Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Hard to tell, maybe redwood-ish? Is it soft, but not as soft as cedar?

LeftFinger likes this.

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Man, it's a wormhole. Not hard, just lots of research regarding what size and type of system is right for you. Honestly the best thing you can do when you are ready is hit the googles with "diy nickel plating". I have an electroplating system. There is also electro-less nickel plating. It's really awesome to be able to do this in house I have to say! The fumes are not that bad at all. You just need a ventilated space. My system has zero waste. I top up my tanks with distilled water as it evaporates and use the same degreaser in the cleaning tank and electrolyte in the plating tank. It's actually very low impact on my environment. Chrome plating requires much more power and generates far more impactful consequences for the environment. Still...I wear big yellow rubber gloves and keep the fans on when I am running the system. I highly encourage you to jump in!!!

3. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Sure looks like Redwood to me! In fact I would be shocked if it was anything but...

Barncaster and LeftFinger like this.

4. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Quite soft

2 votes for redwood .
    I'll go with that . there is not a lot of it around here:)

Barncaster likes this.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    My new dado stack arrives tomorrow, and I need a new throat plate for it. This is for a Dewalt job saw. I copied all the fussy milling on the Lee Valley I use for every day work.

Fits so nice, I'll feel bad cutting a big hole in it tomorrow.

20180512_145640.jpg

20180512_145709.jpg

6. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Nice job, moosie. That’s good looking work.
    If I could, I’d make up a bunch of them while jigged up for it-all kinds of zero clearance opportunities arise. But my stupid Delta hybrid saw has such thin steel throat plates, you can’t make custom zero clearance or others for it, without a full metal shop. Wood plates would be too thin. The saw did come with a dado throat plate, but the hole in it is so big a small family could fall through the slop on both sides and both ends. I attribute a good bit of annoying tear out to this sad fact.

Barncaster likes this.

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Thanks. It took longer to make than it should have. The plate is 1/2" poplar. I don't have a planer, and I should have thicknessed it with a router sled. But I forgot about that (until I needed to cut those squirrelly rabbets). I can confirm that my bandsaw resaw setup actually works. It didn't take too long with a hand plane to clean it up. Good thing I'm not paid by the hour.

After I got about halfway through the project, I realized I should have made a bunch. At least next time I know how!

LeftFinger likes this.

8. LeftFinger

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    I have made worse resaws
    Redwood Cedar Popcicle Stick 006.jpg Redwood Cedar Popcicle Stick 004.jpg

2blue2, Zepfan, Barncaster and 2 others like this.

9. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I think my little Grizzly saw would keel right over if I came at it with that slab!

LeftFinger likes this.

10. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    LeftFinger and moosie like this.

11. LeftFinger

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    The slab measured roughly 2 1/2" x 4 ' x 26"

Cut it down to 48" x 13" My planer and my bandsaw both will just do 13" . Joint the cut edge,
    Plane the slabs a little , run straight edge through 10" table saw , set up resaw guide at 1 1/8 " , Run through bandsaw

and there you be :D I love this new Rikon
    Redwood Cedar Popcicle Stick 007.jpg

2blue2 and moosie like this.

12. LeftFinger

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    The slab measured 2 1/2" x 26" x 48 "

Cut it in half lengthwise , joint , plane a little ,10 " table saw , 14" Rikon
    I love my new bandsaw :D
    Band saw and planer do 13" Redwood Cedar Popcicle Stick 007.jpg

ndeli55 likes this.

13. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    image-4.jpg Back to this one while I wait on the finish guy to...um, well...finish a body and neck. Picked up a Lollar Chicago Steel and made a matching koa surround for it.

14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    with a lefty neck even more, reversed headstock ;-)

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Even after 6 or so months of not only figuring this out by ear, but getting up to (~80%) speed, I’ve never tired of it:

16. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Working on the shiny/not shiny sheen. The surface texture is tightening up as the lacquer cures. This is a walk away vintage style finish right out of the gun. 1930’s Martin finish texture is what I’m shooting for. A glass flat perfect finish is not the goal here. BTW .0023” film thickness!!!

IMG_8460.JPG

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

To put that in perspective, that’s just a touch thinner than 42AWG single build magnet wire diameter most pups are wound with!

18. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Oops, I think I dropped this into the wrong thread. Sorry folks.

Barncaster likes this.

19. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Bud did you learn it while sitting on your bench? I think we might be able to keep you in. Great work, BTW!

moosie and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.