Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Always jealous of the skills some of you guys have. I stripped the thick poly off my 60s Classic rosewood Tele yesterday with a blow dryer and my fingernails without damaging the veneer so I'm pretty happy about that. This is after some naphtha and lemon oil. I'm going to reassemble it and play it as is for now.

[​IMG]

2. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 28, 2017
    Quantum Entanglement
    Just finished building a sled for the stewmac fret slotting blade. Coughed up the dough-re-mi for the 25.5 / 25 stainless template too. Custom Fretboard time! IMG_1623.JPG

devrock likes this.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Cool tool!

How much did it cost to ship that hot water heater from Stew Mac all the way to Australia?

magic smoke and trev333 like this.

4. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I bought a body from surf leaf at auction and have just sanded and put first coats of Watco on it.
    It was a good price and a nice single piece of alder, wasn’t sure about the shape but I like it now.
    Might rout it for a Jazzmaster bridge pickup but want to see how it all lines up with assembly.

Image1538603110.152013.jpg

fidopunk likes this.

5. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Figured I better make some sawdust, I want to play this thing now!
    Vberg2.jpg Vberg3.jpg

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ooooo..:).. NBND... new bass neck day....:D

My next project is going to be a Lefty Tele bass for the son of an old mate... the kid's a great guitar player and student sound engineer....

He was over here jamming with my Tele Bass upside down and thought it would be cool to have a lefty bass....

Sure, I'll make you one.....:D

the parts trickle in... Kmise neck 42 bucks, here in under a week.... caught me by surprise to see a thin carton leaning against my mail box yesterday....o_O

J neck1.jpg

J neck2.jpg

J neck3.jpg

7. trev333

So, within the hour I had it looking like a tele......:D

some pencil work, a trip to my band saw and ROSS, some hand sanding to smooth it over.... done...:cool:

now to dig through the wood stack for a suitable body.....

J neck4.jpg

J neck8.jpg

J neck5.jpg

J neck7.jpg

8. trev333

this slab of Silky Oak/Grevillia Robusta maybe?..... I need to take 1/2" off the thickness, though....o_O

I don't want to waste it by turning it into sawdust with a router sled.... I'd rather take a slice off the top to keep for a drop top.... somehow?...:rolleyes:

not sure who would has a big throat band saw or similar to slice it off... or a good table saw to put a cut each side and hand saw the rest.... mmm...:(

J bass body2.jpg

J bass body1.jpg

J bass body 3.jpg

Barncaster, Mat UK and TreblaNitram like this.

9. trev333

I also put some parts on a bare squier strat that a young bloke dropped off. I did a fret job, then sanded some marks off the back of the neck and polished a few coats of D/Oil on to seal it, swapped over a loaded guard off another project to see how it sounds... just waiting for a bridge in the mail to do some more....

good to get my hands on some guitar parts this week, I haven't done much for a while......:)

squier  J.jpg Squier strat tele nack...jpg

10. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Building an enclosure for this head at the moment. This little beast has derailed all my other projects for now.

WP_20181005_11_58_16_Pro.jpg

Jake Nelson and Barncaster like this.

11. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Took apart a Strat I routed for JM pups a year or so ago which I had drilled a blank JM cover to Tele bridge pup magnet spacing, but now I want that particular Tele bridge pup for the semi offset surf leaf body, and I have yet another set of JM pups that haven’t been tried yet.
    Image1538755247.465285.jpg

At the same time I wanted to file down the top of the bridge plate I made for this one piece alder hardtail Strat, because I left it very high as wasn’t sure how it was going to work, I’d cheated the string through holes and intonation screw holes in a little narrower to get the strings further in from the edges of the neck. It lined up well but it’s been a tall clunky bridge plate for a year. I also raised the intonation screw holes so the screws would be more level and easier to got a screwdriver into.
    Image1538755622.631444.jpg Image1538755646.486967.jpg

But once I tried to put it back together with the actual Jazzmaster pickup in a correct JM cover, I found the JM cover rout I’d put in the guard a year ago was too small for correct covers, so I had to hand file the opening bigger. I could squeeze a cover in but it was pinched and would not height adjust well. Typical parts PITA!
    Image1538755868.349994.jpg

Finally went together fine at 2am!
    Image1538755973.267112.jpg Image1538755997.394833.jpg

I had also made the plate too big on the low E side and a bit crooked so filed the side and front a bit to make it look like a better fit.
    Image1538756102.889829.jpg

Just need to do something about that funny pickup shaped hole in the middle!

12. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    Clint Walker likes this.

13. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Just posting a short vid of the latest off the bench, featuring a Barncaster bridge pickup, which I am REALLY happy with. After asking what I was looking for, Rob wound me up something “clean and hot”. And twangy! This is the bridge direct into my homemade tweed Champ with a 12” Hellatone. My brother is playin’.
    Thanks Rob!!!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018

14. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    i used my defunct clothes dryer drum. inside and outside, depending what u need. i think it was about 12"-15" radius. something like that. its been awhile. couldn't get it to sand while running though. well, i could have, but mire hassle than i currently need : )

trev333 likes this.

15. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    like the strobetuner. had one just like it. also had the brown one that came before it. normally only used in marching/concert bands in my neck o the woods. and lucky i worked in a music store. those babies were $1,000 plus. now they are free on your phone. go figure : /

telemnemonics likes this.

16. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I was thinking the other day "I wonder what Rick is up to".

Here's what I'm working on today. Strings 1/2" above the fretboard. Probably gonna need a different bridge and some shims under the neck. It also needs a spring and arm for the trem. I have a spring, not sure what to do about the arm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

R. Stratenstein and Zepfan like this.

17. tele_savales

tele_savales TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    My blonde MIJ 90's tele is recovering from having her nut removed and replaced. First time fitting a nut I WON'T post pictures of it. Let's just say I'm getting another nut and starting over. It's way to easy to go overboard on tusq material- really soft.

I mean, it plays... and it sounds better and the high E ain't buzzing anymore. I know I can do a better job than what I did.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    telemnemonics likes this.

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Cool. Yeah, Rob is the real deal!

Meteorman likes this.

19. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Hey, Erik, how ya been? I love that beautiful green baby. How'd she get her strings so bollocked-up? At least with a bolt-on neck, shims would be possible, but personally, I'd prefer to attack the bridge, although a lot more work. Are the nut slot depths OK, any room for lowering them? Lots of Bigsby handles of all kinds on line that look like they'd fit that whammy unit, some cheap, some right pricey. Is there anything about that trem unit that would prevent a Bigsby or clone from working on it?

20. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

LOL, I admire your honesty. It is easy to get a little too enthusiastic with the files, no matter how hard or soft the nut material is. I will admit I buy my nut blanks in 3's, I think that's Stew Mac's price break point, but since you started the honesty, I will say I don't have a whole lot of extra, left-over nut blanks, so it's not just the price I have to buy multiples for! :eek::lol::lol:. For me, if there is even a slightest bit of time pressure, or potentially any inducement to rush the job, I've learned to just not start the job. It is, for me, tedious, and very time consuming, but it takes what it takes, shortcuts and rushing will only bring grief.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.