Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. strat54

strat54 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    Hey Meteorman, I actually found some reference photos to go by on the internet of the real snake that was this yellow phase and had the burnt orange stripe running down his back. The more I look I am finding that the Timber Rattler comes in a wide variety of color phases from almost all black to yellow to pink down in Florida:). I guess you got some living in your neck of the woods?

Meteorman likes this.
  2. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    W - O - W...!!!!!

Stunning! :eek:

strat54 likes this.
  3. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    That is ridiculously cool!

strat54 likes this.
  4. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    I inherited one of those from my Mum who got it from her mother. It had been in the case all its life and was in good condition. My younger daughter tried to learn but gave it away for piano. I gave it to a lady I knew whose daughter and grand daughter used to play in a local orchestra but the granddaughter's violin was not in good playing condition, but sadly in the flood of 2013 apparently it sustained water damage and the case was kaput!

DC

5. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Got an unexpected opportunity to do some work this afternoon - sent home from work as the building's aircon had failed yesterday, fears of legionnaires disease etc. Sooo I built up the courage to drill some holes in the headstock - again.

I had drilled the six conventional ones the other day but ended up plugging and re-drilling three of them. Despite measuring numerous times seems a few of them were off by about a millimetre - it gets crowded in there so not much room for error. I'd normally drill for the bushings first but seems I forgot today so will either have to re-drill (risky) or more likely ream them to size. At least I'll only have to do the ones for the front face.

I did get a bit of tear out when drilling for the back facing tuners (in the slots) which I'll go back and fill - the intention is to have a black headstock face which would include the slot areas ...

Also these are the tuners - originally purchased on aesthetic grounds, and because I like Gotohs, they have the advantage of being considerably lighter that those with metal keys. This guitar will be very light so this was a pleasant surprise after being a bit worried about neck dive.

More details when I get round to starting a thread for it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

betocool, TigerG, Jackadder and 2 others like this.
  6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Ohh man, that totally stinks! I hope just the case was ruined and not the violin. Strings & bridge on the way for mine. Need to fashion a new ebony nut as well. Never tried to play one but I'm determined to make some noise. My daughters (10 & 7) are also going to give it a shot. I brought home a 1/2 and 3/4 size for them. Both broken and needing repair. No money invested nothing to loose! haha

7. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Awesome carving!!
    I flooded the front and back with several coats of Z-poxy and let it soak in, hopefully keeping the splits from increasing. No need to kiln dry, it was over 100 years old.

strat54 likes this.
  8. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_7600.JPG IMG_7598.JPG

After tons of millwork I’m finally joining the crafting the backs for my Grand Parlor acoustic builds. Wenge with Maple/Ebony/Maple back strip. Spruce seam reinforcement and bracing. My design uses 4 braces tied together with a floating brace down the middle to keep the radius and make the box strong while remaining as light as possible.

9. strat54

strat54 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I may need to do that on some of the wood I am going to be working with on another build. I think it will be a headless project. My routing table is too small to work on necks. Would you know anyone that is currently routing headless necks?:) Thanks, again.

10. strat54

strat54 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    Hey LOOK ya'll! A TRUE hard rock guitar:). This BABY STRAT is the kind of stuff I make when I am really bored:( Actually I poured it from a mold that I made. This 3-stringer is a stepping stone made out of concrete. It never goes outta' tune and the humidity doesn't warp the neck;) It's about 20 inches long so being concrete, it is the heaviest guitar I own by far:D.
    stone strat4.jpg stone strat3.jpg stone strat2.jpg

11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Same tuner arrangement on my snakehead 12,almost looks like the same tuners.Also very light

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I put the tuners on my Bass neck after some coats of D/oil cured nice and hard/shiny....

a big day... 16 holes and 16 screws..:D

I guess, I should put the bridge on now and string it up....but I don't want to push myself..:rolleyes:

bass neck shine1.jpg

bss neck shiny2.jpg

DSCN1376.JPG

DSCN1377.JPG

13. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Dave, and i remember it too. Might have been one of the first 12 builds I saw on this forum from my early days here. Do you have any projects going yourself at the moment? It would be a shame if you don't. Hope all is good with you - cheers.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    It's funny how one build spurs on other builds. In the back round you can see the painted DC I'm working on for my sons school. The first neck went belly up so I made a new one and while I was waiting for glue and other things to dry I picked at my old challenge build and my Koa topped mahogany DC and they have kind of taken over my attention a little bit. IMG_5641.JPG

The Koa topped Mahogany (left) weighs about 4lbs as you see it. The neck is Koa topped with QS Indian Rosewood. The roasted Ash thinline weights about 7lbs and has a roasted Quilted Maple back with a flame maple board. I can not wait to get the set of original WRHB into that thin line. I had to make routing templates so that I can direct mount them to the body. IMG_5640.JPG

This is kind of dream build in many ways. I've loved the look of Koa since I went to the islands when I was 19 with my family. When I saw guitars built @ Echopark Guitars by Gabe Currie I knew I wanted a Koa Topped something, his work is just so inspiring to me. Anywho I took 2 pretty shabby looking 3/16 book matched boards that had my uncle help me join despite some cupping and warping. I cut up what had to be the lightest Sapele I've ever handled into 4 slabs and then cut out this one piece DC Tele body and then stupidly added some additional chambers (I like my thin lines what can I say) It's moving along now. It will get a wrap around bridge with Curtis Novak Firebird p'up in the neck and an Onamac Windery P90 p'up in the bridge. 3 way toggle a volume and a tone knob. Man I can't wait to get back to these . . .

strat54, Deneb, Jackadder and 2 others like this.
  15. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I worked on this all last night until I was finally happy with the shape, but, alas, either I drew them wrong, or the program lost dimensions for the tuners, a minor rework is in order for this evening

F498872F-D732-49AB-9ED0-056FC4865FDF.jpeg

16. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_7607.JPG IMG_7609.JPG IMG_7611.JPG IMG_7605.JPG IMG_7613.JPG

Time to bend up some sides!

Blue Bill, RogerC, TigerG and 8 others like this.
  17. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    What a shame to have to close the box at some point and hide that bracing. Stunning work there.

18. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    No doubt! But I am excited to put them to work. Thank you so much for your nice words.

19. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    Western Australia
    Started on two necks for the blackwood Esquire. I recently acquired 6m of q-sawn blackwood boards, air dried 20 years, and these two came from a 1m piece that is ridiculously dense, particularly at one end, as you can see from the close-up. The fretboards are wandoo floorboards from the 1930's.

I do have a preference as far as the 'look' goes but will be going with the neck that feels best......hope it's the best looker ;)

IMG_8812.jpg IMG_8828.jpg

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8826.jpg IMG_8829.jpg

IMG_8817.jpg

20. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    IMG_2659.JPG
    Prototyping the placement of components for my turntable amp system.
    I’m building this to repurpose some home theater speakers I got science the “brain” farted out.

richa, TigerG, JeffBlue and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.