Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Well Zep,
    There has been a trend of guitar resurrections here lately and I think that’s great. Are you going to attempt it?
    Rob

2blue2 likes this.

2. Barncaster

Wow Steve! What do you have going on there?

3. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    It's my shop. Half of it has a roof. The other half is on the ground waiting for me to salvage it before it rots. I bought the 2,000 sq ft bldg for $2500 because it next door to the building I live in and already had some woodworking tools and wood in it. A lifelong chore I'm sure. (And now back to our regularly scheduled programming). What's on your workbench

2blue2 likes this.

4. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Not really ON the workbench. More like UNDER it.

Cedar 7 wks.JPG

Her name is Cedar. Chocolate Lab. She'll be 8 weeks old next Tuesday

2blue2, FenderLover, SacDAve and 10 others like this.

5. Barncaster

Cute! Give her a scritch behind the ears for me.

6. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX

7. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California

8. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    Western Australia
    Haha, from the cute to.....Buddy!

Just back from the Perth Wood Show with some beaut bits - 2 bookmatched jam wood 'fretboards' (absolute minimum length, treating the ends like babies), 2m x 200mm x 42mm of birdseye poplar and some $1 offcuts of various desert timbers & burls (for ferrule blocks):

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

Fretted the wandoo/tassy myrtle neck, just smoothing fret ends and fretboard edges....made a new fret slotting jig that allows for radiused slots and with a fret press instead of hammer the frets are looking so much more even, pre-levelled, than before....

IMG_9568.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018

9. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    Western Australia
    One of the jam woods - an incredible timber:

jam-wood.jpg

2blue2, paulmarr, nosmo and 3 others like this.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Haven't had time to do much. Been watching my Father-In-Law(has Alzheimer's) while Mother-In-Law's in the hospital with her 5th round of Pneumonia.

The heastock break is most likely too bad to fix(not in the scarf joint), the back is in 3 pieces and I'm missing half of the side pieces. Top has been burnt in one area. Think it's too far gone, must have been the victim of a enraged spouse or girlfriend.:D
    Will probably harvest parts and throw away the rest or use it to make a CBG.

2blue2 and Barncaster like this.

11. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Aww.....what a little cutie. Congrats, and hope you enjoy many, many years together.

nosmo likes this.

12. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Well, first off, I actually made it down to the basement and into the workshop! Then after a quick clean up of the bench top I broke out the router and deepened the neck pocket a touch on these. I had planned to update the program on the cnc before I cut them but I forgot.
    Now I need to start on the neck for the walnut body. Well, maybe after I get back next week from dropping my son off at college.

20180804_154333.jpg

13. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    Hahaha Score!!! On the workbench to tighten up the speaker screws. Got it at a pawn shop yesterday for $200. 50 watt 1-12". I'm still smiling. I can't help myself rps20180803_150808.jpeg rps20180803_150838.jpeg

14. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Duluth, MN
    IMG_1325.JPG IMG_1326.JPG
    1964 telephone microphone to try out on some tube amps :)

15. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    Have been working on and off this bound neck for way too long. Finally finished shaping the back, cleaning the binding and getting almost ready to fret and finish.
    1533445469677.jpg 1533445481053.jpg 1533445488724.jpg 1533445499515.jpg 1533445505868.jpg 1533445514977.jpg

2blue2, Blue Bill, fmmlp and 8 others like this.

16. Barncaster

I’ll give you $250 for it!

nosmo likes this.

17. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    Just some mucking about with wood today, but happy with the outcome...

First, finished a jig to hold the circular saw straight, otherwise it's a pain, and I tend to get less than stellar results. The first bit was finished last week.
    IMG20180729153814.jpg

With the second bit I can suspend the rail up to about 18cm high if I want to. I just need to hold it all together with clamps (I need more clamps)
    IMG20180805151915.jpg

With pretty good results for a circular saw, at least for me.
    IMG20180805151924.jpg

This is wood from my neighbour's patio. Or was my neighbour's patio... I decided to make as many guitars as possible out of it.
    IMG20180805152407.jpg

The whole thing is about 120cm long, which gives about 90cm cutting capacity.
    IMG20180805152751.jpg

This is the result after planing that piece... amazing what you can find inside a patio!
    IMG20180805161207.jpg

I did the planing with this router bit I got last week. I'm amazed at how well and smoothly the planing went, really easy and fast, without hurrying up. A step up from the 1/2 inch bit. And another level of sawdust generation.
    IMG20180805161600.jpg

Not sure what will become of these yet, but I'm sure something will come up.

Cheers,

Albert

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Is that pressure treated lumber?

19. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    I don’t know but his neighbor’s gonna be pissed when he finds out his patio is missing!!

20. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Well, I guess I lied. I hadn't planned on working on the neck for the walnut body but one thing lead to another and this was the end result.

20180805_152804.jpg

A one piece walnut neck. 9.5" radius, will have headstock adjust truss rod. (the truss rod channel has already been cut). Took about 3 hours from start to finish on the CNC. That includes prepping and planning the blank down to a hair over 1". I haven't cut a neck in awhile so it took a bit of extra time to remember all the little details. I should document it someday...
    Anyways, I know there are many people who don't think walnut makes a good fret board. (and others who say it is ok). I haven't tried it before so this is an experiment of sorts. If the frets don't stay put, I will just plane about 0.20" off the top and add a rosewood board. I have one on hand.
    I need to make a truss rod and a maple skunk stripe. Once that is done then I will carve the back profile by hand. I haven't used the cnc for neck profiles yet. I haven't come up with a model I like yet and I also find hand carving it to be enjoyable. (thanks to Marty's tutorial on the facet method). I did use the cnc to put the height transition on the back though.
    And on another note, this may be the last guitar related work done on this version of the cnc. I want to start making some upgrades to it (when is the big question though) . I may use it to cut some wood templates for what the new parts will look like but once I start tearing it apart, it will not be going back together again in its current form.

Oh, forgot to mention the fret slots. This was the first time cutting the slots with the Bosch router. The last time I used my Hitachi and there was about 0.007" run out which meant that the slots came out to about 0.030 when using the .023 bit. That meant having to use the stewmac fret crimper on the wire.
    So this time I used a 0.020 bit and the slots came out at 0.021. Not too bad! I can just hit them with a fret saw if I need.to widen them.

When I said it took about 3 hours, that includes all the prep, bit changes, ponder my next step, talk to my wife time. The actual total cutting time on the cnc was less than 1 hour. And 22 minutes of that was just cutting the fret slots.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.