Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2017
    Lyon, France
    Check out model building shops - some of them carry all sorts of American products, and I've had a few shop owners tell me they had luthiers coming in all the time because a lot of their products are used in both fields. Some of them even carry plastic sheets that can be used as pickguard material.

Itchyfeet1000 likes this.
  2. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

May 9, 2018
    Plymouth, England
    Excellent advice. There are a couple of great model shops here so I'll pay them a visit.

3. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I followed Freemans suggestion - I did it as a pore filler on poplar. I'm glad I did, it feels nice and solid and even though it will get a solid finish it looks good.

Zpoxy is available on eBay - it's about £17 I think. Note that you need to get the finishing resin, not the standard 30 minute epoxy. I purchased the latter and it stayed ever so slightly tacky for a week after.

Glad to hear your bandsaw is working out well!

EDIT:

Here you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZAP-Z-Po...h=item2398a3062e:g:GE8AAOSwydRbiCi6:rk:3:pf:0

nickhofen and Itchyfeet1000 like this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    Mat, I am so glad that it worked for you. I'm always apprehensive when I give advice - I try to phrase it as "this worked for me", not "this is the way you should do it". There are many many ways to accomplish the things that we do, I've bumbled along and made some mistakes and learned a few things. If I can help someone else, that pleases me.

I fail to remember that so many of you are in different parts of the world, have different products available (or not), measure in different ways and even use different terminology. I try to include pictures when I think they will be helpful, and I'm always interested in feedback - it it works or doesn't work for you I would like to know it.

And yes, its the finishing resin. I bought mine from LMII a long time ago, its probably done 10 guitars by now and there is half a bottle left. Robbie O'Brien is on the staff at LMII - if you haven't watched his videos I highly recommend them.

Itchy and Mat both, I'm looking forward to seeing how your guitars turn out.

Mat UK likes this.
  5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    My penpal lathe pickup winder project:

pp8.jpg

pp7.jpg

eallen, nickhofen, RogerC and 2 others like this.
  6. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Today's job is to fill up my hat tree again :D

2018Snowmen.jpg

7. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    The body is sat patiently waiting for winter to pass before it gets its final finish - I’m itching to get on with it.

I’m sure there is a sensible equivalent to Zpoxy here in the UK - but with the number of recommendations posted on these pages, it felt sensible to go with the tried and tested Zpoxy (even though I got the wrong one!)

I ended up doing 4 coats of epoxy in the end - excessive, but it was part of the learning curve.

I began with a diluted wash coat and some full strength epoxy for a couple of dings and knots - this was easy enough and sanded back well.

I then decided I should go full strength for the second coat - this was pretty messy and tricky to control the excess (due to adding to much), I had some drips and lips to contend with when sanding... will those horns ever get any easier! Sanding the epoxy back was time consuming and ended up patchy unfortunately.

I then decided to proceed with 2 more thinned coats; This worked very well and sanded easily leaving a smooth consistent finish.

I’m the future, I think I will opt for built thinned coats...

The one thing to add - due to me purchasing standard 30min Zpoxy instead of the finishing resin - the finish felt tacky for some time after. Sanding produced a combination of dust and gum balling - I assume it wasn’t fully cured... am I to assume this wouldn’t happen with the finishing resin?

Thanks again Freeman for the direction

8. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Just an FYI, Poplar is a very tight grained wood similar to maple that generally doesn't need pore filler. It isn't porous like mahogany, walnut, or ash. YMMV

eallen and Mat UK like this.
  9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Ok not a tele. But I thought y’all might appreciate this. Found this at a local vintage/pawn shop. 1959 Stromberg-Carlson MC41. Also known as the Elvis Mic. It’s a rebranded Shure 55s.

The rubber mounts were all disintegrated, and the old amphenol connector had been cut out and a unshielded cable with 1/4 inch plug taped in its place. I duct taped some foam for mounts, and wired in an XLR connector. It works and sounds ok, but very low output.

Makes me look cool, though.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ah, I guess not - but I don't mind, it's given me a good smooth and hard foundation for my next steps... and good practise for the inevitable next guitars. Thanks for the info

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    I use the Zpoxy both for its pore filling and because it highlights grain on highly figured wood. When I did the chambered tele I experimented on some off cuts of the top and head veneer, liked the epoxy the best. Lots of ways to do this, just passing along what I have learned

IMG_4703.JPG

bullfrogblues and DrASATele like this.
  12. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I cleaned up my garage/work area and found a bunch of guitar parts I have been accumulating for several years. I will be using only the parts I already had, no new parts, if possible.

I have a very nice MIM strat neck, and an alder strat body that I started from scratch several years ago.

This will be my version of a strat with swimming pool routing to keep my options open later on, a hardtail bridge and deep strat contours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using a 20 degree angle jig and bandsaw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    eallen and RogerC like this.
  13. oceanblue

oceanblue TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Florida
    Well I do have a roasted swamp ash, clear satin, and a roasted maple neck/fretboard on the way...another 5-6 weeks they say....also ordered a Wikinson bridge and saddles that should be here next week.
    Shopping PU’s now leaning towards Fender vintage reissues, but I seem to change my mind about every hour or two LOL

14. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    I bought this JessEm router lift back in March when Woodcraft had them on sale, finally got around to installing it in a Melamine extension I built for my table saw. Always wanted a router table, but just didn't like using up more floor space. This way, it's there when I need it but out of the way otherwise. Probably going to add a fence for it later.

[​IMG]

John Nicholas, LeftFinger and CraigB like this.
  15. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Doing another fabric topped guitar...this one is going to be a bridge pickup only machine...can't wait to trim off the excess!

Mason Esquire Fab.jpg

Macrogats, Barncaster, 2blue2 and 3 others like this.
  16. gigante

gigante TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Kansas City
    Looks great. I've been wanting to do one. Do you have a thread detailing your process? Or just what you use to seal?

17. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Thank you! I don't have a thread or details...I dug around youtube to get some ideas...for this one I am trying a two part epoxy resin...the last one I used Mod Podge. Thinking the epoxy is the way to go.

18. gigante

gigante TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Kansas City
    I'll be watching how it goes I've watched the Texas Toast guy's video a bunch of times but I'd like to do it without spraying something like the simtech sealer

19. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Getting some walnut from the family farm ready. It has been stacked and staked for about 8 months air drying. After acclimating to the shop and checked for moisture it is over to the planer.

2 crouched walnut blanks with a small spalted corner on one for a tele or thinline. They started at 4/4 but all the grain intersections during air drying lands it down to about 1/2" once all the warping is planed out. They required some real setup leveling on a sled to get a flat side to work from.

Some 4/4+ for 1 or 2 piece necks and some wide stock for book matched tops.

Attached Files:

20. oceanblue

oceanblue TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Florida
    Yea I use the Brave browser on iOS, blocks ads, works well

John Nicholas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.