What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

The veneer glue up came out ok, so I was able to jigsaw the new top. Now to sort out neck pocket and figure out how I’m going to match up the pup cavity.

C97DFA7B-A29B-44AE-A74D-312DBE6ED94F.jpeg

2. ramonet

ramonet Tele-Meister

My take ona a "really deep set neck" (actually it's almost a neck thru). Wenge and maple neck, and goes with a zebrawood top. superstrat.jpg

3. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

It’s about five years since I built my first Telecaster. Since then I’ve been experimenting with design “improvements. This time I went headless ... and it no longer looks anything like a Tele.

[​IMG]

Cedar body with walnut veneer top and black binding. 24 fret neck is rosewood on three piece maple, and has a zero fret instead of a nut. The tuner unit is made using the knurled screws and top casing of an Overlord tuner, screwed to a simple baseplate. The bridge pickup is Oil City Wapping Wharf which is tapped halfway through the coil to give both 50s and 60s sounds from one pickup. The neck pickup is a Firebird narrow humbucker. Other hardware includes a top loading bridge, a five way switch, and a curved neck plate.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have you considered a vacuum clamping method?
    I’ve done it laminating veneer on a canoe, and for a body you could probably use one of those sweater storage bags and hook it to a house vac or shop vac. Surprisingly strong, easy, and even pressure. Really only good for veneer though I’d guess.
    Interesting rebuild you’re doing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macrogats likes this.
  5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

tried out my new foam polishing pad today.... :)

Oooo... shinier than hand polish.... seems to be relatively swirl free with the foam and some turtle polish cream fine... I only sanded to 2000... i'll get some swirl remover next time I'm at the auto store to see what it does.....

sweet..:)...

now for a bath...:D

Attached Files:

eallen and Barncaster like this.
  6. Macrogats

Hmmm.... that could well be worth considering. I’ve got two more veneers to do at some stage. Difficult ones too that requires joining in the centre. I’ve got heaps of old house vacs and a shop vac, so could do some experimenting.

Many thanks for the suggestion. :)

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. Macrogats

Double post *doh*

8. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

It's getting dark outside.... but not inside my shop!!! Spent the weekend finally getting power to the shop, installing lights, and finally putting in some shelves all the way around the inside! Still needs to be organized, but I can finally walk around in there and more importantly, I have lights!!!

I have a wall mounted dust collector I need to put in, and then I should be all set for a while.

ss4.jpg

9. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Totally jealous!

10. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

It's not much, but it's home :)

It can be difficult to move around in at times, but I've made the most of it. Speaking of making the most of it, it's quite a bit longer than it is wide. This was to keep the HOA off my back. I'm right at double the maximum size allowed. You can't see if from the street, but if anyone ever peeked over the fence, they'd only see the front and not be able to tell how deep it is.

After six months of struggling with unclear answers from the HOA, failure to respond to my questions, and way too much red tape, I just went for it. It's been a year, and so far so good.

telemnemonics, Macrogats and CraigB like this.
  11. trev333

pickguard shaping today..... a slightly different shape to the lefty above due to a different pu and the freehand shaping of this body, I think I made the upper horn a bit longer to move the balance point a bit further toward the neck...and I move the butt of the neck in a 1/2" and the bridge moved back the same..... just trying to adjust for neck dive and easier reach.... :)

I might wire this up without a tone knob to see how it goes.... I never seem to use it on a bass.

it's windy today, I could open all the doors to the ROSS area to let all the dust blow away....;)

DSCN1970.JPG

DSCN1969.JPG

12. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That looks pretty good Trev!!! Actually I quite like the colour match of the body and template in the pix......good combination!

