Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You mean I should put the body in front of some speakers and play the Albert Hall Cream concert repeatedly to the wood.... to infuse some JB into the grain?....:lol:

could work...;)

2. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Both paint it and infuse it,

some JB can do no harm

Maybe even a little J&B rare :lol:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Newbcaster likes this.

3. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2006
    Nashua NH
    This was assembled Wednesday night, set up Thursday night. I did the soldering Tuesday night installing the pre-wired pickguard to the trem claw ground and the output jack leads then the bridge and springs.

After fixing some minor string alignment issue I gave it a setup and even tried to so some recording with it.

[​IMG]

4. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2015
    Virginia
    E5BFFBA3-5AFE-40ED-8B7F-6E27C9748280.jpeg Finally started spraying

fidopunk, Barncaster, Zepfan and 3 others like this.

5. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Holic

Apr 8, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    Tele Home Depot is what got me a couple years back into partscasters and soon after that amplifier building, so heartfelt thanks for that. I don't get to post much in here, but today I have a bit of shade-tree luthierie. Electric cellos usually take advantage of the solid body to eliminate the bulk of an acoustic, but then you have to redesign all the ergonomics or provide some kind of detachable frame to provide traditional touch points. My old Zeta does the latter, but the knee rests are held on by a thumbwheel with too few threads engaged. I made a shim a couple mm thick from an offcut of the vulcanized fiberboard some amp builders mount circuit components on, so that the thumbwheel doesn't bottom out against the cello body and a few more threads engage.
    IMG_1834.JPG
    Restrung yesterday. I bought imported strings for the first time. Half the price of even 'student' quality USA strings. Curious to see if they are any good.
    IMG_1832.JPG
    I'm a rubbish cellist, so there is a good chance I will not appreciate any difference :rolleyes:

IMG_1837.JPG
    No tone problems a Boss Super Overdrive can't iron out? Cheers

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    fidopunk, richa, Barncaster and 9 others like this.

6. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    There are numerous cracks/splits/nail holes and knots that I flooded with Zpoxy, several coats, to try and stabilize everything. Sanded those back so the body was level.

Zepfan likes this.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Is it that the fret tangs are pushing a backbow into it? Can you pull the frets? Won’t need ‘em on a steel anyway. In any case, I think I would just try brute force, glue it up and clamp it mercilessly.

Boomhauer and Piggy Stu like this.

8. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Slowing working on my 12 string build - which I'll start a thread about sometime soon...

Have spent quite a few hours trying to pre-bend and glue herringbone purfling around the body. I'm about 7/8ths there - the lower horn is giving a lot of grief (not pun intended) - I'm planning on trying a method that was in this stewmac video if anyone else wants to try it ... so much you can learn from those stewmac vids.. Hopefully I'll have some photos of the successful surgery in a few days

This image is with the purfling glued and the outer binding just resting there. Cheers
    [​IMG]

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I got to do some work on my Bo Diddly guitar build. Cut the holes for the pickups and drilled the mounting holes for the pickups. Also got the fretboard ready to mount to the neck.

Attached Files:

10. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    got a couple builds I am finishing up...Have to use up some of that faux ostrich hide some how... 98.JPG 98a.JPG 99.JPG 99b.JPG

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    That bass is pretty bad Clint, that guitar ain't too shabby either. Nice work.

Clint Walker likes this.

12. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

13. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I suppose it's possible. I had half an idea to pop the fret markers off and use Phillips head screws to hold the board down...I've already got a few pieces of threaded stock cut down for the nut and bridge, for a nice industrial chic aesthetic

14. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Thanks Gentlemen!

15. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I had to remove a fretboard once for truss rod replacement. After cleaning the gluing surface well, I glued it back on, and the guitar's been played professionally for several years now. No issues at all. 1/4" of wood isn't going to have much (if any) effect on the mass of neck wood + truss rod.

16. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    I have always loved my birthstone, amethyst.

So if people didn't know... never cut purple heart or any wood, but especially purple heart and exotic hardwoods without a mask, preferably WITH a fan and lots of ventilation.

I had a mask and now I can still breathe but itch like hell.

8 strings, 25.5, gonna be strung A, E to E, with a high A.

I wonder how heavy it's going to be? Probably gonna chamber it.

20180216_034826.jpg 20180216_032654.jpg

Attached Files:

DrASATele, TigerG and Barncaster like this.

17. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Holy Cow, it must weigh at least 50 pounds as is! So it's going to be a one-piece body and neck? Quite a task ahead of you! Best of luck.
    Rex

Newbcaster likes this.

18. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada

19. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Are you sure you didn't spill some siracha on yourself? Jokes aside, I've lucked out. Never had a wood cause itching, besides some bloodwood slivers. Could be the psoriasis or the hot peppers I grow and cut without gloves.

Newbcaster likes this.

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

That Purpleheart slab must have cost a small fortune! It will be beautiful but probably heavy. Are you thinking about chambering the body?
    Rob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.