Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

My last acoustic with the walnut fretboard held frets just fine. This is an interesting density chart. Look at walnut and maple

https://www.easycalculation.com/other/wood-density-chart.php

or

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    2blue2 and GunsOfBrixton like this.

2. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    I don't know to be honest... I guess it would be treated in some way, but I'll read up on pressure treated lumber. You think it's going to be no good? I'm not one to get into tonewood discussions much... at all.

Cheers,

Alberto

3. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2016
    Australia
    hey Alberto, its not that its not "tonewood"... its that the timber you are using looks like its been treated for outdoor use.This means it has been pressure treated with chemicals to make it weather resistant. You risk poisoning yourself when you cut it, and the chemicals are released into the air.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

4. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    Holy Crap! It’s a good thing you mentioned it. How many people have never considered that? I know I never have. Learn something new every day. Thank you.

Mase likes this.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

6. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    You know what, after my witty remark before I went and read about it a bit more, and stumbled upon exactly the same information you're giving me, for which I truly am grateful that you and guitarbuilder pointed it out.

I'm reconsidering if I will use that bit or not... on the one hand it's a shame to let it go, especially it looks and feels nice, on the other hand, I don't intend to risk me or my surroundings anymore than I really need to, what with tools rotating at thousands of RPM and fingers close by.

Thanks again for that information!

Cheers,

Alberto

Mase and Lake Placid Blue like this.

7. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    It's actually very hard to sell gear where I live (Texarkana). Everyone wants it but they are all broke (like me)

8. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    I have done about 4-5 walnut necks. None of them great cause I'm a noob. But one held frets fine. One didn't. The last two did but I made sure I used a very thin kerf saw and used titebond to help hold them in. I also am now in the habit of pressing in my frets with a homemade maple caul and large vice.

9. maito

maito TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Finland
    IMG_20180806_212719.jpg

IMG_20180806_212626.jpg

Started my first lap steel build. I have old Lace Sensor Blue tele bridge pup laying unused, anyone know if that would work ok, i read somewhere that their height needs to be set more precisely than "normal" pups.
    Could that be an issue as im planning on replacing saddles with one big straight brass bar so strings will be bit higher than on guitar.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    2blue2, Jake Nelson, Zepfan and 2 others like this.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I've been making progress on my Tweed Pro cab. Lots of mistakes on this first time upholstery job, but it'll work.

I painted the raw uncovered cab inside and out with two coats of Zinsser's Amber Bulls Eye Shellac, sanded, and then here's the freshly applied tweed. I got the tweed from Angela.

20180803_181554.jpg

And here it is tonight, after five or six coats of clear shellac, and one coat of amber, sanded between each coat.

20180807_004500.jpg

While I've been waiting for shellac to dry, I applied the binding to my Telecaster project.

20180807_014648.jpg

11. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    Western Australia
    Nice tight tweed there, Moosie.

Been waiting for a Gotoh vintage double cutaway bridge to arrive to wind up the whitebait whiteguard but ran out of patience and stuck on an old Gotoh modern to get her going....
    can't say I'm enamoured of the 'gold' huon pine top, unfortunately :(

Whiteguard.jpg

ModerneGuy and moosie like this.

12. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Yep, I put a walnut fretboard on my very first build. It's been going strong for about 7 years now, and I've not had any problems with frets at all.

Barncaster and guitarbuilder like this.

13. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Got some barn wood from a friend the other day. This wood came from his family property here in central Texas. It is Douglas Fir. I cut it down to planks and then ran them through the planer. The center core is a mystery wood, I have no idea what it is...I know it is heavy...it has a pleasant smell when sanding, cutting or routing. Anyhow...have been itching to do another plank guitar...I started gluing up the back pieces today and cut out a neck on the Xcarve...didn't have my photo taking device handy...
    mss2.jpg mss1.jpg ms5.jpg ms8.jpg ms10.jpg

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The soundhole has a natural look to it Clint.:D
    That's going to look good.

15. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2012
    IMG_4647.JPG . Starting on a “sort of” jazzcaster body.

2blue2 and Lake Placid Blue like this.

16. Getting the assembly done before setup on a build. Cherry with curly maple cap and curly maple pickguard and fretboard.

1534034748503.jpg 1534034769917.jpg 1534034775670.jpg 1534034786360.jpg 1534034794726.jpg 1534034806935.jpg

Macrogats, 2blue2, Zepfan and 7 others like this.

17. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    Dang. That's for me right? Got me sweating over here. Great work.

Johnson johnson and eallen like this.

18. Haha. Absolutely who I was thinking it was for!

Thanks.

19. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    You guys are driving me nuts with all of your pretty guitars. I Haven’t been on here in a while, and haven’t had anytime to work on guitars. We’re siding our house so my garage is filled with supplies. Have no space to work in there and I’ve been itching to build something. Busted out the hand tools and started making this. I’ve always wanted an rc boat. It’s doest have strings but it’s has electronics.

Attached Files:

20. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.