Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What's the best 8" guitar speaker?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by the_lyall, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Great review, but it's a shame they did not include the Jupiter 8SC, Fat Jimmy C825 and the Celestion Eight 15.

brbadg likes this.
  2. Besquire

Besquire TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2017
    DE
    WGS G 8 C!!!!!!No Dought.

jwp2 likes this.
  3. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    The best 8" speaker is a ten or twelve in a larger cab. I love a single ten but the eights are just too small.

jwp2 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. CK5150

CK5150 TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2013
    St Charles, IL
    On the recommendation of that Premier Guitar article referenced above I put a WGS G8C in my tweed Champ that sounded fizzy, thin, and lifeless and I was blown away by the result. The amp now growls and grinds and has a beautiful, musical tone.

6. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    I put a Weber Blue Pup 8" speaker in my 5F1 clone. It's meant to be an 8" version of a standard Celestion Blue - how successful that is I'm not sure, but it sound pretty darn good in the Champ....

MadJack likes this.
  7. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    Chicago Ill
    Hey guys, I just want you to know that this post was purely tongue in cheek! There are so many great sounding speaker out there that its hard to pick just one.

TNO likes this.
  8. the_lyall

the_lyall Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2017
    Bedford, UK
    True - and also the 'best sound' is subjective to how you want to sound...

I appreciate all the suggestions though. As the police would say - I am 'exploring all avenues' :)

9. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    Chicago Ill
    I have a Twin Reverb Reissue. I love the amp but it can get bright and icepicky very easy. I wanted to tame that. After some research, I decided the Eminence Cannabis Rex would be the way to go and I'm glad I did. The isn't overly bright and the ice picks are gone! To your point, yes, it just depends on the sounds we are after.

10. BCblues55

BCblues55 TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Virginia
    I did the same thing with my SFVC. LOVE it! Not a bad price, too!

11. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Jensen reissue p8r if not an original or variant thereof (p8rx or p8rs). The absolute best (to me) is one of those silver framed alnicos with the blue "fender" foil label they put in the early silver face champs!!! Out of about 6 champs/vibrochamps I had, everyone sounded better played through that speaker and I a/b'd all six once though the cab with it. My wife even thought it was the best and she's an uninterested third party.

12. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Jupiter (made by WGS) is my favorite 8", but the WGS, Weber and Eminence are all good speakers.

brbadg likes this.
  13. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Would you mind commenting further on the difference between these 2 speakers? I'm going to buy one of these or possibly the Fat Jimmy, also made by WGS, for my Muchxs Champ and would like more information than is offered on the vendor web sites. Thanks.

14. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    snottyboy likes this.
  15. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/monoprice-5-watt-tube-combo.590580/page-12#post-7190202

I really like the Jupe, and I've had many great Webers in the past, but once you throw out MuchXS's name, all bets are off. He has a knack for finding great old speakers, and he knows the amp (and what will sound best in it) better than anyone.

The best sounding speaker in a MuchXS Champ is the one MuchXS puts in it. I would never dream of second-guessing him.

16. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2014
    Windsor ON Canada
    I loaded a Celestion eight 15 into my 1974 Fender Bronco today. The amp has a couple of very effective mods, (tonestack lifts, and negative feedback mod). I also did a better install of a Dr. Z Brake Lite in the bottom of the cab.

I removed an old seventies vintage 8" Marsland.

The results are promising when played clean. There is much more volume and a wider tonal range than before. Less nasally, less boxy, definite improvement clean, damn near perfect driven.

The Celestion can handle the natural distortion smoothly, and is as awesome as any of my half dozen of OD pedals anywhere from 5 to 10 (volume), with the mods engaged. This is where the Celestion really shines. I am curious how long breakin will be. It sounds awesome driven and overdriven. The Brake Lite easily keeps the bedroom levels in check.

The wiring harness is ready to easily accept other 8" speakers as they become available to me.

oldfish likes this.
  17. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

A left-field idea here, but also very cheap. Keep an eye out for 8 inch drivers from old hifi speakers. I got an 8 inch 1970s Yorkshire made Richard Allen full range driver for next to no cost for my SS Bronco. It sounded a lot better than the cheap stock speaker. Great big magnet and a fuller tone and lot more bottom end.

The full range version has a small whizzer cone in the centre which is effectively a built in tweeter. It's a miniature paper cone protruding out from the main cone. For use with a guitar amp you just carefully cut it off with a craft knife close to where it meets the main cone. You can also find woofer versions without the whizzer cone.

18. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
  19. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Mr Green Genes likes this.
  20. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Agreed. Some like bright, some look for something more bassy, especially in an 8", where a little "woof" like an old black lab is preferred to the usual bite of an angry chihuahua.

snottyboy likes this.
  21. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA

I'm sure Eric picked the speaker in mine based on my intended use as a low-volume home player. It does a great job at this and I love it. But he doesn't build them all to one spec. Mine was one of 2 he built late last year, and they have different speakers.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/nad-muchxs-5f1-tweed-champ-clone.700740/#post-7404503

Mine has a distinct buzz at certain frequencies, so I would like to try another speaker. It also doesn't hurt to have a second flavor available.

Jimclarke100 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.