Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    Good to here from you Dave, hope all goes well and things work out.
    Cheers,
    Woody

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California

Ohh man, I'm NO expert in this field and know just enough to be dangerous. I can't say anything except that the Stradivarius design is the most well known and copied of all the historical violin makers. There are several others that are absolutely exceptional instruments that are thought of as equals. I can't even begin to tell you anything about the nuances between them all with any kind of authority. Sorry for not being much help!

Boomhauer likes this.

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    There was a great story on 60 Minutes a few years back on the history of Stradivarius and the town/village of Cremona in Italy. There are a bunch of builders there now that pretty much build the same style and use the methods he created. Itzhak Perlman was on and he said at that time that an original (like his) would go for around 15 million and even he couldn't ever afford another one. A proven build formula something like what Leo did.:)

Mark Grant, Barncaster and Boomhauer like this.

4. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Sperzels.
    $50 on eBay.
    Even tho they are sold as 6 in line or 3x3, each tuner head is easily reversible, so you can make any configuration you want.

Barncaster and ndeli55 like this.

5. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Well, I guess I’ll have to keep my word, and, uh, like you a lot.

Meteorman likes this.

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2018
    Nawth Alabama
    Taking a 2" thick glue-up slab of Sassafras down to 1-3/4" today. This pic measures about 0.07" (1.5mm) short of goal. Sasquire Thicknessing.jpg

alathIN, fidopunk, Zepfan and 4 others like this.

7. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

wired it up and it works.. no hums...sweet...

had to make up a control plate and a neck pickup ring to hold everything...

I'm out of knobs though.... had to order some in.... weighs in @ 7.7 Lbs.... not too bad..

DSCN1390.JPG

8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I used good old standby regular Titebond I (red)
    Koa, at least the few pieces I have, vary in hardness or at least my perception of it. That top, wholly cow I'd say it's harder than any maple drop top I have ever used. The neck wood I am using for that guitar is also Koa and it kind of resembles more of a Mahogany feel.
    Koa chips easily, I'm not saying it's brittle but I've had some issues with tear outs even on multiple super shallow passes with a router, hell I had a tear out with a sander and 80 grit and even while scraping the radius on the edge. I'm finding it difficult to finish sand as well. I made a head plate veneer and a cavity cover from the top scraps and sanding all these pieces has be nightmarish. IMG_5656.JPG Mainly because the stock I have is very porous and I keep finding/uncovering tiny voids as I sand the top. I love the look of the wood, it's still a favorite but only in the looks department. I'll rule it out as a favorite wood to work with.
    I wasn't crazy about how light colored the Sapele mahogany is so I stained it. IMG_5660.JPG

9. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Had a good morning. I have a neck blank rough cut and a good working template. Now to study.

69919C46-6C73-4D1D-91E6-58DDA1B86BDA.jpeg

R. Stratenstein and Bristlehound like this.

10. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I like that headstock... sort of 'modern-traditional'.

ndeli55 likes this.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Ahh, Tone you can taste. Looks good.

12. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Thanks, If you are talking to me, that's what I was going for.

13. strat54

strat54 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    Thanks for the "heads up" on the Koa:eek:! I am glad I haven't already purchased it here in Atlanta. I definitely don't want to get into a 30 hour carve and have it chunk pieces out while sanding and shaping:mad:. Visually, once you stained that Sapele mahogany it went from a 2 to a 10:). Thanks, again;).

DrASATele likes this.

14. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    been wanting a 2x12 upright cabinet...today was a good day to get started...i have pair of Eminence Texas Heat speakers to throw in it. cab dimensions are: 20"w x 28.5"h bottom is 14" and the top is 10".

212a.jpg 212b.jpg

kafka, Mark Grant, alathIN and 5 others like this.

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I like this plan!

Clint Walker likes this.

16. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Jeez Jup!!!!!! Whatever you do don't start a speaker cabinet just yet!!!! Finish the "you know what" first!

DC

coonhollow greg likes this.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Likin don't cost nothin

18. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_7672.JPG IMG_7675.JPG IMG_7676.JPG IMG_7677.JPG

Quilted Maple & Koa A2 rod mag P90’s. Wide spaced, 2 3/8” at the bridge upon request for Eric Schoenberg. Finished with hemp twine and schellac.

ndeli55, DrASATele, devrock and 9 others like this.

19. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    Mark Grant likes this.

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Sweet Mark!

For those who don’t know Eric, he is THE man for all things vintage Martin in these parts. His tiny but amazing shop in Tiburon, CA is not to be missed if you are in the area.

Rob

Mark Grant likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.