What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'm between guitar projects and wanted to make a sign for the end of our driveway at the cottage, so I quickly routed this out... freehand... while holding a small flashlight in my mouth so I could see what I was doing. I'm pretty ok with it, except for the "A" which is a bit mutant.

20190414_125526.jpg

2. Mr_Q

Mr_Q TDPRI Member

I think the bulk of the belly bridge is needed for balance. The proportions work well. But the instrument is so beautiful that it's a small thing.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

3. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Quick simple, but much needed project. I’m not much of a woodworker but I have fun.

I live with a mob, family mob; wife, daughter, son in law, 2 young granddaughters, 1 cat and 2 1/2 dogs. My music space is limited and I need a way to have 2 or 3 guitars out at a time without them being in a traffic way. I have about 20” width to work with, the area where my Tele is sitting. So, I’m making a simple 3 guitar stand based of a couple pics I found on line. The guitars won’t live there in front of the window, they will just be there when I’m playing...I like to have two or three out at a time.

27BDE855-1A80-4675-8339-AF1112785578.jpeg

It is getting closer to being a stand

BBBD8A9D-F4F5-4745-87C2-F3804CB0854B.jpeg

Clamped together for a test fit

B768523B-2300-49C7-918B-B3CD098B4726.jpeg

Test cut for the guitar neck cuts on the top piece

46D494DB-5C7D-4341-8502-9491A0E49194.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    nickhofen, Barncaster and tone57 like this.
  4. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Routing the edge and smoothing the edges on a crotch walnut ambrosia maple chambered tele. Run up to 120 grit with sander and wipe a little naphtha on to check out some color potential. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

WOW!

crazydave911 and eallen like this.
  6. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

What Barncaster said,

Seriously beautiful wood.
    just fantastic looking.

crazydave911 and eallen like this.
  7. mrz80

mrz80 Tele-Meister

I decided I didn't like the plastic cherry finish on the surplus Epi neck earmarked for my plywood Les Paul project. So Harbor Freight to the rescue! Between the cheap heat gun and the good, thin putty knife, things went pretty quickly. Only burned a finger once. :p
    [​IMG]

Now to reshape the headstock to eliminate the Epiphone-ness. :rolleyes:

eallen and Barncaster like this.
  8. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Got my oldest son's Strat Partscaster together last evening.

Used Mighty Mite alder body, used Birdseye Warmoth 10-16 compound neck. New Rainville Strat vintage style pickups.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Buzzing once in a while. Needs a new nut.

mrz80, Zepfan, Macrogats and 6 others like this.
  9. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

This one is leaving tomorrow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll spare y'all the details but it was a long and arduous process, including a pretty bad router accident, endless pondering about the pickguard and finish, and (too) many hours of metalwork.

It turned out a bit on the heavy side, what with all that stainless steel, but it's not too bad and doesn't neck dive. The pickups are tweaked P90-styles without baseplates, both in A5. It sounds surprisingly different from my previous build, which pretty much uses the same components - I suspect the cavities I routed out for weight relief play a part in that. And as usual, the Staytrem unit works a treat.

nnieman, TreblaNitram, Zepfan and 5 others like this.
  10. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

----------------

Very Cool, and i like that you used Y'all!
    Tone

11. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

[​IMG][​IMG]
    painting the corner of a room so i have a place to record my guitar playing videos. been researching lights, etc. just to throw something together cheap but decent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    thinking about who i'm gonna get to saw the top off this 1-piece walnut body so i can weight relief before gluing back together and (hopefully) hide the cut line with binding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

No guitars currently. I'm busy overhauling a motorcycle for a friend. It belonged to her dad before he lost his battle with cancer. The plan is to make sure it looks great and runs perfectly, then sell it and donate the money to the hospice where he spent his last days.

IMG_20190410_190628.jpg IMG_20190410_190739.jpg IMG_20190410_190801.jpg IMG_20190414_151636.jpg

SacDAve, RogerC, brandonh and 2 others like this.
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I cleaned up my DeArmond Bluesbird and found that the Rosewood fretboard was very dry. I've applied Lemon Juice to it several times. I think this guitar was left sitting out unplayed for a long time.

I also started taking the Johnson Strat clone apart and cleaning it up. The fretboard looked like the guitar was owned by a mechanic and hadn't cleaned the guitar in 5 years or more.

15. brandonh

brandonh TDPRI Member

Hey @mrz80, what's the name of your place in Tampa, if you don't mind sharing? There's not much selection down here in the Ft. Myers area. Thanks!

16. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

2 1/2 dogs???

Nathan

17. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Do you have grown children with dogs? I do, so, every day my youngest daughter’s dog is dropped off In the am and picked up in the pm as she goes to work. And........Like right now, Friday night, her dog is here until Sunday night because she has gone out of town with her boyfriend. Being a parent never ends.

nnieman likes this.
  18. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

For a variety of reasons we decided to go with the pyramid bridge on the OM. For one, it had slightly wider pin spacing and that fit my fretboard width better. Anyway, once that was decided I did about a hundred measurements, marked lines on tape, measured again

IMG_5211.JPG

Once I was totally happy the footprint was taped off, the top of the guitar protected and the finish removed under the bridge (and a small area under the neck extension)

IMG_5213.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

Cut a small relief at the edge of the bridge to sit on the finish and got the clamping caul all ready. Drilled holes thru two pins holes to locate it.

IMG_5215.JPG

Smeared some glue on and clamped it in place

IMG_5216.JPG

Cleaned up the mess and opened a cold beverage

nosmo, tone57, Moodivarius and 2 others like this.
  19. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

Gotcha!
    No grown kids, mine are young.
    Just kids, dogs, chickens and ducks... it’s like a weird petting zoo around here.

Nathan

rad1 likes this.
  20. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Got a batch of guitar hangers done. They are a royal pain. I can build a guitar in the time it takes for a dozen. The pads are a thick soft leather suede supplied by a leather craftsman friend.

The head has a 15 degree up angle to hold the head in place. Why in the world all the pic loaded rotated I have no idea!

On to a little contour work on a walnut top maple build[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.