Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles

2. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2018
    Range View, Australia

The back brace is a new one for me and so is Jeff Traugott and his wonderful guitars! Thanks.

Mark Grant likes this.

3. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2018
    Range View, Australia
    The dial indicator is from a local engineering supplier Hare and Forbes. The StewMac ones also have a hefty shipping cost for me. The top and bottom arms are fairly beefy to avoid flex in the timber in use.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

4. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2018
    Range View, Australia
    Tassie and Victorian Blackwood are being used by the Hawaiians as an option to koa on ukes and guitars. First glance and I thought you had some blackwood. Blackwood can burn very easily under a router.

DrASATele likes this.

5. Tone Eee

Tone Eee Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Stapling Fender grill cloth on my Silver Stripe Peavey Bandit
    Because why not.

I'll post pics of my "silverface bandit" on the amp forum when I I'm done

pjohnny likes this.

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_7637.JPG IMG_7639.JPG

1930’s French Stradivarius strung up after a neck reset. I am totally impressed with how good this thing sounds and plays. Yesterday I fashioned a new Ebony nut and tuned up the fingerboard. It’s my first violin so I went cheap on the strings (didn’t even know if this was going to be a player). Used D’Addario Prelude med tension strings. If it sounds this good with cheap strings I can’t wait to hear it with nice strings & in the hands of somebody who can actually play it! Stoked! Have a good weekend everybody!

DrASATele, nickhofen, richa and 4 others like this.

7. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I'm curious about violin nomenclature. I know Stradivarius was a guy, but are modern violins called "Stradivarius" because of the building technique or something?

Quake-caster likes this.

8. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Yes. “In the style of...”

Like a Strat or Tele. Everybody calls their knock off what??? A Strat or Tele.

A. Stradivarius built in the 1700’s in Italy. Something from France in the 1930’s is obviously a copy.

9. Boomhauer

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Cool! Now my curiosity is piqued...are there other prevalent styles of violins?

10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    pachap likes this.

11. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Absolutely. Hit that Gooooooogle thing!!!

Boomhauer likes this.

12. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Unfortunarely I haven't built in about three years.Sickness and my son have had a friend move into my workspace, his bedroom.Will be moving soon so hope to at least finish those promised.If I can do that maybe the ones I wanted can be next.Thanks so much for asking, you guys are always in my heart

13. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Probably Guarneri del Gesu.

14. Boomhauer

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    This is a new rabbit hole that I didn't know I wanted to dive into

Mark Grant likes this.

15. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    That's exactly where I found myself my friend. All of a sudden I am repairing fine instruments and absolutely loving it! Modern chamber music is awesome. Just saw a group called Cosa Nostra Strings a few weeks back. Violin, Viola, Cello, electric bass/trombone & a drummer on an improvised rock kit based around a cajon for the bass drum. It was awesome. We all DUG it. The girls have been listening and dancing to Lindsey Sterling for a few years now. As fate has it...we walked into the local music store for a set of acoustic strings. I have known the proprietor nearly my entire life. We were visiting and I remarked to my young daughter about the violin he had on his wall. He says something like, "You interested in violins? I know your daddy knows how to glue things together really well. I have something for you guys..." He grabs the old French Strad first. Then he digs up a 3/4 newer student model for my 10 yr old daughter with the headstock broken off cleanly through the tuner holes. Then he finds a 1/2 size for my 7 yr old that only needed a bridge. The girls were lit up!!! It's been a great trip. They are really freaking hard to play and I am intrigued by that. My little one was in tears the first time she tried to play her's. This is GOOD for them...

16. Boomhauer

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    My sister played violin from 4th grade on in school, and my wife played viola, so I've had at least a passing familiarity with bowed instruments for most of my life, but like I said, I had no idea how deep that rabbit hole went!

Help me out here...a Strad, like an acoustic dreadnought, is the standard shape that everyone and their duck makes; has a decent, almost universal sound that's well adapted to most scenarios; and has corresponding square(ish) shoulders. A Guarneri is more similar to maybe a concert guitar, both in having more pronounced curves, and (this is where I get fuzzy) a slightly fuller/warmer sound, potentially less well-suited for fiddling. Going deeper than the two main shapes, other main subtypes of violin have to do with the types and combinations of woods used; spruce, poplar, maple, willow, etc. Is that correct in any way, shape, or form?

17. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Well, I have nothing on the bench today. I spent the afternoon looking for a 2x4 tuner set that won't break the bank. In the end, it's going to be expensive regardless, so I think I'll just get what I want anyway: Hipshot Gridlock open backs.

I had two sets of Grovers floating around that would do fine, if they didn't slightly miss match. They have a different stamp, and other slight differences I can't deal with i.e. Different wave washers for the tuning buttons. If anyone knows where a 2x4 NOT 4x2 set can be found, well, I'd like that person a lot.

Macrogats likes this.

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

It's alive.... set the bridge and strung up the Tele bass just now,... just need to set up the electrics next.....

I set up my bridges with a few short pickguard screws first to check the position/intonation before putting the permanent screws in... just in case the bridge might need repositioning...

in this case.. it was in the sweet spot and I didn't even need to move the saddles to adjust the intonation or height...... lucked out there...I just used my P bass to get the scale length measurement and added 1/16" so the saddles would stay forward on the bridge....:D

it only needed some truss rod tension to flatten it a bit.....:cool:

not sure about finishes yet.... thought I'd fit everything first before deciding on that....

DSCN1381.JPG

DSCN1382.JPG

DSCN1385.JPG

DSCN1384.JPG

Barncaster, Piggy Stu and Mase like this.

19. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Work on the neck has stopped until the carbon fibre rods I ordered get here - may be some weeks so time to resolve some stuff I (deliberately) hadn't fully thought through. Firstly, I drilled some holes for volumes (yeah, just volumes) and toggle switch.

The tailpiece will be a combination of aluminium and ebony - the idea (at this point) is for the strings to feed through an aluminium block with a kind of "L" profile which will be screwed into the body. The ebony's only function really is an aesthetic one - and will cover the string end side of the tailpiece. It needs to be easily removable though for changing strings - don't want to be getting out a screwdriver to do this. Initially I was thinking I might affix it using a thumbwheel bolt ...but now am
    attracted to the idea of magnets. Some more shopping to be done then ... I roughly cut the ebony today. The idea is that it will eventually be radiused on top - using my fretboard radiusing beam.

[​IMG]

20. strat54

strat54 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    Hey DrASATele, I love the look of the koa top on the left. If you don't mind I have a couple questions: 1)What type of glue or bonding agent was used to join the koa book match? 2)Since you are familiar working with the koa, where would you rank it as far as hardness? Is it harder than maple or cocobolo? I am wanting to try koa out if it will hold up to detailed relief carving. Keep up the great work:)!

DrASATele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.