DC

CraigB likes this.
  13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I had to move the OM to the back burner and work on a couple of other things. A fellow luthier needed some measurements off my 1932 Dobro and a friend wants me to route his Jagstang projects for Kahlers

IMG_4985.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

nickhofen likes this.
  14. Freeman Keller

The Dobro is kind of interesting and there might be few folks here who have never seen the inside, so I thought I would post a couple of pictures. This is a 1932 Style 27, which was Dobro's cheapest model. It is birch plywood with a round mahogany neck, I play it both Spanish style (like a normal guitar, fretted and with a slide) and lap style with a high nut extender and a "steel" or bar. There are three type of cones used in resonator guitars (I have all three) - this is a "spider bridge" model. Spiders are almost always wood bodied and have that long sweet sustaining sound that you associate with Jerry Douglas, Cindy Cashdollar, Josh Graves.

A luthier friend is wanting to build a spider and asked me to take some measurements off of mine. I thought while it was open I'd post a couple of pictures.

Here is the spider, cone and tailpiece. The strings vibrate the spider assembly with is connected to the cone via a little screw in the middle. The spider absorbs most of the static down force of fairly heavy string and somewhat stout tunings (GBDGbd is common, the bottom two strings are tuned up from concert)

If any of you have followed any of my other threads you know how anal I am about geometry. This is no different, one of the things my friend wanted to know is what was the neck angle and saddle break over angle. The action on a resonator is actually set by changing the neck angle (its a pain compared to setting a tele)

IMG_4990.JPG

A round neck resonator can be played in either Spanish or lap style (a square neck is strictly lap) - I have a "nut extender" (I'm sure there will be a bad joke made here) to give me uniformly 0.250 action from nut to the end of the neck. This has to be played with a steel bar. By just loosening the strings the extender can be removed and the action drops to a sweet and manageable fingerstyle height.

IMG_4992.JPG

I love resonators and can talk about (and play) them all day. However this was what was on my workbench today so I thought I would share.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  15. Macrogats

Yesterday - I just had to tweak the bridge on my latest Strat build. Forgot it was string thru, but worked out ok. Loosened strings, raised the bridge, drilled out the holes, dowel filled, then reset. Perfect...!!

1BA3E19D-993A-46DA-9E1D-EB611C62EF3F.jpeg

A9627817-18BB-4812-AEDF-C07FF4D434DE.jpeg

Today was a bit more work on my RT Model 1 cap. Drilled thru and cut out for new control area, routed a pup wire channel, general tidy up, then the big clamp up. Gotta head down soon and adjust some of that to get more even pressure on the edges and clean up glue squeeze out. Fingers crossed she comes out with minimal filling required between the joins!

EBC8ED81-EC8A-4ACB-80F4-5CC9273E6CE5.jpeg

3B04858C-F4E1-44C6-B366-1CD2FCE5177A.jpeg

Barncaster, Zepfan and CraigB like this.
  16. trev333

It's Alive!...I put the tele bass together today and wired it up, I've got a guard cut to fit, a clear one as a test shape before I make either a white or black guard for it.... left the tone pot off for now.. and waiting on a string tree to come...

looks pretty minimalist right now, sounds/feels good..:)

tele bass day 1 body.jpg

tele bass day1.jpg

17. trev333

I finished this one, too....it's been sitting here a while, I put a new set of xl110's on it last night....

I was given a bare squier to populate....the two point trem was an odd size, I had to search for one to fit..... the young guy phoned last night to see how it was going... i've had it here for months.... I gave him a 2004 US Strat for a lend.....

I'm sure he wasn't in too great a hurry to get the squier back...:lol:

neck is flat, action is low with no rattles.... he should like it...:cool:

before/after...

squier  J.jpg

squier together.JPG

CraigB and Barncaster like this.
  18. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Finish it, took a while!
    First Jagstang I build.
    51978477_251736229098616_4280646251537498112_n.jpg 51708278_2221442934790915_2943504335360753664_n.jpg 52326933_2362716843741485_1001672573420830720_n.jpg

19. Freeman Keller

Seems to be a bit of Jagstang action going on. I got the dobro of my bench and need to route a coupe of 'stangs today.

nickhofen and CraigB like this.
  20. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

nickhofen likes this.
  21. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Aside from set-up, this is pretty much done...

zzz20190216_145146.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.