Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    What kind of On :rolleyes: :lol::lol::lol:

Barncaster likes this.

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    1/3 scale pinecaster body off the new and improved x carve. I used a 3/16" straight bit. It took about 5 minutes.

DSC05937.JPG

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    1953 Magnatone Lyric pickup in for a rewind. No bobbin! Just a coil of wire stuffed into a cavity around some magnets filled with wax. Going to get creative and do my best to restore this including melting the old wax down to seal the top so it looks stock. I’ll use modern wax under the old wax. TBC...

IMG_9104.JPG IMG_9106.JPG IMG_9108.JPG IMG_9109.JPG

5. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    How do you like the x carve for guitars? I've been looking at maybe getting one, or the OX, but am undecided due to lack of reviews by guitar specific people. What improvements did you make?

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Originally this was a Shapeoko2. Inventables R&D'd some new parts to increase the accuracy and reduce part numbers and resulting in the X carve. Then they upgraded the x carve into a new and improved x carve. I wasn't impressed with the end result of the shapeoko2. This iteration makes me at least want to try some guitar parts.

This 1/3 scale body was the first thing I've made with it. I figured I'd mess up less amounts of wood. I'll try a body and neck too. I think the addition of the trim router makes a ton of difference. I can't make any recommendations yet, as that would be premature. There's still some flex in the x carve , but not as much as the shapeoko. I don't think it is a bad entry level machine to get your feet wet, but I would prefer a more robust machine myself at this point. Those little wheels aren't the same as linear guides.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

7. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Such a cool pickup. Are those ceramic magnets?

8. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    You should try and make a whole guitar this size, it sure would be hard to play, a lot of building your own parts I can imagine. I’d buy one :)

guitarbuilder likes this.

9. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    Installed the tuners on my Maverick neck. Still debating if I wanna install the string tree in front or behind the first two tuners.

808C2123-FDC9-4A32-AA75-C5B19E4F490F.jpeg 0CCBAD73-66AF-4E76-BACD-39564375FA1C.jpeg

Barncaster and parkwood like this.

10. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    No way, they are some kind of AlNiCo I'm sure.

Barncaster likes this.

11. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    Similar to one I'm kinda doing. Red oak fretboard, squire body, Japan neck IMG_20180704_110703.jpeg IMG_20180701_221527.jpeg

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Had too much time on my hands today. I made a junkyard set of bongos with a snare drum shell(plywood glued to one side), old tea container and old Pringles container.
    Turned out better than I expected, but don't expect me to go on tour.

Attached Files:

richa, Jerry Lee and Lake Placid Blue like this.

13. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    Now I’m craving Pringles.

Zepfan likes this.

14. Steveinthesticks

Steveinthesticks Tele-Meister

May 11, 2006
    Austin
    Isn't Spinal Tap looking for a another drummer?

15. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    I am under the impression that being a drummer for Spinal Tap is a hot position.
    Cheers,
    Woody

16. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Ordered a Black Pearl pickguard sheet and it arrived today,.......broken. Right through the center of course make the sheet useless unless I want 2 trem cavity covers.

I know how this got broken. Da** lazy a** postal worker tried to stuff it in the mail box instead of getting out of the vehicle, which they ended up having to do anyways and dropped it near the door without notifying me that I had a package of course.

Jerry Lee and Lake Placid Blue like this.

17. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    The pine base for the winder had a bit of a curve in it so I replaced it with a piece of 3/4" plywood. I just happened to have a piece that was just the right size.
    Also sanded everything down and hit it with a couple of coats of spray polyurethane. 20180715_165311.jpg

18. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Put strings on the BO Diddly and ran into a couple of problems.

1. I need to route the bridge cavity a little lower. 1/16" to 1/8".

2. The string spacing on both of these Chinese Filtertron clone pickups are 46.5mm.

So it would seem that I need to shop for another bridge all together before I do anything else.

Barncaster likes this.

19. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Why would someone make a bridge pickup with 46.5mm string spacing? And people complained about 50mm being too small.

I suppose that I could make a few ridge cuts in the Lightning Bridge to fix the strings over the poles. At this point the 3 high strings aren't over the poles. The G and B strings are right next to the edge, but the E string is close to 2mm from the edge of the pole.

Just a reminder to anyone building a guitar to check every little thing before starting to build the guitar. I thought that I had, but the pickup's pole spacing slipped my mind.

richa likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.