Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Not so much what's on my workbench as what my workbench is on.

I have an old garage that I use as my workshop. The concrete floor was painted in one area at some point but is mostly bare, and damp tends to come up in the far corner. So recently, I finally got around to putting down a damp-proof epoxy floor paint. This meant, of course, getting everything out and cleaning 50+ years of grime off, but in terms of actually laying the stuff down, it was pretty simple. It has a 2-4 hour pot life and dries reasonably quickly. I used a brush to get right into the floor/wall junctions and did the rest with a roller. As you can see, I went 3-4 bricks up the wall to tank it well past the old DPM.

Here, I'm just starting to get the benches back in

[​IMG]

It was also a chance to move some equipment around, put the router table on (lockable) casters, make some improvements to the dust collection - and throw a bunch of 'useful' stuff out. If it's not been used in 5+ years... I'll probably need it next week.

[​IMG]

I also splashed out on a 9" vice for the main bench. It's a beast! It got its first outing when I finally got around to making a new tote handle for one of my planes (it was busted when I bought it). I printed out the Lee Valley plans and instructions for making a new tote... and then completely ignored them by simply tracing around the old one.

[​IMG]

It got a few coats of stain and then some varnish to make it look pretty. Job done.

[​IMG]

For some vaguely guitar-related content, I have been meaning to make a reverb pedal for a while (are you seeing a theme, yet?). I went for a nice little kit, and despite my electronic ineptitude, it went together pretty easily. The PCB is compact but well laid-out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the guy's done some nice things with the switch and connections

[​IMG]

It uses an Accutronics 'Belton Brick' to do the boing-y stuff

I made up a little image for the front of the enclosure and transferred it on (I think this is what's referred to in the trade as a 'distressed look'. I'm sure pedal enthusiasts will be distressed).

[​IMG]

Sounds very nice!

2. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Playing around with an old reel to reel.
    Needs belts but otherwise appears to be fully operational. It has four heads and sound on sound. I need to find the old tapes I have and make some loops to use it as a tape echo.
    20180613_112720.jpg 20180613_112739.jpg 20180613_112052.jpg

3. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    Can someone enlighten me please on how was this bridge bent like this?
    1528945694125.jpg

The guitar is even not so bad condition and show no sign of abuse to cause such damage to a metal part

1528945764516.jpg
    1528945772683.jpg

4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    String pressure on weak metal. You seriously need to fix the bridge and stop tail screw inserts. They're pulling out of the body.

6. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    It's from being under tension for a long time or in some cases they are just pot metal. Even Gibson factory ABR-1's can do that over time.

sergiomajluf and Barncaster like this.
  8. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Heavy duty palm muting!

nickhofen and sergiomajluf like this.
  9. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    probably a batch of real soft pot metal. I’d be looking into the tail piece bushing coming out. Is it the picture or does it look like paper has been stuffed in to hold it tight in the hole.

Zepfan likes this.
  10. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    Both bushings had some wood shavings to match the hole width. 3 of the 4 posts were loose. I think I'll plug the holes and start over. This was supposed to be just a relic job for a friend but it'll quickly become a full overhaul
    1529025629733.jpg

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    It may be the wood is too soft to hold them. If so you'll have a big decision to make on how to fix it.

sergiomajluf likes this.
  12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I would just take a couple pieces of veneer and put them in front of the bushings and push them back in. This kind of thing happens in old Les Paul juniors when the end grain of the hole gets compressed from the string tension pulling forward.

sergiomajluf likes this.
  13. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Finally got the limited edition strap done. Introducing, The Patriot!

[​IMG]

We only made 6 and have 4 left. Once they're gone, they're gone.

14. lincolnbuck

lincolnbuck TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Oregon
    Building a nice new Tele

Attached Files:

2blue2 and Jake Nelson like this.
  15. lincolnbuck

lincolnbuck TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Oregon
    I have used epoxy in the past with great results

sergiomajluf likes this.
  16. lincolnbuck

lincolnbuck TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Oregon
    Chrysler Dark Blue Metallic. Can't tell with this pic but it is good looking. Waiting a month or so before wet sanding and polishing.

Attached Files:

17. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Garage looks great, as does the new tote. That pedal is really nice looking, nice and tidy—How do those little boxes compare to spring units in vintage Fender reverb amps?

18. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    New strings for the Honer D6 Clavinet! Lots of work here but I’m so excited to get this bad machine operational. Also installing new hammer tips. The originals have disintegrated into the squishy sticky clay like substance. If Stevie Wonder could see this I bet he’d smile!

IMG_8881.JPG IMG_8884.JPG IMG_8890.JPG

richa, telemnemonics, 2blue2 and 3 others like this.
  19. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    So this popped up on my Facebook last night.
    s-l400.jpg
    Eight String Bass Bridge from our Canadian buddy Bezdez. Which of course got the little gears in my head turning. An eight string would sound amazing for the music my band Surely Lorraine plays. Gothy New Wave kind of stuff. Think The Cure or Siouxsee and The Banshees.
    While looking around online for a cheap bass to convert and thinking about body designs for a scratch build I remembered I had a bass body and neck in the garage.
    20180616_093213.jpg
    The body is another $15 GFS buyout impulse buy. I like the P/J pickup arrangement and have a few of those laying around.
    20180616_093339.jpg
    The neck was Ebay. I think I had planned on making it fretless but wasn't crazy about the crown inlays. I will have to enlarge the headstock for all those tuners. But it is a nice wide P Bass neck profile so I will have just enough room for the extra strings.
    20180616_095218.jpg
    The candy apple red finish is in pretty good condition for a Buyout body. A couple of dings on the pack but overall it should polish up nicely. And it has a cavity for a battery so I'll dig out the Artec preamp and make this one active.
    20180616_093254.jpg
    Can't recall what the Sharpie sketches were all about but I'll clean those off and leave the body as is.

20. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Thanks Rick. I don't have anything to compare it to - and, to be honest, I wouldn't know a spring reverb from a spring onion if I heard it - but I quite like it. It's a fairly simple circuit so this version of the brick has a fixed decay (2.5 sec) and you can dial it in with the knobs. Someone's done a video here if you want a listen. There is a version with a variable decay, but that's a bit gucci - I just wanted a straightforward verb to mess around with. My musical noodlings don't stretch to more :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.