky", so if you like chunky necks, you may not like it.

9. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    Rickenbacker 325. 20.75" scale length. :cool:

[​IMG]

- Scott

10. Robin Nahum

Robin Nahum Friend of Leo's

Mar 5, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Well Known Hollow Body Options

A Gibson Byrdland (23 1/2") or, if you want to go laminate (and spend a little less), an early fully hollow ES350 - also 23 1/2".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Byrdland

Seriously, there is also the Epiphone Elitist version of the Byrdie which is supposed to be a fine instrument.

Well Known Solid Body

Fender Mustang. As small as 22 1/2" if you want but also available as 24".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Mustang

Warmoth will sell you all the bits you need to make one - including the bridge/tremolo.

DIY

USA Custom Guitars will sell you a just-bolt-on-and adjust-the-saddle short scale neck (24 3/4") for a Tele.

And the 3/4" difference between my Tele and my ES345, Les Paul and Charliecaster is noticeable; those stretchy jazz chords are much easier to play. Ergonomics is funny like that.

11. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tune down to Eb and capo on the 1st fret = 24" scale.

Tune down to D and capo the second fret = 22 3/4" scale. ;)

DrMarkO likes this.

13. cycler

cycler Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2003
    new jersey
    Collings 290, if you like a P90 guitar.

14. gogirlguitars

gogirlguitars Tele-Holic

Squier Jagmaster is 24 inch.
    Also Old Peavey T15 T 20 are even shorter 23 1/2 i think.

I have a CV duo sonic and a Jagmaster, and have played a Peavey T 15 many years ago. There are older Mexican Duos also with I think 22 1/2, very tiny, you really have to have small hands.

My dream is the Ricky with 20 3/4...I have no idea how John Lennon played that one with his man hands. This is possibly the only scale length i could really play rock vamps on in F position using a barre E chords.

The reissue was a 320 rick
    http://www.rosewoodvintageguitars.com/SearchEngineCatalog/rickenbacker-320.htm
    No whammy bar

The rose morris reissue model 1996 is the one I am lusting after, it has a 10 " radius versus 7.5 on most of the 325/320 type guitars.

Having small hands i have chased these short scale guitars. I love them, but IMO they lack the tone of a full scale.

ItsaTele likes this.

15. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana

16. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    Auburn, Alabama
    i had a '78 Fender Musicmaster...one pup in the neck, 24" scale...sounded sooo sweet...i really wish i hadn't sold it, but it was to fund a $450 '74 SG purchase...i figured that wasn't ever gunna happen again.

[​IMG]

as soon as i have the scratch and find the right one...i'm going to buy it!

17. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    I've got a danelectro U2 56 RI that is 24" scale
    My wife has a Lil Martin that is 23" scale (very comfy to play sitting in a chair on the porch!)
    And I just bought (and probably made the mistake of buying) a little mini LP style guitar on ebay. It's a 19" scale....It will be here today, we'll see if that's just too small!

I will probably end up buying a mini squier to travel with but would love to get something a little nicer, but don't know what. I know that there is a Brian May Mini out there but at almost $400...yikes, might have to build something custom!

18. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    +1 on this..may actualy be TOO small for most adults, but they sound good and have excelent build quailty for much less $ than any other US made guitar. The Patriots that replaced this model are 24" ( I belive) and would also warrant a look.

19. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2009
    UK
    Jaguars are cool, but I'd rather have a Mustang and put some decent pickups in it. I have had Jaguars and Mustangs in the past and I just couldn't get over the dam bridge/vibrato on Jaguars. I always ended up locking the Jaguars vibrato and swapping the bridge for a Mustang one. The only thing I really liked about the Jaguar I had was the pickups I put in it. I've always considered buying a nice old Mustang (they are still affordable) and saving the pickups and getting some custom wound to sound how I'd like.

Fender really needs to bring out a new shorter scale guitar to address the market for a decent bolt-on, singlecoil with a smaller neck.

Anyway a 50s Les Paul Junior my favourite shorter scale guitar, you can even get 3/4 length ones.

Last edited: May 26, 2010

20. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Dec 10, 2007
    Greetings from Sunny New Jersey
    Love, love, love this guitar. Do yourself a favor and at least try it out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.