What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

Still awaiting the fretboard but the baritone ukulele is ready for paint prep now. Finished profiling the neck tonight and did a final test assembly.

Loving the grain of this maple. It's stunning.

IMG_20180925_184751_509.jpg IMG_20180925_223122.jpg IMG_20180925_225133_193.jpg IMG_20180925_225241_751.jpg

2. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Fantastic job.

4. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Just kept jamming and twisting 'til I could grab 'em with the needlenose!

[​IMG]

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Want a curved bottom nut when you only have a pack of flat bottoms.... not a problem...;)

my hot water tank just happens to have the curve I want.... not the first time either.....

to get the right top curve to match.. I have a few old wheel rims and garden pots that I measure the diameter to get the correct curve... hold sandpaper inside the curve and shape the top....

only takes a few minutes ... well, that's today's job done....:D

nut curve HW system.jpg
    nut curve fretboard.jpg

6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

20180925_222557.jpg cherry caster - blank underneath is the hand work started for the next one - same piece of wood that the body on top came from (ordered as a "table slab" for rustic furniture - which is something I don't care for, but much easier to get a giant slab that way - and cheaper - than to buy "guitar wood")

$200 for a dried slab that's 3 1/2 inches thick - should make three or four guitar bodies and five or six necks.

This is my second guitar, first one with binding. There are things that could be better on it, but that's easier to figure out after making the shortcomings than it is to predict exactly what they'll be and make the build agonizingly slow.

richa, OpenG Capo4, eallen and 11 others like this.
  7. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Holic

.... Dirty Buck.jpg

fidopunk, Barncaster, 2blue2 and 5 others like this.
  8. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister

IMG_1605.JPG
    New bone nut for a knockoff LP someone brought to me. I’m loving these new hosco files!

fidopunk, 2blue2, LeftFinger and 3 others like this.
  9. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

rubbed in a little ebony grain filler....I am loving the way this is turning out! I machined the bridge last night...it will get three compensated barrels...all the hardware will hit the secret sauce for some added character.
    Offset 4.jpg

10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

WHERE I BEEN

Iva had a few inquiries about my reduced presence here on the forum in the recent past, thanks for the concern, all is basically well. Some of what I’ve been doing is dealing with aftermath of Hurricane Irma, which came through Atlanta as a tropical storm last September, and seemed to be particularly destructive out here in the Eastern suburbs. By comparison, 60 MPH sustained winds doesn’t sound like much, but it was enough to destroy a major 2 vehicle shed, uproot a tree, which I unsuccessfully tried to pull upright with my tractor, and created a whole bunch of other mess I had to deal with.
    But the main time-suck has been a porch project I’ve been promising to do for Mrs. Stratenstein for years-no, make that decades. It started with a badly weathered column, desperately in need of painting. It’s the one in the center foreground.

4788E1F2-557C-4D3B-8584-789DB9BFCFC7.jpeg

I don’t have any “before” photos, this one is fairly recent. Here’s a mock-up shot of proposed job for the missus that shows as much of a before as I have:
    3C44C79A-3BB9-4475-9F1E-8229D04D1816.jpeg

Except for some columns that support the floor above, the sides were wide open, allowing rain, bugs, and whatever in, greatly reducing the utility of the porch.

Anyway, after mulling over the work it would take to just scrape, sand, reprime , and paint the damned columns, I figured I may as well jump into the enclosure job I’d been procrastinating for so long. A guy I had planned to hire to do most of the work fell through, and a good friend whom he and I swapped help on jobs like this in the past, committed suicide in February, so I’m doing the job alone, except for occasional help from my son to tip the bigger windows into place. I can barely manage the smaller ones myself, but not the bigger ones. They are all 6’ tall.

It took a hell of a lot of careful planning, replanning, and change of plans to come up with something the boss liked, involved not one, not two, but three-count ‘em- three different sizes of non-standard window widths to fit in the varying spaces I had to work with. For example, the windows in the photo above fit into a nominal 48” wide bay opening between the columns. However, due to carpentry skills I will not comment on here, and twisting of the columns due to weather exposure, the actual bay widths vary from slightly over 46” to 48.75”. So standard 24” width windows would work only in one of the 3 bays. So to make the windows look consistent across the whole wall, I had to order 23” custom built widths.

