What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Got the beauty shots done of the Craig County guitar.

The wood is old flooring from an office building in Vinita, Oklahoma. It's laid out at 43° because that's how the town is laid out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The knobs are from an old movie projector from an old theater next door to the office building where I got the wood from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The I.T stands for Indian Territory which is what Oklahoma was known as when Vinita became a town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nickhofen, ejphotos, Jupiter and 23 others like this.
  2. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

A 1962 Smith Corona Galaxy portable typewriter.

3. brandonh

brandonh TDPRI Member

This one is not a guitar project, but it is music related. I finally got around to building a shelf for my stereo equipment. I got done with the assembly stage last night.

Stereo-1.jpg
    I hope I can have it sanded and lay on the first coats of finish this weekend. Top shelf is for LP player, receiver next, CD player, and an open shelf for recently played records.

Stereo-2.jpg
    Every good project needs a good sandwich to get things going. “Gimme a half Super Italian, all the way, to go. I’ll also take a half a pickle for my little girl, please.”

Stereo-3.jpg
    Walnut, a mix of leftovers from a previous project (dining room table) and discounted boards from the sale pile at the lumberyard. All the lumber is 4/4 except the blue-painted piece at 8/4.

Stereo-4.jpg
    First I cut out the legs from the 8/4 board, which was roughly 5.5-in wide. I wanted to maximize the board and minimize the kerf waste, so I used my Japanese saw. The heat is already hot down here—it took about 90 minutes for 3 cuts and water breaks.

Stereo-5.jpg
    Next I flattened the 4/4 boards using planes and jointed the edges on the router table. I glued up 4 shelves at 20—in wide by 16 deep.

Stereo-6.jpg
    After the shelves dried, I made an MDF template for the final shaping. There’s a gentle curve on the front of the shelf that matches the dining room table I made a few years ago.

Stereo-7.jpg
    Usually for a fixed shelf I’d do dadoes, but I wanted to try something new with this project, so I opted for dowels. This is only going to hold stereo equipment, so I wasn’t too worried about weight. I used the cheap Harbor Freight dowel centering tool. It wasn’t great but wasn’t horrible, either. It was awfully fiddly transferring dowel holes to their mating pieces. I’ll probably stick with traditional joinery.

Stereo-8.jpg
    Legs, shelves, and rails dimensioned. I knocked down the hard edges with a 3/16-inch roundover bit.

Stereo-9.jpg
    This is a bad picture, but I used dowel centering points to mark where to drill for the rails, then went off to the drill press.

Stereo-10.jpg
    I used my granddad’s egg beater drill to put a counterbore on the holes. I read that this helps with glue-ups somehow, something about giving the glue a little room to spill out or suchlike.

Continued...

4. brandonh

brandonh TDPRI Member

Stereo-11.jpg
    My back legs are 90-degrees, and my front legs are angled 4 degrees off that. Granddad’s try square. Love using his tools.

Stereo-12.jpg
    I repeated the centering points and drilling for the front legs, only with a 4-degree tilt on the drill press table.

Stereo-13.jpg
    And glued the front legs into the back leg/side rail assembly.

Stereo-14.jpg
    I used dowels to glue a short, wide rail to the back of each shelf.

Stereo-15.jpg
    I went back and forth on the best way to attach the shelves to the legs. I decided to do the job one leg assembly at a time, rather than both at once.

Stereo-16.jpg
    My end goal with this picture was to get the dowel holes from the shelves transferred to the leg assembly. First, I needed to devise a way to keep my leg assembly in place. I drilled two boards to my bench top to act as a cleat to hold the side and top of the leg assembly square. The free leg assembly went into this cleat. Then I laid the shelves down and squared them up. I put a cleat down at each shelf (these are the scrap boards that are parallel to the bench top). Then I clamped the four stakes to act as alignment guides for the back of the shelves to meet the back of the leg assembly.

Stereo-17.jpg
    I flipped everything over, squared up the shelves to the leg assemblies, put the dowel centers on, aligned the shelves with the cleats, carefully placed the leg assembly in position, and gave a few good whacks with a rubber mallet to punch the dowel centers home. I went down the piece doing one shelf at a time this way. After all the dowel centers were marked, I took the leg assembly to the drill press. I added the countersink by hand as before.

Stereo-18.jpg
    Glue up stage. I had enough clamps!

Stereo-19.jpg
    In place. The shelf is level, but the tile floor isn’t. I need to think about my options. I’ll probably just put a shim in and forget about it.

Stereo-20.jpg
    Thanks for looking. Updates to follow.

5. brandonh

brandonh TDPRI Member

Very nice! This is a fantastic project. I love your concept for the series.

RogerC likes this.
  6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Love me some walnut! Nice work.

brandonh likes this.
  7. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Just finished all the setup on my oldest son' Partscaster.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

nickhofen, tone57, Barncaster and 2 others like this.
  8. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    added a blackface tone stack with treb mid bass and 68k tone slope resistor. also the blackface style negative feedback loop and 4.5k, 10k power filter dropping resistors

9. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

The start of Build No.2!!! :D:D:D
    IMG_20190610_115845.jpeg IMG_20190610_150851.jpeg

Telemarx and Jake Nelson like this.
  10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

11. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Let’s hear it Rog! She looks spectacular!

RogerC likes this.
  12. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, Rob! She did sound pretty awesome, but unfortunately I don't think I'll get the chance for any recordings.

13. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

IMG_2888.JPG
    I tried to find that chip on the right of the mousehole but it got away from me. Otherwise all the material routed easily. I feel like a cub scout who was given a guitar-maker's materials to build a birdhouse. I feel guilty. But here is the finished cab. The figure on the front has really pretty movement.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  14. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Very nice!!

How are you enjoying/learning the CNC??

15. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

A few years back, I built an electric guitar for my nephew for his college graduation. His brother has just graduated, now he does not play guitar, but loves to play the ukulele! So my brother hinted that would be a great gift... of course he only mentioned this last week and the graduation is on June 22nd!! So there is no way this will be finished before then.. too much stuff going on this month.

Since I have never built an acoustic instrument before, I purchased a kit from StewMac while they were on sale. This one is a walnut with a spruce top. Should be a real challenge!

Of course it will need some custom touches, even if they are pretty small... maybe his initials in mother of pearl on the headstock?? Obviously I could just put one of my decals on the headstock since the name is the same!!

Any other customization suggestions??

Her's a quick look at the tenor kit that just arrived.

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

The long wire thing are the frets!!

16. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister

Yesterday, I got the fretboard glued up on the neck of my first build and also cut a "paint stick" to assist with the coming finishing process for the solid body for the same build. Today, I cut another body, but for a Thinline inspired version and met with a client for some CNC work he needs done for a project.

John Nicholas likes this.
  17. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

When I saw the pics of this build in its early stages, I must admit, I thought it was a bit odd. Seeing the finished product, I am floored, pun intended. Excellent work !! I'd be very happy to play/own that one !!

RogerC likes this.
  18. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

I've been working on a new acoustic. Trying out some new tricks with an interior lining. I always loved what Lame Horse does with their sides, so I guess this is an homage. Although I doubt they're using high grade wrapping paper...

IMG_2493.jpeg IMG_2495.jpeg IMG_2505.jpeg IMG_2512.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

...Initials in MOP for the headstock... I am ready when you are... :)

John Nicholas likes this.
  20. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

hey, paper is wood too right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.