Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Whats the best 72 Thinline for the money?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by grey8, Jun 2, 2009.

1. grey8

grey8 TDPRI Member

Im kinda new here... love the forum.

Lately Ive fallen in love with the 72 line... ive decided im going for the Thinline... Ive read several not-so-good comments on MIM Thinlines wich got me wondering... whats the best Thinline i can get for the money? Id love to get a real 70s one... but i dont have the money. My budget runs from 700 to 1300-ish. Whats the best 72 Thinline out there... new or used. Thanks!

2. PaisleyRocks

PaisleyRocks Tele-Holic

The MIM 72 Thinline RI is excellent. I know some people aren't fans of the pickups, but I think they're great. Try one out, form your own opinions.

3. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm loving my MIM 72RI. Try a couple. Mine is particularly resonant and light, but some are not

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

The best thing would be a real USA made Thinline from that 1971-75 time frame.

The original Seth Lover designed pickups are really nice. Any japanese or mexican reissue will have similar looking but fairly different pickups.

I don't know how hard it is for you to have a guitar imported. What if you just persuade a Fender dealer in Santo Domingo to order a new MIM '72 Thinline?

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

Last week, The Winter Park Guitar Center (Orlando area) had a MIM 72 Thinline Tele in great used shape, natural finish and of medium weight, for $ 549.00

7. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Me too, MIM is great.

[​IMG]

8. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's

There's nothing wrong with any of the MIM Classics series of Teles...particularly the '72 Thinline. They're great.

There's some people that paint all MIM's with some broad stroke that they're not well made. It's ridiculous.

9. ole AZ

ole AZ Banned

I've loved every MIM I have ever had. Never have had a thinline, but the MIMs in general are quality instruments.

10. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

OK, I'm going to be the voice in the wilderness....

For me, the best 72 Thinline RI is the Crafted in Japan (CIJ) version.

[​IMG]

Has a better neck than the MIM version, in my opinion.

Beautifully made and sounds great. ;)

11. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

My "Special Edition" 2 tone with creme pick-guard. Bought it last December, still can't put it down!

[​IMG]

12. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

That's very nice. I like the 2 tone burst. Never seen that before on that model.

13. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

I have to agree. I tried many new MIMs and liked them but I've always loved my MIJ and CIJs. I waited and was able to get this 1998 CIJ '72 thinline used for about the same price as a new MIM at the time. The neck is my favorite part too, and not only does it play great, the Japanese wide range humbuckers sound pretty good in my opinion too. This is it in the middle, the '72 Custom is also a CIJ and the '72 Deluxe is a MIM...

[​IMG]

14. Ns10Fan

Ns10Fan Tele-Meister

Get a used MIM (they're on craigslist all day long for like 450-550 with a case! Get em now before the used prices reflect fender's current hike!) Might have to talk someone into shipping it, but worth it! When you get it, spend another $200, and get some custom pickups made by Pete at Vintage Vibe Guitars, (or if you can spend a little more, talk to Telenator...you'll have that authentic WRHB tone if it's what you're looking for...or you could go the rewind route.)

Depending on which pickup scenario you've chosen above, for around $750-950, you're well under budget, and the guitar you have smokes. And then you can find a used 69 thinline and start a collection with the leftover cash.

15. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. I believe it was a special run for GC. Not sure if they are still made or not.

16. BrandonZ

BrandonZ TDPRI Member

I played one yesterday in a Guitar Center. I had never seen one either. I would have bought it but the bridge wasnt lined up straight. It made the high E way to close to the edge of the neck. Im glad I saw it when I did because I was about to walk up to the counter just when I did. :mad:

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

I've seen a lot of them like that - only, I think the pickguard is on there cockeyed, actually. The pole pieces don't seem to align with the saddles, or it could be the bridge but the reference holes for the bridge are determined by CNC. The one I recommended in natural in Winter Park is like that some, the sunburst is not. I saw another one over this way since then that is way way off.

18. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

never mind

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  19. podboy3

podboy3 Tele-Holic

I have my MIM 72 Thinline and I think I might be in the minority when I say that I like the neck way more then my MIJ 72 Thinline.... Of course knowing what I do now compared to the 8 to 10 years ago that I had my MIJ I would really like to give it another shot and see if it was the set up.

20. theraygun

theraygun Tele-Meister

You could always put one together using a Warmoth body. Then you could pick your color and pickups.

21. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Could have just been the saddle adjustment for the High E. I know on mine there are 2 Allen set screws for each string. A very small adjustment drastically changes the position of the string on the fret board...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.