Those of you who do DIY home projects, major or minor, will recognize stuff like this as pretty normal, and you run into it constantly, often when you hadn’t thought of something, and it really slows you down. So mostly, that’s where I been lately. To wrap up an already too long and probably boring blather, here are some photos of the current status; 2 of the 3 walls rough-in including the exterior door are finished, but exterior siding and trim ( including the damn ratty column that started it all), plus all interior finish are yet to be done.:eek: Heaven only knows when I might get back to guitars !

2B26EE03-2173-498D-9BDA-6B0348002C51.jpeg
    4C4CC0D8-AC1C-42DB-8383-A2F0929CFA49.jpeg
    7CB8302A-EB39-4627-98A7-D192A9055363.jpeg

11. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

I’ve been working on a partscaster. I challenged myself to build a guitar strictly out of parts I already owned. I had a mustang body I’d previously spray painted, so I’m scraping all that off, and then I’m doweling the thimble holes and parts of the tremolo so I can use a toronado bridge I had floating around the parts bin. Throwing in some pickups I have and slapping a neck on there. I’m sure some of you are gonna think what I’m doing is unspeakable, but hey, whatever gets the job done!
    The last picture is what I’m planning on it looking like when it’s all said and done .
    56A1EBBA-4D96-4CE9-8DFA-AEE638498C0D.jpeg
    8A1AEBBF-D403-41B3-9A56-D7A9CECD78E6.jpeg
    4ADA1751-1ACF-4E56-ABF3-A5A0E811682A.jpeg F224C4AE-C2EB-460E-A982-7311365CF853.jpeg 2CB4D461-65DA-48D0-AFEA-8506ABF608F5.jpeg

12. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

Het Rick, that'll be a great shop when you're done!
    Cheers,
    Woody

13. R. Stratenstein

Thanks, Woody, it would indeed make a great shop, plenty of light to work by, but I suspect the missus has other plans for it.:p

14. maito

maito Tele-Meister

IMG_20180930_224601.jpg

New build, stratotone cutaway is too sharp to bend without heat as is dano u2 style so im taking the rounder route.
    Just dry fitting stuff before anything gets glued.

15. R. Stratenstein

Nice jig. :cool:

16. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Making my own body, this is my first time. Super nervous yet excited

4582FDA3-E9DF-43DC-A68F-671066BDCF13.jpeg

Jake Nelson, eallen, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  17. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

I haven't posted in a very long time, and I am getting back to building guitars again. That includes finishing unfinished projects and fixing issues in old builds. In this case this is the guitar I built in the last challenge I participated. I am fixing two issues that have bothered me for some time.

First, the neck's shape was too thick and massive like a baseball bat, making it hard to play for me. So i reduced the thickness by about 2-3 mm and reshaped the contour based on a Hamer Echotone guitar I like.

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.
  18. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

The other issue was that I didn't like the tele style bridge and the action was too high, so I changed the bridge to a wrap-around bridge and since the neck's angle was not enough to have a low action, the options were to remove the neck and fix the angle or recess the bridge, I decided to recess the bridge

[​IMG]

I am testing the fixes, but the playability improved considerably. next I need to re-finish the guitar or touch up some scratches

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Zepfan likes this.
  19. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

I was going to make myself a strat style bodied guitar with a reverse CBS headstock...Kinda "been there, done that" a couple times. I was working on another project and then it hit...what would the Vandenberg look like in a single cut/Tele style? So, I jump on to Fusion360, drew it up and cut out some 1/2" MDF...I had an old peavey neck laying around....I think it came off a "Mystic" ? anyway...flipped the headstock over, traced it on my fresh cut CBS reverse headstock blank...well...looks like I am making a Tele-berg?...hahaha
    Tele-Berg.jpg

20. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

Almost finished the Thinline Baritone UkuTele build. Electrics are installed and cosmetics are pretty much sorted.

The chinese fretboard arrived but I'm not happy with the quality so I've ordered what I need to make one instead.

IMG_20180929_234603_169.jpg IMG_20181002_004918_948.jpg IMG_20181002_004455_991.jpg IMG_20181002_003329_1.jpg IMG_20181002_163324.jpg

eallen and TreblaNitram like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.